cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corroded 7-pin no more

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
This was my solution which I did last year, so am pretty confident it is a good fix.

Your 7-pin trailer plug gets all corroded with green algae-looking mess then it will not work right. You have lights that do not light, brakes that do not work, battery that does not charge...

I simply put a circuit breaker between the plug and the camper battery. When in storage I can break the connection so the 7-pin plug has no voltage connected to it from the battery.
I used a 30 amp one like this circuit breaker
Link just for example.

Now there is no electrical potential at the plug during damp days and night. I have not experienced any corrosion.

With solar I often do not need to be connected to the alternator when driving, so can use this circuit breaker as a switch to choose also.

Cheers.
12 REPLIES 12

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just coat the terminals with grease. Never corrodes.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
X3 plug guard

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
I just use a breaker to disconnect the 12 volt positive from the battery. No more issues.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
A long time ago I had to drill out the sockets of my connector to make it work. One might try Corrosion X.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
De-Ox-It The 2 part GOLD system also helps

I liked to keep it dry.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
ScottG wrote:
It will happily corrode with no voltage present.
You just need to keep it dry.

Yep, copper roofs with a green patina is a thing and most people aren't wiring their copper roofs up.

We'll have to see how it holds up but on our new trailer, there is a holder mounted on the a-frame that leaves the plug facing down. In theory, that should keep most of the water out.

If you use it regularly, the copper oxide tends to get worn off as you plug in regularly. Otherwise consider a bit of dielectric grease.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Or CAIG De Oxit S100L Shield.

Apply to cleaned contacts, dunk it in seawater, let it sit on the dock and a few months later it has maintained millivolt connectivity. This is not Herb Tarlick BS it comes from personal experience. The downside is the cost. S100L is the 100% pure grade of this stuff.

I wish I had a gallon of it.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Use a Plug-Guard
X2
Keeps it clean and off the ground where it can get damaged.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Use a Plug-Guard

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It will happily corrode with no voltage present.
You just need to keep it dry.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Corrosion and moisture can do strange things. Many moons ago, our TT was stored for winter in the back yard. , no power but battery. One wet snowy night the running lights came on powered off the battery!
Went out and shook the wet snow out of the 7 pin to shut them off. Since then I try to remember to keep the plug high and spray it and truck socket with dielectric grease a couple times a year.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Replacing the 7 pin connector is just a routine maintenance IMO. My 2015 Tahoe “complained” about a bad connector, so I’m sure the 2020 1500 will too someday.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad