cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awning will not roll completely.

bankcardrep
Explorer
Explorer
The awning on our 06 Dutchman is probably original. We bought it in 07 and have made no mods.

Yesterday after being extended for 5 days tried to roll it up and it will not go all the way on one end. I have about a 6" fold.

Any ideas on how to fix DIY?

Thx
7 REPLIES 7

bankcardrep
Explorer
Explorer
These answers sound right. We were at the beach and there was a lot of wind so off square is where to start. thanks.

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with the other posters. This is very common especially if the awning has been extended in windy conditions. The awning has either slid at the top where it attaches to the trailer or at the tube. Square it up, insert a screw and you will be fine.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
I think all these problems have the same roots- the fabric gets off-square, and then it can't roll up properly.

Awning fabric is supposed to be installed with retaining screws on both roller and rig side, purpose being to keep things squared up. Some installs don't have the screws, and on others the screws fall out. In nearly every case, squaring up the awning fabric so that when deployed all corners are at perfect right angles will solve the problem.

And once you've found that "sweet spot", drive some retaining screws into the fabric!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
Sounds like a neat DIY cure. I have an issue that it rolls up, ok but kind of off to one side so the two support legs don't overlap right. I read that the cure for that is to loosen the upper end and shift it over and re-tighten the upper end. Not done that.

Is there a similar easy cure for what I have to what the OP has?

Thanks

I have the same problem, and I think it is wear on the arms that let the awning move left and right. Having the pull strap exactly in the center, watching how it rolls, and pulling to the side to offset the wrong overlap often works for me. Sometimes, I have to make two or three tries before it rewinds evenly.
Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a neat DIY cure. I have an issue that it rolls up, ok but kind of off to one side so the two support legs don't overlap right. I read that the cure for that is to loosen the upper end and shift it over and re-tighten the upper end. Not done that.

Is there a similar easy cure for what I have to what the OP has?

Thanks
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
It has probably gotten mis-align. This happens a lot. Think of the awning and then the wind blowing. So as you face the awning, it shifts. All you have to do is place a ladder on the side of the awning close to the front. Now climb up, with the awning roller laying on your shoulder. You should now have the awning at an angle from back to front. Grab the awning material and pull it to you. Normally that is all it takes
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

rhochnadel
Explorer
Explorer
You can get on a ladder and manually roll the owning up the rest of the way for now. In the long run you will probably have to replace a springs or at least wind it up more, great instructions from awning company. Might consider having someone do it for you.
'05 Keystone Challenger TPK
'01 Chev 2500HD Duramax/Allison
Corgi "Pippin" & cat "Sundance":)