cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Charging a Cordless Drill on 12V?

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
So I have a new 20v cordless drill to drop the jacks on my trailer. Naturally it came with the 110v charger for plugging in at home. I don't intend on setting up an inverter in my rig. For my 18v computer I have an inverter that plugs into my cigarette lighter on my work truck. Is there such an inverter to plug into a cigarette lighter to charge a 20v drill?
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!
28 REPLIES 28

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
landyacht318 wrote:
Several yeas ago, power tool chargers were one of those things which did not enjoy being recharged on a MSW inverter.

I had one such 9.6v Nimh charger which released its magic smoke on a MSW inverter. I was in Baja at the time and hardwired it then and there with 12AGW.

Still have it.

I bought A makita drill/impact driver a few years back, and when I needed to charge without grid power, I did not risk attempting to use My MSW inverter on it.

I got a PSW 400 watt inverter basically just for this duty. ~250 watts is what the charger claimed, and I will seem y battery monitor register a pulsing 25 amp maximum. mostly about 4 amps, when it is charging.

As the battery or charger alone are 90% of the price of a new drill kit combo with 2 new batteries. I was unwilling to risk either charger or battery to MSW.

I find it criminal how expensive a replacement battery for a power tool is. My now corded drill whose charger failed on MSW inverter is still operational, but getting 12v to where needed is a PITA, and it likes to blow 35 amp fuses, which are not cheap.

I now almost never use my MSW inverteranymore, as ther 400 watts of PSW covers my needs, and has less than half the standby current consumption, and 1/1oth the noise

Have heard lots of complaints about power tool chargers and the built-in MSW inverters in Ford trucks. Some work, some don't.

I would follow LandYacht's advice and get a good PSW inverter.

And I would feel more confident using the original tool's charger, especially if the batteries are Li-Ion, which can be a little fussy or so I've heard.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
Stefonius wrote:
What brand is your new cordless drill? Most manufacturers make a battery charger designed for use with a 12v power supply. See this example from DeWalt.

That's it! That's exactly what I need! Mines a 20v DeWalt. All of my problems are solved............now where's that guy that sent the picture of the crank!
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
downtheroad wrote:
Sorry, I just can't resist. But, this all seems way to complicated to me.

You can always rely on this if your drill runs out of juice once in a while.

Excellent! Yes the trailer did come with one of those! But MAN! I have never seen such long winded jacks in my life. My old trailer had the original style B.A.L. jacks and I never needed nor cared about a cordless for those. This new trailer has the scissor type jacks and it took me several minutes each to crank down by hand. It was still too much money @ $1200.00 to get the power jack option.
V-465

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
What brand is your new cordless drill? Most manufacturers make a battery charger designed for use with a 12v power supply. See this example from DeWalt.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I just can't resist. But, this all seems way to complicated to me.

You can always rely on this if your drill runs out of juice once in a while.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

itguy08
Explorer
Explorer
How often do you plan to be without 110v? I know on ours (18v Milwaukee) I can get many, many runs of the drill before it needs to be charged.

Other than that just look at the charger's specs and get an inverter to match. Much cheaper than the 12v options as those chargers tend to be expensive.

If you do absolutely need 12v then check the manufacturer - most offer either a 12v or 110/12v option for charging.

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
Several yeas ago, power tool chargers were one of those things which did not enjoy being recharged on a MSW inverter.

I had one such 9.6v Nimh charger which released its magic smoke on a MSW inverter. I was in Baja at the time and hardwired it then and there with 12AGW.

Still have it.

I bought A makita drill/impact driver a few years back, and when I needed to charge without grid power, I did not risk attempting to use My MSW inverter on it.

I got a PSW 400 watt inverter basically just for this duty. ~250 watts is what the charger claimed, and I will seem y battery monitor register a pulsing 25 amp maximum. mostly about 4 amps, when it is charging.

As the battery or charger alone are 90% of the price of a new drill kit combo with 2 new batteries. I was unwilling to risk either charger or battery to MSW.

I find it criminal how expensive a replacement battery for a power tool is. My now corded drill whose charger failed on MSW inverter is still operational, but getting 12v to where needed is a PITA, and it likes to blow 35 amp fuses, which are not cheap.

I now almost never use my MSW inverteranymore, as ther 400 watts of PSW covers my needs, and has less than half the standby current consumption, and 1/1oth the noise

MrWizard
thats good and works well
IF it was originally 12 v or 9v

won't be worth shinola on a 20v drill

the PC device is a DC - DC power converter, a dedicated device for laptops
have never seen one for cordless drills

just use a small 12>120v inverter
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

uncle_bud
Explorer
Explorer

This works for Me. I gutted a dead battery, and run some outdoor lighting cable to it. It used to have a trolling motor plug on the end and the camper had a receptacle on each side.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many cordless tool systems have car chargers available that plug directly into the lighter socket. (After all, they're aimed at tradesmen who sometimes work at places where there isn't power available or installed yet.) That might be a reasonable option, tooโ€”probably more power efficient than using an inverter to power the 120VAC charger, and maybe less expensive, if you're lucky enough.

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
Well, I could hook up an inverter down in the storage unit where the battery disconnect is. If I did that I could build a little shelf to secure the charger on and let it charge while I am driving down the road. I would unhook/unplug the charger while we are parked so it doesn't drain the batteries. I was trying for the easy way out.
V-465

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vintage465 wrote:
So I have a new 20v cordless drill to drop the jacks on my trailer. Naturally it came with the 110v charger for plugging in at home. I don't intend on setting up an inverter in my rig. For my 18v computer I have an inverter that plugs into my cigarette lighter on my work truck. Is there such an inverter to plug into a cigarette lighter to charge a 20v drill?
The typical 12vdc cigaratte lighter type inverter outputs approx. 80-120w at 120vac. That's approx. .8 - 1 amps at 120vac.

Not sure what make 20v cordless charger you have.

I familiar with the DCB101 20v Dewalt charger. It draws 1.5a at 120v (it outputs 4a charge current at 20vdc). Odds are this unit will overload a "typical" cigarette lighter inverter.

However, Dewalt also makes some entry-level 20v chargers that only output 2a at 20vdc. These require a bit less 120vac input current than the DCB101---maybe .8 - 1a (@120vac). If you have one of these you *may* get by using a 12vdc cigarette lighter type inverter to power your 20v charger.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
My inverter pulls about 10 amps (12v) charging my old sears 18v drill. Doubt the typical RV 12v connector will work. Check the charger input specs but 300 to 500 watt inverter should be fine to just clamp on the battery when needed.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
An inverter is an inverter.. It depends on the watts of the inverter, and the watts that the charger needs to charge the battery.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel