cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Breakers for solar

CptSydor
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased all the components for my solar about 1.5 months ago. At that time I ordered a few inline 30amp fuses, but unfortunately they haven't arrived yet. I have everything else, so I've been waiting to install, unfortunately I'm leaving in 2 weeks on a 3.5 month trip, so I need to get this done now.

I ordered ones like this since I was hoping to have it mostly plug and play. Just connect things together. I was hoping to stay way from splicing wired or adding terminal connectors.

In absence of those, what are my options? I can get these inline circuit breakers. Are they appropriate for the places I was going to put fuses?

I could splice in fuses like this, but they always seem to be larger gauge wiring than my solar, but maybe I haven't looked carefully enough.

Any other recommendations? I'm in Canada, so I have places like Princess Auto, etc to work with. Can't order anything online a this point. Preferably the easier the better. I'm confident I can start making new connections, but its not something I've really done.
19 REPLIES 19

CptSydor
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
I have used this

These are quick and easy if you want to disconnect the panel from the controller. If you want top quality, go with blue seas or bussman.

Those are what I have on order. Unfortunately they are MIA in shipping and it they don't seem to be available locally. I ordered them a month ago with everything else ๐Ÿ˜ž

I bought some inline fuse systems today. I think I'll just splice those into the system. Doesn't seem like there are better options.

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
I have used this

These are quick and easy if you want to disconnect the panel from the controller. If you want top quality, go with blue seas or bussman.

X2 on this
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Just my humble opinion, for a small array like an RV will have, why bother with fuses at all between the panels and controller? They cost you voltage (voltage drop) and introduce more failure points for corrosion. How about a simple disconnect switch, when you need to work on the panels, or the charge controller?

The first fuse picture, you shouldn't have to order - Best Buy will have that holder and the fuses for it, it's common for automotive sound installs. I'm surprised Princess doesn't.

The middle breaker is complete junk, well, it's handy for things like lights I guess, but I would avoid it.

The last fuse is OK, I wouldn't wrap it with anything, that will just trap water in, not keep it out. Put some dielectric grease in there if you want more corrosion protection.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I have used this

jpmihalk
Explorer
Explorer
I used the fuses like in the last picture. I then used shrink wrap to seal the splices (and covered them from the elements) and they have been working fine ever since.
John & Kerri
2016 Thor Hurricane 35C with our pups MacDuff, Piper and Annabelle