cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carpenter Ants take out RV....

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
That might be the headline if I do not do something now. Carpenter Ants have moved into a very large (and old) spruce tree right next to where we park our RV. This colony has already been responsible for downing an 80 foot spruce a few years ago. Fortunately we were snowbirding when the tree actually fell.

Do you have any suggestions on how to stop this onslaught? Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
As stated on page one, Amdro. Home Depot sells it.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
Talstar Pro

JMichael
Explorer
Explorer
Borax

JMichael
2001 Newmar KADP 4084

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Chakara wrote:
There are hundreds of species of ants in the US. My understanding is that there are few if any that will eat healthy wood. I believe it is rotten wood they eat. Now that may impact a tree in it's ability to heal - have no idea.

Here in NM, what I call a carpenter ant is a HUGE ant and are fairly easy to control with various baits. They are nocturnal so I've gone out at night and found their trails. Not like a typical ant trail in that it will be one ant every 2-3 yards instead of a steady stream. Anyway, I've personally had good luck with Maxforce products - both the granuals and the "gel" types.

While the products at the hardware stores can work - I have taken to using the same stuff the pro's use. Easily purchased on the internetIt is also perfectly legal....

For these ant bait type products the risk is very low - small amounts strategically placed. For some of the other products consumers can buy I worry a bit due to general availability. The labels need to be clearly read and understood as I suspect some of them are related to the decline in the bee population that has been going on lately.

Anyway, just google "do your own own pest control" and do a bit of reading - can save you a ton of cash. I paid around $40 for an ant control "kit" recently. Last time I did this, it lasted me for about 2 years. Compared to $40/visit from the pro's.

-Chak

Not just rotten wood, healthy wood. Had a colony try to establish themselves in my floor joist of my house. Discovered them there from the fine pile of sawdust. Definitely not rotting wood. I had a friend with Orkin who gave me one of his old "puffers". Basically a small bellows with a pencil sized tip on it. With some AWESOME poison. If ants got it on themselves, it literally sucked the moisture out of them. Took the puffer and puffed in the crevices around the joist. Next day came home to a pile of large black carpenter ants on the basement floor. Worked amazingly well.

As others have said, a good ant bait spread around the area will probably do the trick. Google carpenter ant and I'm sure there are lots of cures out there for them.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

Chakara
Explorer
Explorer
There are hundreds of species of ants in the US. My understanding is that there are few if any that will eat healthy wood. I believe it is rotten wood they eat. Now that may impact a tree in it's ability to heal - have no idea.

Here in NM, what I call a carpenter ant is a HUGE ant and are fairly easy to control with various baits. They are nocturnal so I've gone out at night and found their trails. Not like a typical ant trail in that it will be one ant every 2-3 yards instead of a steady stream. Anyway, I've personally had good luck with Maxforce products - both the granuals and the "gel" types.

While the products at the hardware stores can work - I have taken to using the same stuff the pro's use. Easily purchased on the internetIt is also perfectly legal....

For these ant bait type products the risk is very low - small amounts strategically placed. For some of the other products consumers can buy I worry a bit due to general availability. The labels need to be clearly read and understood as I suspect some of them are related to the decline in the bee population that has been going on lately.

Anyway, just google "do your own own pest control" and do a bit of reading - can save you a ton of cash. I paid around $40 for an ant control "kit" recently. Last time I did this, it lasted me for about 2 years. Compared to $40/visit from the pro's.

-Chak
- 2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 6spd / Pacbrake / Airbags
- 2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5th Wheel
- SOLD: 2007 Keystone Raptor 299MP 33' 5th Toyhauler
- SOLD: 2010 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 246RKS 28'
- SOLD: 2004 Casita Spirit Deluxe
- SOLD: 2007 Dodge Dakota fiberglass topper

Pool
Explorer
Explorer
I Use Bifen IT. good around the house for roaches, fleas, mosquitoes, silverfish, termites. use in different strengths for different bugs

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
Exterminators deal with them all the time and can supply stronger stuff because they are licensed to use it. Call one to get rid of them for you.

X2

We have an annual plan with a pest control guy. A former neighbour kept chickens and he didn't use a lot of care with feed storage and the neighbourhood became infested with rats. The new owner has cleaned it up and the rats have gone--now we have only field mice lol

At any rate, he visits once a month to check on things, we can call him free for an extra visit if a problem (more mice, wasp nests etc) show up.

However, termites and carpenter ants would be an extra charge--they aren't easy to get rid of. Get a pro.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Exterminators deal with them all the time and can supply stronger stuff because they are licensed to use it. Call one to get rid of them for you.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
And! If they have gotten to the core of the Spruce it needs to come down, or it will when you least expect it...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hire a professional to attack the problem. That is the best and surest solution.

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think carpenter ants will be phased by Terro. You need something a bit stronger, I would suggest "AMDPRO" granules, available at Home Depot or Lowes. You sprinkle it on the ground where you see the ant hills or trails. Works in 24 to 48 hours usually. A second application may be needed on a large colony.

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Many thanks, I will get some "Terro".

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Terro. The ants love it and carry it back to feed the queen.

It takes about a week and the entire nest is dead.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

path1
Explorer
Explorer
1/2 of our house was eaten by those things. A lot of info on them on internet, amasing how much damage these things do. After replacing window trim on 4 windows and some framing now they are under control. After getting them under control and trying different things Terro liquid bait seems to worked the best for us.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"