cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dangerous

Happy_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Can one be shocked when plugging in the RV electrical cord in the rain, possibly standing in a puddle of water.
Travel Safe - Enjoy
Happy Jim
1999 Holiday Rambler Vacationer
2006 Chevy HHR Toad
20 REPLIES 20

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
YXM,
So you would go out there in pouring down rain, and while standing in a puddle of water, be flippin breakers, hopin you got the right one turned off, and then get your power cord and plug it into a receptical that you hope is not hot ?
Go for it, but my post still stands ๐Ÿ™‚

Wow, "Hope you get right one"......They are Labeled...I.E. 30, 15,,20.....50..

Also......Yes it is EASY to get shocked at 120 Volts.....it KILLS MORE PEOPLE...... than 440,220, 600 etc......
It takes Very little to go wrong, to shock your heart into V..Fib...with Elec.(120).Volt

( 30 yrs Fire/ E.M.S......,,YES, I HAVE SEEN IT)...

Be smart .....ALWAYS TURN OFF Before plugging in.
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
RJsfishin wrote:
YXM,
So you would go out there in pouring down rain, and while standing in a puddle of water, be flippin breakers, hopin you got the right one turned off, and then get your power cord and plug it into a receptical that you hope is not hot ?

Sure I would... But since I'm only plugging in one cord, if there was any doubt at all about which breaker to flip off (highly unlikely!), I would just turn them all off. With nothing else plugged in, the others don't need to be on anyway. :R
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Happy_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Tks for many of the posts
Happy Jim
Travel Safe - Enjoy
Happy Jim
1999 Holiday Rambler Vacationer
2006 Chevy HHR Toad

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
Only an idiot would be handling any 120+ electrical while standing in a puddle of water !

YER RIGHT RJ !!!!!!!!

Takes a fool to not -understand- rubber boots are mandatory when working in class II or class III conditions. I had to do it with 600 volt work. But not when it was raining.

BTW, salt air can leave deposits from a conductor surface to a plastic toggle that will knock you on your ass if it's humid. The cheapest of Nitrile mechanic's gloves will give protection around 120 or 240 volt circuits when it is NOT raining.

There aren't many slow learners who graduate from the school of Hot Stick, and go on to have a successful career.

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
As usual, some people on this forum have taken something as simple as reading a number off the end of a breaker and then turning it off into a rocket project.
2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
I've been bit by 120 more times that I care to admit, being a general contractor doing home additions and remodels. Flip the circuit breaker off, plug in, flip the circuit breaker on. No worries.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
God, you guys sure take stuff seriously !! Give it a break !

But, right on, there really are some guys here smarter than others ! I'll just leave it at that !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, You can be shocked, possibly killed. You don't want to depend on double insulation.
MM49

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some people who can't figure out how to safely turn a breaker off in the rain before plugging in the cord probably aren't smart enough to get out of the rain.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
RJsfishin wrote:
YXM,
I'm not an idiot and I've done it plenty of times. There's only one breaker per each type of service whether it's 20-30 or 50 amp. Doesn't take a master electrician to figure it out. I'm sure not going to wait until tomorrow to plug it in just because it's raining...

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would plug in barefoot standing in the puddle. I call it NO FEAR.
Been bit plenty of times, no issues here.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
YXM,
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
RJ,, It's pouring down rain, You have limited battery and it's hot and humid (Rain = 100% humidity) you are basically MELTING and you need that air conditioner to make things livable.. What you gonna do?

you gonna turn off the breaker so the line is "Cold",, plug in, and then turn on the breaker so the A/C will cool you off that's what.

You do not handle HOT wires or HOT plug in the rain, but cold, it's safe.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

westend
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
Only an idiot would be handling any 120+ electrical while standing in a puddle of water !
Lol, tell us what you really think, RJ. :B
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton