Dometic Refer Recall - Possible Fire Hazard -Update 2/13/07

MELM
Explorer
Explorer
Click here to go directly to Updates.
Update Number 1 Nov 23, 2006
Update Number 2 Dec 5, 2006
Update Number 3 Jan 10, 2007
Update Number 4 Jan 19, 2007 - Recall Instructions - click here: Dometic Recall You need your model and serial numbers.
Update Number 5 Feb 13, 2007 - Added links to new info on the NHTSA website including the info/form for claiming reimbursement for a failure. These are at the end of the post below where all the updates are posted.

Also, edited the below Recall to include the change made prior to the Dec 5 update showing the proposed remedy.

Below is information from the NHTSA website on a recall of certain Dometic refrigerators. This recall is in its very early stages, and there is no resolution in place as of Nov 1, 2006.

From the NHTSA website:

Dometic Recall NHTSA Campaign ID 06E076000

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
DOMETIC / NDR1062 9999
DOMETIC / RM2652 9999
DOMETIC / RM2662 9999
DOMETIC / RM2663 9999
DOMETIC / RM2852 9999
DOMETIC / RM2862 9999
DOMETIC / RM3662 9999
DOMETIC / RM3663 9999
DOMETIC / RM3862 9999
DOMETIC / RM3863 9999

Manufacturer : DOMETIC CORPORATION

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 06E076000 Mfg's Report Date : AUG 28, 2006

Component: EQUIPMENT: RECREATIONAL VEHICLE

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 926877

Summary:
CERTAIN DOMETIC TWO-DOOR REFRIGERATORS MANUFACTURED BETWEEN APRIL 1997 AND MAY 2003: SERIAL NOS.
713XXXXX THROUGH 752XXXXX;
801XXXXX THROUGH 852XXXXX;
901XXXXX THROUGH 952XXXXX;
001XXXXX THROUGH 052XXXXX;
101XXXXX THROUGH 152XXXXX;
201XXXXX THROUGH 252XXXXX;
301XXXXX THROUGH 319XXXXX,
INSTALLED IN CERTAIN RECREATIONAL VEHICLES AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT AND SOLD AS AFTERMARKET EQUIPMENT. A FATIGUE CRACK MAY DEVELOP IN THE BOILER TUBE WHICH MAY RELEASE A SUFFICIENT AMOUNT OF PRESSURIZED COOLANT SOLUTION INTO AN AREA WHERE AN IGNITION SOURCE (GAS FLAME) IS PRESENT.

Consequence:
THE RELEASE OF COOLANT UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS COULD IGNITE AND RESULT IN A FIRE.

Remedy:
THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURERS WILL NOTIFY OWNERS OF RECREATIONAL VEHICLES THAT HAD THE REFRIGERATORS INSTALLED AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT AND DOMETIC WILL NOTIFY OWNERS OF THE AFTERMARKET REFRIGERATORS. DOMETIC WILL INSTALL A SECONDARY BURNER HOUSING FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN BETWEEN APRIL AND JUNE 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DOMETIC AT 888-446-5157.

Notes:
CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

The following is extracted from the notice provided by Dometic to the NHTSA dated 8/26/06:

The potential defect is associated with cooling unit at the back of the refrigeration cabinet.

A fractional percentage of the potentially affected refrigerators have experienced a fatigue crack that may develop in the boiler tube in the area of the weld between the boiler tube and the heater pocket. A fatigue crack may release a sufficient amount of pressurized coolant solution into an area where an ignition source (gas flame) is present. Dometic's investigation has shown that a simulated release of cooling solution (refrigerant) in the area of the boiler, under certain conditions, could be ignited by the presence of an open flame. A boiler fatigue crack with the loss of cooling solution without ignition would result in a non-operational refrigerator that is not a safety issue. Under certain conditions, the released coolant could ignite and result in a fire. In order to have a fire, at a minimum, all of the following conditions must exist:

1. The refrigerator must be on and normally operating and gas burner must be lit;
    2. 'There must be an oversized heating element in the refrigerator;
    3. The boiler tube must develop a throughway fatigue crack of a
    specific size;
    4. There must be a release of the cooling solution at a rate which will
    allow the accumulation of the cooling solution at a concentration within its range of flammability; and
    5. There must be ignition source (gas flame) present.

If any of these conditions are not present, a release of the cooling solution will not result in a fire.

In April of 1997 Dometic modified the design of the affected refrigerators by increasing the wattage of the heating element from 325 watts to 354 watts. All production of the affected units from April 1997 through May of 2003 utilized the 354 watt heating element. In May of 2003, in order to improve the operating life of the refrigerators, Dometic returned to the use of the 325 watt heating element which it continues to use today. It is now believed that the use of the higher wattage heater contributed to abnormal fatigue in the boiler tube.

The products in question are all refrigerators used in the original manufacture of recreation vehicles or as replacement equipment for recreation vehicles. The total population of refrigerators potentially containing the defect is 926,877. Dometic estimates a potential maximum incident rate of 0.01% related to boiler fatigue cracks that leak and may result in a fire. There have been no incidents of injury or death related to the affected population of Dometic refrigerators.

Dometic became aware of the occurrence of fires which may have involved their products and retained an independent engineering testing laboratory to fully evaluate and investigate any potential defect in their refrigerators which might result in a fire. A number of returned units were analyzed and microscopic fatigue cracks which could release coolant into the area of the burner were identified in the boiler tube metal in the area of the weld between the heater pocket and boiler tube. Tests simulating the cracks were conducted the week of August 18, 2006 and confirmed a possible cause of fire in the refrigerators under certain conditions. These test results prompted the preparation of this notice.

Dometic continues to gather information on the potential defect and will forward additional relevant information as it becomes available.

Dometic has not yet identified a proposed remedy for the potential defect. Dometic will continue a testing program designed to identify and evaluate possible remedies. This evaluation will take place both in the United States and in Sweden. Once a remedy has been identified, Dometic will initiate or participate in a remedy campaign initiated by the original equipment manufacturers and aftermarket suppliers who have purchased, sold, and distributed these products. A list of original equipment manufacturers and aftermarket suppliers to whom Dometic has sold the potentially defective refrigerators is being prepared and will be provided to the NHTSA upon its
completion.

The following is extracted from the NHTSA response on 9/18/06:

Please provide the following additional information and be reminded of the following requirements:
    Dometic must provide an estimated dealer notification date as well as an owner notification date including the day, month, and year. You are required to submit a draft owner notification letter to this office no less than five days prior to mailing it to the customers. Also, copies of all notices, bulletins, dealer notifications, and other communications that relate to this recall, including a copy of the final owner notification letter and any subsequent owner follow-up notification letter(s), are required to be submitted to this office no later than 5 days after they are originally sent (if they are sent to more than one manufacturer, distributor, dealer, or purchaser/owner).

Dometic must file a sample of the envelope which you intend to use to mail the recall notice to owners. The words "SAFETY", "RECALL", "NOTICE" in any order must be printed on the envelope in larger font than the customers name and address.
Mel & Mary Ann; Mo'Be (More Behave...) and Bella
"If you have an RV, you don't need another hobby." Comment from a friend...

90 Champion LaSalle MH 29 ft P30 (89 Chassis)

Visit The Official Blog of the Open Road
854 REPLIES 854

WilleyB
Explorer
Explorer
balvert wrote:
I doubt that Dometic will get their act together before we leave on a six week vacation so I am looking at installing the 325 watt element to reduce my chances of a problem.

I agree and plan to do the same for the same reasons. By installing the 325 watt heater, will certainly lessen the chances of the weld or pipe cracking. The Dometic modification will definitely make the unit safer with regard to fire. Would appreciate a post when you have it completed, it's a bit too cold in these here parts for working outside.

Cheers
Vanguard VXL2000
2000 Ford V10 Triton, E350 Super Duty
Just for me,the Mrs and Gabby

balvert
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt that Dometic will get their act together before we leave on a six week vacation so I am looking at installing the 325 watt element to reduce my chances of a problem. I will still get the fix done when Dometic makes is available, or is the fix going to reduce the amount of heat actually reaching the boiler tube? In that case the lower wattage element may prevent proper cooling. Not sure what the actual fix entails as it is rather vague in the recall info. Any thoughts on my plan?
Casey & Karen, Border Collies, Polly & Babe
08 Newmar Kountry Aire 5th with tandem duals, disk brakes, 7K Onan, Pullrite 25.5K Super 5th, MorRyde, RotoChoks
03 Dodge DRW Sport, Cummins, 4.10, 6 spd, MBRP SS Exhaust, Jacobs E-Brake, Tire Sentry, BrakeSmart

Halftime
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone seen a description the proposed "fix" ? If it is just a cup or a shield I would love to cobble up my own (1998 unit included in the recall) and be on my way. I know I have used it all this time with no worries but with fire a possibility I don't know as I could play dumb. Especially with the Refer between us and the door. Any information on how or where to find out how would be super.

Irelands_child
Explorer
Explorer
Why am I beginning to feel that I will be needing my ice chest/cooler as a backup the next time we take our unit out?? It seems like Dometic is dragging their toes on a very well and long known problem. Some day it will get warm again - usually in APRIL(repair kits scheduled for then, maybe?), and we can drag our camper out of the back and use it again.

I cannot be a cheerleader for a company, based in Sweden, producing a very expensive product mainly for the American user. I made the mistake of stopping at their Elkart facility several years ago for some minor parts for the camper I had at the time - I was made to feel like I was imposing on their exclusive club meeting. I was then asked to pay an exhorbitant amount for some very small items.

Norcold - I've only had one as an economical replacement for a much more expensive Dometic and it operated nicely, thank you.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
PSU1999 wrote:
Ok, this is directed to our RVing experts who have a level of experience. Assuming you have an affected unit that does not show any signs of failure what is your feeling on using it until fixed under the recall? I've read what Dometic has put on their website "don't use the unit on gas and if you need to use electric turn it off at night" how realistic is that? I have also read the initial post by Les where Dometic reported that there was a less then 1% chance of fire, which is very low. Furthermore out of all the units affected by this I'm certain there are people who are not on the RV net or who are second owners of their trailers and don't know anything about this and may never know. All of their RVs aren't going to be burning down. More than likely they will hear about this when the refer quits working. I guess what I'm saying that I will inspect the burner area regularly as instructed to look for signs of leaks and make sure my smoke and lp leak detectors are functioning however until the recall repair is made I'm going to continue to use my refer normally. Does anyone else feel this way?

Absolutely. None of my close friends to are rv'ers have heard of this. They are mostly french speaking and not on these forums; I also hit some of our local french boards and there is nothing about this on them.

Had I not read this forum, I would not be any wiser and quite frankly there are almost 1 million units within the affectecd serial numbers and there haven't been a bunch burning up as they are going down the highways. This is more of a Dometic CYA issue than a consumer issue.

I will continue to use my unit and I will simply look for any signs of trouble.

timsrv
Explorer
Explorer
javaseuf wrote:
Dometic has no intention of replacing the cooling unit in this recall. All Dometic will do is install a cup designed to capture leaking coolant so it can't spread towards the gas burner and cause an explosion.
If your out of warranty Dometic develops a leak because of this defect, they will do nothing since the refer is out of warranty. Check out the latest Sticky's at the beginning of the 5th-Wheel form for an up-date.

BTW, I just sent Dometic $189.00 for the 3-year extended warranty to be sure my POS refer is covered for a while.

I read through the stickies you referred to (at least I think they were the ones). Based on what I read it wasn't clear if they were going to pony up and pay for cooling units that failed out of warranty or what. The information on Dometic's website says:

"If you previously paid to repair or replace a Dometic refrigerator that failed due to this defect, you can be reimbursed for your costs pursuant to Dometicยดs Pre-Notification Reimbursement Program. To be eligible for reimbursement under that Program, you must complete and submit the required form and provide the necessary documentation. The Program and form can be obtained by calling 1-888-446-5157"

I got the impression by reading this that they are offering to pay some sort of reasonable compensation. It doesn't go into detail about age of refer, or warranty status, but I would assume they are talking about beyond warranty. After all, why would someone pay out of pocket for repairs on a unit that was still under factory warranty? Tim

javaseuf
Explorer
Explorer
Popsie wrote:
PSU1999 wrote:
Ok, this is directed to our RVing experts who have a level of experience. Assuming you have an affected unit that does not show any signs of failure what is your feeling on using it until fixed under the recall? I've read what Dometic has put on their website "don't use the unit on gas and if you need to use electric turn it off at night" how realistic is that?
IMO, re: no gas - that's inconvenient, but not a show stopper; re: turn it off at night - no big deal.

As fulltimers, we keep our fridge and freezer packed with stuff. Once it gets cold, it stays cold unless you're opening and closing a lot. At night, when it's cold anyway, I see no problem with leaving the thing off. The same thing applies when driving, we don't need to run the reefer on gas or turn on the generator as we go down the road and everything keeps cold/frozen. We will turn on the generator if needed to microwave lunch, or to run the roof air in hot weather - which will also run the fridge, but we don't worry about it if the generator is off.

It's sort of like some folks want to keep the water heater on overnight and some turn it on in the morning.

I have yet to receive the "recall package" I ordered on their recall hot-line. Very poor response.

javaseuf
Explorer
Explorer
timsrv wrote:
Nomad, thanks for pointing out the dates. I had missed it the 1st time, so I just finished reading through the recall info again. I feel a little better seeing that the problem was supposedly taken care of late in 2003.

I also share your opinion on Dometic refers. I've been a "cheerleader" for them since the late 90's & want to keep selling them. As long as they make the ones in question safe and agree to replace cooling units that fail in this manner, then that's all anyone can ask for.

In the event of this type failure, does anyone know how long Dometic will continue replacing cooling units? Maybe they should calculate the average lifespan of a cooling unit, pro-rate worth, then give a discount toward the purchase of a new cooling core or refer. That would be good business as it would make customer's happy and ensure future sales.

Keithbennett, thanks for the comments. If I ever move to Colorado I'll hold you to that! Tim

Dometic has no intention of replacing the cooling unit in this recall. All Dometic will do is install a cup designed to capture leaking coolant so it can't spread towards the gas burner and cause an explosion.
If your out of warranty Dometic develops a leak because of this defect, they will do nothing since the refer is out of warranty. Check out the latest Sticky's at the beginning of the 5th-Wheel form for an up-date.

BTW, I just sent Dometic $189.00 for the 3-year extended warranty to be sure my POS refer is covered for a while.

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
PSU1999 wrote:
Ok, this is directed to our RVing experts who have a level of experience. Assuming you have an affected unit that does not show any signs of failure what is your feeling on using it until fixed under the recall? I've read what Dometic has put on their website "don't use the unit on gas and if you need to use electric turn it off at night" how realistic is that?
IMO, re: no gas - that's inconvenient, but not a show stopper; re: turn it off at night - no big deal.

As fulltimers, we keep our fridge and freezer packed with stuff. Once it gets cold, it stays cold unless you're opening and closing a lot. At night, when it's cold anyway, I see no problem with leaving the thing off. The same thing applies when driving, we don't need to run the reefer on gas or turn on the generator as we go down the road and everything keeps cold/frozen. We will turn on the generator if needed to microwave lunch, or to run the roof air in hot weather - which will also run the fridge, but we don't worry about it if the generator is off.

It's sort of like some folks want to keep the water heater on overnight and some turn it on in the morning.

timsrv
Explorer
Explorer
PSU1999, Up till this point, that's exactly what we all have been doing. The 1st affected units were produced 10 years ago. The fact that this is just now being brought up tells me the risk has got to be low. I believe Dometic's main objective now is damage control. By making such a statement, they are limiting their liability.

As far as the actual risk, it is there, but who knows what the actual odds are. The cooling core is charged with ammonia, hydrogen, and water. If a crack occurs in the boiler area, the hydrogen escapes rapidly. The boiler is in a well ventilated area & hydrogen is lighter than air. In addition, due to the warmth here, air is normally moving up and away from the burner. All of these factors work to minimize the odds of combustion and the hydrogen would likely be carried up and away without incident. However, rate of leak, exact location of crack, wind gusts, temp of cooling core, and mode of operation, will all affect chances of combustion. These chances are greatly reduced if running on electric only (no open flame). In my 13 years as an RV technician I have seen this type of fire twice and an explosion once. Of these 3 incidents, none were caused by one of these recalled Dometic refers. What I'm saying is the chances are slim, but since the results could be catastrophic, it's best to play it safe and follow Dometic's recommendations. And yes, I realize it's very inconvenient. Tim

rldcjd
Explorer
Explorer
PSU1999 wrote:
Ok, this is directed to our RVing experts who have a level of experience. Assuming you have an affected unit that does not show any signs of failure what is your feeling on using it until fixed under the recall? I've read what Dometic has put on their website "don't use the unit on gas and if you need to use electric turn it off at night" how realistic is that? I have also read the initial post by Les where Dometic reported that there was a less then 1% chance of fire, which is very low. Furthermore out of all the units affected by this I'm certain there are people who are not on the RV net or who are second owners of their trailers and don't know anything about this and may never know. All of their RVs aren't going to be burning down. More than likely they will hear about this when the refer quits working. I guess what I'm saying that I will inspect the burner area regularly as instructed to look for signs of leaks and make sure my smoke and lp leak detectors are functioning however until the recall repair is made I'm going to continue to use my refer normally. Does anyone else feel this way?

I do. We have a seasonal site and usually keep our refer on and food in it all summer long. I will use it, and if it burns up, I guess I'll deal with the insurance company and Dometic.
1996 Jayco Designer 3120 FK

PSU1999
Explorer
Explorer
Me - PSU 1999
Wife - Also PSU 1999
Daughter - Hopefully PSU 2026
Daughter - Hopefully PSU 2029
Twin Daughters - Hopefully PSU 2033
2015 Keystone Summerland 2980 BH TT
2007 Chevy Suburban TV

timsrv
Explorer
Explorer
Nomad, thanks for pointing out the dates. I had missed it the 1st time, so I just finished reading through the recall info again. I feel a little better seeing that the problem was supposedly taken care of late in 2003.

I also share your opinion on Dometic refers. I've been a "cheerleader" for them since the late 90's & want to keep selling them. As long as they make the ones in question safe and agree to replace cooling units that fail in this manner, then that's all anyone can ask for.

In the event of this type failure, does anyone know how long Dometic will continue replacing cooling units? Maybe they should calculate the average lifespan of a cooling unit, pro-rate worth, then give a discount toward the purchase of a new cooling core or refer. That would be good business as it would make customer's happy and ensure future sales.

Keithbennett, thanks for the comments. If I ever move to Colorado I'll hold you to that! Tim

nomad314
Explorer
Explorer
I've talked to someone at Dometic a couple of times about this now. After reading the last posts, here are a few things to consider...

Norcold tried to change the heating element, thinking it would stop cracks from forming. But they didn't even address the units where cracks had already formed...leaving fire as a still very dangerous possibility. At least the Dometic approach contains any leaks or fires. As long as their fix works, at least my family will be safe, and I guess that's all I can really ask for.

Also, I've been assured that any service center that I prefer to use will be able to install the fix. I see someone mentioned that only "select" service centers will be OK'd, and I've been told that is not the case.

I've also been told that the larger heater that causes the cracks was replaced in 2003...so "current production is not affected."

I've owned both Norcold refrigerators and Dometic refrigerators. I've been happier with the Dometic product and customer service experience. This recall is definitely lousy, but considering both companies have had this problem, I'll stick with what I like.

Sorry to sound like such a Dometic cheerleader...but I've always been treated fairly by them in the past, and if they handle this fix right, my opinion of them won't change.

Cheers,
Mitch

CrossCountryNom
Explorer
Explorer
Just a little something here.

Lucky me - my unit is on the recall list :E

I just called Camping World in Woodstock Georgia to ask when they might start making service appointments for this recall. The service manager was unaware of this recall and asked me to call back next week when he has has a chance to check into this recall.

Maybe you folks might want to contact whoever you are planning take care of this recall just to give them a heads up on all of this.
Retired Air Force - 20 years - AFTAC and 1CEVG
2012 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2006 Chevy HHR - toad

1967 Olds Cutlass slideshow