cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Compartment Locks

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering if anyone has found an alternative to those silly pot-metal compartment keyed locks and twist locks. Not so much a different design as it would have to fit the holes that are already there, but a better quality lock that dosen't feel like it's gonna break off everytimg you use it. Mayby something that's all steel, not pot metal or an aluminum casting.
Grumpy
21 REPLIES 21

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
Just curious what part number from MSC did you use. I found two "automotive grade" locks from Amazon which are a step up for me because the key is a lot less flimsy than the CH751 one.

This is not for security, because a long screwdriver is always a "master key", but it means that the key is less likely to break off in the lock.

IMO - "thumb turn" style (like your propane compt door), no lock, no key.....works for me..;)

If anyone wants to steal the "stuff" inside, at least the compt doors don't get beat up.

~

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
Go to homedepot.com and do a search for mailbox lock. I saw some there today and they looked like the ones on my compartments but they all had different 4 digit numbers on the keys. All were under $8.00.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
if you are worried about somebody picking a tubular lock, just get locks that use a 3 digit combination.
bumpy

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
They are the same Ace locks as on the bike locks. Some people claim to have fixed it with a variable spring, but I've yet to see -anything- but an unsubstantiated post saying that. I would not buy a round key lock for any purpose these days. If I wanted high security, I'd buy a Medeco or Abloy cam (but a long screwdriver works as a "master key" on most RV hatches.)

I bought some "automotive grade" (i.e. double-sided locks with a metal shutter) locks. I prefer those over the round locks since they are more resistant to road grit intrusion, and the key is significantly thicker than the CH751 junk.

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
Are those round keys the same kind that they used to use on bike locks? Awhile back someone figured out how to open the bike locks with a ball point pen. Are these the same type? If yes, did they solve that flaw?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-LWGJzglho

Itisme
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
I replaced all of my 751s on my new TT with the round key type. at least every body out there doesn't have a duplicate of my key, only about 1/6th of the round key owners.

I went to have gramma a spare key made for her 03 keystone the other day. They were out of keys. The dude told me to use mine since they are all the same. I was shocked it worked
2014 Forest River Wildwood Haritage Glen 300BH
1996 C2500 454, 74000 miles (making due for now)
1996 32' prowler (retired)

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the links/info everyone. I'll be ordering some tubular keyed locks as soon as I can pull one of mine off to measure. Busy last few days making some 3" risers for the seats.
Grumpy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
RV_wanderer wrote:
Here's another site you can check out. When on the site click "RVers at risk" and it will offer some advice:

http://www.iss4locks.com/CH751/order.html

that is a super site with diagrams to help determine exactly which lock you need.
bumpy

RV_wanderer
Explorer
Explorer
Here's another site you can check out. When on the site click "RVers at risk" and it will offer some advice:

http://www.iss4locks.com/CH751/order.html
"Not all who wander are lost"

2008 3500 RAM/Cummins
2007 NuWa FW, 29'

glennts
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.combi-cam.com/

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Mello Mike wrote:
I recently made the switch from the CH751 to tubular cam locks. The full details can be found here:

Tubular Cam Lock Install

Good luck!

my install wasn't quite as easy as the article indicated. a couple of the holes had to be enlarged very slightly to get the new locks in and the replacement locks were slightly short and I had to grind away some of the plastic on the inside of the doors to be able to properly tighten down the retainer nut.
Before when I redid my Flair many years ago I ordered a matched set from CW. this time I just grabbed enough off the RV dealer's shelf that had the same key number.
bumpy

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
I recently made the switch from the CH751 to tubular cam locks. The full details can be found here:

Tubular Cam Lock Install

Good luck!
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced all of my 751s on my new TT with the round key type. at least every body out there doesn't have a duplicate of my key, only about 1/6th of the round key owners.
and yes, I saw the BS article years back about the Bic pen opening them. I would be glad to have somebody accept my $100 challenge their pen against my 751. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got some locks from my local RV dealer that use a "round" key. Got them all keyed alike. And no one can open them unless they have the identical "round" key. A screw driver can not be used in them as there is no slot.

Do not remember the brand, and since I am on the road, I do not have RV place catalog.
Dr Quick