cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cooling Unit Out of Order

nicoley207
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 23 foot 1993 Aljo Skyline travel trailer that needs a new cooling unit. We are considering just replacing the refrigerator instead. I have a few questions:

1. How well do travel trailers hold their value? We are worried that this is a big expense for something outdated, but don't really want to pay to upgrade right now.

2. Are there reliable online RV stores that may sell less expensive refrigerators? The quotes I've received from dealers range from $1600-$1800. I am just not sure that a trailer this old is worth that kind of investment, but I may be convinced for around $1300-$1400. It is in good shape otherwise.

3. Is it better to just replace the refrigerator and forget about the cooling unit?

Thank you!
21 REPLIES 21

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
nicoley207,

If you want to use the camper for a while then it's probably worth replacing the refrig.

The cooling unit in the existing frig can be replaced if you can supply the labor but if you are going to have to pay someone it will cost about as much as a new one.

The prices you mentioned are a little high.

Take a look at the following supplier link:

http://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwik15yQkoHOAhVRJIEKHQ0yB1QYABAR&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESIeD20p4JmQM1VxwUl3LvWgVMs4756_bfiEs3wFI19YaE9g&sig=AOD64_11Bz1DVJZbpZlRLnskOXtZcpiI2Q&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwiwyJeQkoHOAhXKuB4KHSX6CsIQuxcI0AE&adurl=

Note that PPL also offers $10 shipping so it's much cheaper than what you were looking at.

I noticed that the sale price is good through 7/22.
Joe and Evelyn

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
nicoley207 wrote:
The resell value matters if the trailer is worth less than the new refrigerator.
What might be more important is having a working refrigerator that you can use...assuming you're using it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest to replace it with a 120V residential fridge. They are about 1/3 the price of an absorption fridge and cool your eats better. If you travel on long boondocking trips, buy an inverter and have enough batteries to run the fridge while underway. I run mine on solar.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

bagomike
Explorer
Explorer
are you going to keep/sell/trade the RV?

nicoley207
Explorer
Explorer
My understanding is that the refrigerator has a cooling unit. The cooling unit is no longer functioning in ours; however, given the age of the refrigerator, some have suggested that it may be smarter to just replace the entire unit rather than just a component.

The resell value matters if the trailer is worth less than the new refrigerator.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Help me out here.. what's a cooling unit? Assuming it's the a/c, I don't know what the refrigerator has to do with it. You need both to live comfortably.

Why does it matter what the resale value is? Are you looking to sell it?

Item #2 first sentence the OP states it is his refrigerator.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Help me out here.. what's a cooling unit? Assuming it's the a/c, I don't know what the refrigerator has to do with it. You need both to live comfortably.

Why does it matter what the resale value is? Are you looking to sell it?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman