Dometic Refer Recall - Possible Fire Hazard -Update 2/13/07

MELM
Explorer
Explorer
Click here to go directly to Updates.
Update Number 1 Nov 23, 2006
Update Number 2 Dec 5, 2006
Update Number 3 Jan 10, 2007
Update Number 4 Jan 19, 2007 - Recall Instructions - click here: Dometic Recall You need your model and serial numbers.
Update Number 5 Feb 13, 2007 - Added links to new info on the NHTSA website including the info/form for claiming reimbursement for a failure. These are at the end of the post below where all the updates are posted.

Also, edited the below Recall to include the change made prior to the Dec 5 update showing the proposed remedy.

Below is information from the NHTSA website on a recall of certain Dometic refrigerators. This recall is in its very early stages, and there is no resolution in place as of Nov 1, 2006.

From the NHTSA website:

Dometic Recall NHTSA Campaign ID 06E076000

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
DOMETIC / NDR1062 9999
DOMETIC / RM2652 9999
DOMETIC / RM2662 9999
DOMETIC / RM2663 9999
DOMETIC / RM2852 9999
DOMETIC / RM2862 9999
DOMETIC / RM3662 9999
DOMETIC / RM3663 9999
DOMETIC / RM3862 9999
DOMETIC / RM3863 9999

Manufacturer : DOMETIC CORPORATION

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 06E076000 Mfg's Report Date : AUG 28, 2006

Component: EQUIPMENT: RECREATIONAL VEHICLE

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 926877

Summary:
CERTAIN DOMETIC TWO-DOOR REFRIGERATORS MANUFACTURED BETWEEN APRIL 1997 AND MAY 2003: SERIAL NOS.
713XXXXX THROUGH 752XXXXX;
801XXXXX THROUGH 852XXXXX;
901XXXXX THROUGH 952XXXXX;
001XXXXX THROUGH 052XXXXX;
101XXXXX THROUGH 152XXXXX;
201XXXXX THROUGH 252XXXXX;
301XXXXX THROUGH 319XXXXX,
INSTALLED IN CERTAIN RECREATIONAL VEHICLES AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT AND SOLD AS AFTERMARKET EQUIPMENT. A FATIGUE CRACK MAY DEVELOP IN THE BOILER TUBE WHICH MAY RELEASE A SUFFICIENT AMOUNT OF PRESSURIZED COOLANT SOLUTION INTO AN AREA WHERE AN IGNITION SOURCE (GAS FLAME) IS PRESENT.

Consequence:
THE RELEASE OF COOLANT UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS COULD IGNITE AND RESULT IN A FIRE.

Remedy:
THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURERS WILL NOTIFY OWNERS OF RECREATIONAL VEHICLES THAT HAD THE REFRIGERATORS INSTALLED AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT AND DOMETIC WILL NOTIFY OWNERS OF THE AFTERMARKET REFRIGERATORS. DOMETIC WILL INSTALL A SECONDARY BURNER HOUSING FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN BETWEEN APRIL AND JUNE 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DOMETIC AT 888-446-5157.

Notes:
CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

The following is extracted from the notice provided by Dometic to the NHTSA dated 8/26/06:

The potential defect is associated with cooling unit at the back of the refrigeration cabinet.

A fractional percentage of the potentially affected refrigerators have experienced a fatigue crack that may develop in the boiler tube in the area of the weld between the boiler tube and the heater pocket. A fatigue crack may release a sufficient amount of pressurized coolant solution into an area where an ignition source (gas flame) is present. Dometic's investigation has shown that a simulated release of cooling solution (refrigerant) in the area of the boiler, under certain conditions, could be ignited by the presence of an open flame. A boiler fatigue crack with the loss of cooling solution without ignition would result in a non-operational refrigerator that is not a safety issue. Under certain conditions, the released coolant could ignite and result in a fire. In order to have a fire, at a minimum, all of the following conditions must exist:

1. The refrigerator must be on and normally operating and gas burner must be lit;
    2. 'There must be an oversized heating element in the refrigerator;
    3. The boiler tube must develop a throughway fatigue crack of a
    specific size;
    4. There must be a release of the cooling solution at a rate which will
    allow the accumulation of the cooling solution at a concentration within its range of flammability; and
    5. There must be ignition source (gas flame) present.

If any of these conditions are not present, a release of the cooling solution will not result in a fire.

In April of 1997 Dometic modified the design of the affected refrigerators by increasing the wattage of the heating element from 325 watts to 354 watts. All production of the affected units from April 1997 through May of 2003 utilized the 354 watt heating element. In May of 2003, in order to improve the operating life of the refrigerators, Dometic returned to the use of the 325 watt heating element which it continues to use today. It is now believed that the use of the higher wattage heater contributed to abnormal fatigue in the boiler tube.

The products in question are all refrigerators used in the original manufacture of recreation vehicles or as replacement equipment for recreation vehicles. The total population of refrigerators potentially containing the defect is 926,877. Dometic estimates a potential maximum incident rate of 0.01% related to boiler fatigue cracks that leak and may result in a fire. There have been no incidents of injury or death related to the affected population of Dometic refrigerators.

Dometic became aware of the occurrence of fires which may have involved their products and retained an independent engineering testing laboratory to fully evaluate and investigate any potential defect in their refrigerators which might result in a fire. A number of returned units were analyzed and microscopic fatigue cracks which could release coolant into the area of the burner were identified in the boiler tube metal in the area of the weld between the heater pocket and boiler tube. Tests simulating the cracks were conducted the week of August 18, 2006 and confirmed a possible cause of fire in the refrigerators under certain conditions. These test results prompted the preparation of this notice.

Dometic continues to gather information on the potential defect and will forward additional relevant information as it becomes available.

Dometic has not yet identified a proposed remedy for the potential defect. Dometic will continue a testing program designed to identify and evaluate possible remedies. This evaluation will take place both in the United States and in Sweden. Once a remedy has been identified, Dometic will initiate or participate in a remedy campaign initiated by the original equipment manufacturers and aftermarket suppliers who have purchased, sold, and distributed these products. A list of original equipment manufacturers and aftermarket suppliers to whom Dometic has sold the potentially defective refrigerators is being prepared and will be provided to the NHTSA upon its
completion.

The following is extracted from the NHTSA response on 9/18/06:

Please provide the following additional information and be reminded of the following requirements:
    Dometic must provide an estimated dealer notification date as well as an owner notification date including the day, month, and year. You are required to submit a draft owner notification letter to this office no less than five days prior to mailing it to the customers. Also, copies of all notices, bulletins, dealer notifications, and other communications that relate to this recall, including a copy of the final owner notification letter and any subsequent owner follow-up notification letter(s), are required to be submitted to this office no later than 5 days after they are originally sent (if they are sent to more than one manufacturer, distributor, dealer, or purchaser/owner).

Dometic must file a sample of the envelope which you intend to use to mail the recall notice to owners. The words "SAFETY", "RECALL", "NOTICE" in any order must be printed on the envelope in larger font than the customers name and address.
Mel & Mary Ann; Mo'Be (More Behave...) and Bella
"If you have an RV, you don't need another hobby." Comment from a friend...

90 Champion LaSalle MH 29 ft P30 (89 Chassis)

Visit The Official Blog of the Open Road
854 REPLIES 854

bigdodgeram
Explorer
Explorer
Central_Iowa_Boy wrote:
My dealer is telling me they won't look at it until Dometic gives me a reference number. I can't find anything on Dometic's website about getting a reference number. I found a couple phone numbers but I don't think either of them is strictly for this purpose. If any of you guys has a phone number that has gotten you results, please pass it along. I'm headed out of town for a day or two. When I get back I'll start trying to run this down. I'm a little concerned about my 2 week trip I have planned at the end of July and whether or not I'll have a working fridge by then. I guess if not, I'll be buying a dorm size fridge to toss in trailer for the trip.

call the dometic toll free number and get registered, they will send you the letter. 1-888-446-5157
95,Dodge RAM 2500 Club Cab, Red, SLT Laramie 2WD, 5.9 V-8, 46RH Trany. 5th Wheel Hitch & Tailgate. Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller. 1998 Fleetwood 28' Wilderness 5th wheel, 2 legged hitch support.
lovely wife, & Molly & Cassie our black & yellow labs.

Central_Iowa_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys but unfortunately my refer has already cracked and leaked all the refregerant out. So, my problem is bigger than just needing the shield.

Ready_ToRoll
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't necessarily count on Camping World. My local CW told me in mid April that they had ordered 40 kits and put me on the list as number 16. The last week in April they got in 10 kits, and told me they would call me when more came in. No word yet.

Bruce
Bruce and Francesca
'02 Silverado 2500HD, LS, Ext. Cab, S/B, 4X4, 6.0L, Prodigy, DrawTite 16K w/Kwik Slide
'03 Mallard 26.5H Fifth Wheel, Powerwise 3000w

Our Home Page

The DUCK in Daniel Boone NF, KY

balvert
Explorer
Explorer
Just read in RV View where Camping World carries the kits. Might want to try there.
Casey & Karen, Border Collies, Polly & Babe
08 Newmar Kountry Aire 5th with tandem duals, disk brakes, 7K Onan, Pullrite 25.5K Super 5th, MorRyde, RotoChoks
03 Dodge DRW Sport, Cummins, 4.10, 6 spd, MBRP SS Exhaust, Jacobs E-Brake, Tire Sentry, BrakeSmart

Central_Iowa_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
My dealer is telling me they won't look at it until Dometic gives me a reference number. I can't find anything on Dometic's website about getting a reference number. I found a couple phone numbers but I don't think either of them is strictly for this purpose. If any of you guys has a phone number that has gotten you results, please pass it along. I'm headed out of town for a day or two. When I get back I'll start trying to run this down. I'm a little concerned about my 2 week trip I have planned at the end of July and whether or not I'll have a working fridge by then. I guess if not, I'll be buying a dorm size fridge to toss in trailer for the trip.

Skeet25
Explorer
Explorer
Central-Iowa-Boy
Take it to your dealer and have him determine the cause of leak. If it is the cracked boiler tube he should contact Dometic with the info and in most all cases they have replaced or repaired the unit at no cost to the user. It took awhile to get mine replaced (2 months) but was well worth the wait.
Good luck
Emery & Bennie
Shoot Skeet and play Golf
32' Prowler 5th Wheel
F250 Power Stroke

timsrv
Explorer
Explorer
I think Dometic decides on a case to case basis, and the squeaky wheel theory most likely applies. There have been some here that have had new cooling cores installed and others that got entirely new refers. These units were out of warranty, but since the failures were recall related, they were covered by Dometic. If your failure is non-recall related, you'll most likely be on your own. Good luck and let us know how things come out. Tim

Central_Iowa_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
I just stumbled across this website as I was researching the recall on my refer. It appears mine is one of the bad one and it has already cracked and leaked (yellow residue all over the back side and it won't cool).

What is the remedy once it has gone this far? Do they have to replace the entire unit? I need to call my dealer tomorrow (I just discovered the problem on Sunday) . My wife received the recall notice a while back and forgot to tell me about it! I'm glad nothing went "poof" on us!

Thanks in advance for helping the new guy to this site out!

WilleyB
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Tim, Nice catch on the even heating of the element. This now causes me to wonder if I replaced the heater in our reefer needlessly as the one I removed is evenly discolored up to the bend. http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e395/WilleyB/?action=view&current=Heater-08.jpg
I wish Dometic had come clean about this from the start, it's possible that the only units truly affected were those with heat concentrated in localized areas. That being the case all the would have to do was examine the heating element to see if it was defective. I guess the last thing to find out is how many of the failed units had elements with the heat concentrated in one area.
Willis
Vanguard VXL2000
2000 Ford V10 Triton, E350 Super Duty
Just for me,the Mrs and Gabby

timsrv
Explorer
Explorer
The owner of the refer below used it on electric only. When I arrived on the job-site the discolored area you see was glowing red-hot. It would make me a little nervous to have this thing smoldering inches away from the dry wooden structure. The recall would have shut things down way before this much heat was generated. Tim

Algrayson
Explorer
Explorer
"I do not use propane to run my refer, electric only (most of the time) is it really necessary to have the recall completed?"

Since it seems that it is excessive heat from the electric element that is causing the cracking of the cooling unit tube, I would say so. If the tube cracks, the refrigerant (ammonia, hydrogen & water) will leak out and the unit will stop cooling.

timsrv
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, seeing that nice even heat distribution sold me on it too. After seeing that and using the amp method to calculate watts, I'd have to say going with the Dometic #3850644422 325w 120VAC element is for the best. I suspect the 295W element is of lesser quality and would tend to have hot spots. Tim

Phils
Explorer
Explorer
timsrv wrote:

For anybody interested, I checked my inventory and found Dometic part# 3108702.386 295W 120VAC element is dimensionally the same. I'd be willing to bet the refer would work just fine with one of these. Maybe I'll try it in an RM2862 I've got and let you know what happens. I can't see how it could possibly hurt the refer. Tim

I'm interested. If it fits, please let us know. Would I need to order from Dometic, an online RV parts store, or can I send you a PM?

I've ceased using 120V for my fridges and wasn't going to start again until I saw the photo you posted showing this element to have a more uniform heat pattern, and NOT at the very end where the weld is.

Phil
'03 F250 7.3 deezle and '01 Komfort 27FS
Off the grid and outta sight at home
Go camping to have neighbors and amenities

Desperado359
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled the refer/heater fuse. The refer is off and I pulled the light out, so there should be no power use. I also looked at the Dometic site and went to my refer page, on page 11 at the bottom it talks about the CC, it says if it is on, it will draw 12v all of the time and you should have a charging source to keep the batteries up, so I think I may have found my problem (I think the CC is on)I will check it out tomorrow after work and will post if that is what may be happing. Thanks again.
1995 Ram CTD 2500 SLT, 5 Speed, 4X4, 3.54, ATS manifold. B-D 4" Exhaust Brake, 4" Exhaust, Mach 3 EDM's, 191 DV's, Street โ€œOโ€ plate, 215 pump, 3K GSK, Isspro EV. Boost, EGT, gauge set, 502Hp Dt 8/2007 5th wheel mods
2001 24' 5Th wheel Cougar single slider

timsrv
Explorer
Explorer
No, Climate Control energizes heat tape between the frige and freezer compartments (only pulls about .3 Amps). On models equipped with one, the LAT switch is mounted right beside the Climate Control switch and is marked LAT. When on, the LAT switch bypasses the refer door interior light switch causing the interior light to stay on all the time. Of course the refer needs to be on for this to happen. Is your refer on or off? What fuse are you pulling to make the draw stop? Tim