Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

dumping gray water, apparently no vent?

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Black water dumps fine.

Gray water tank is obviously not vented. Should it be? What can I do to overcome the vacuum issue while dumping?
10 REPLIES 10

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
The grey water vent on my rig is under the kitchen sink.

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
Pull the black tank handle and allow it to drain. Leave it open and pull the grey tank handle. The gray water will help flush the bottom of the black tank and your grey tank will drain just fine. My 08 HR had the grey vent plumbed in to the piping not the tank and it was a little slow unless the black tank was left open.
Randy

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll look at the trailer next time pick it up. I only remember one roof vent.

Great idea on the black water tank partial open.

This trailer is brand new to me, and I'm brand new to camping and TT, so still learning, but no stranger to plumbing.

Halibut214
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
Black water dumps fine.

Gray water tank is obviously not vented. Should it be? What can I do to overcome the vacuum issue while dumping?

What you can do is leave your black water valve partially open to vent it.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sometimes a vent pipe "stack" will drop from its proper position (height) at the rooftop. If it drops enough to submerge the tank end into the tank contents (liquid) it is no longer a vent. Can you get up there and look? Would probably have to remove a vent cap/cover to see.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
how long have you had the camper and did it always do that?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
IF the Air Admittance Valves failed grey tank would still drain properly unless vent line is obstructed.

Reason for the AAVs is to keep 'P' traps from getting sucked dry when drain grey tank.

Grey tank vent is plugged.
Need to go up on roof, locate vent and clear the vent pipe
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutch_12078 wrote:
The black and grey tanks often share a roof vent, but you could also have air admittance valves under the kitchen and/or bathroom counter tops. Those valves sometime stick closed. They usually unscrew from the pipe fairly easily, and only cost a few dollars at home improvement stores.

Those AAVs can be garbage. Replaced the KZ OEM one under our kitchen sink at under a year old because it failed. Bought a replacement at Lowes (under $3) and lo and behold, it too has failed a year later. Pffft...

There are quality ones available (Oatey & Studor) but cost around $30. I know 'cuz that's what we just paid Lowes for a good one. Had to as we are on a long camping trip and DW wanted it fixed like NOW... P You can get a Studor one like in the photo on ebay for under $16.

They fail open (I think you meant to say open?) and that lets the odor from the black tank escape into your kitchen area or bathroom. They're a common failure item. Should be 1 1/2" size. Grey tank odor is just awful - sorta like a dead cat or something rotting under the floor.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
The black and grey tanks often share a roof vent, but you could also have air admittance valves under the kitchen and/or bathroom counter tops. Those valves sometime stick closed. They usually unscrew from the pipe fairly easily, and only cost a few dollars at home improvement stores.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
Black water dumps fine.

Both your black and grey tanks should have stink pipes running up to the roof, just for the purpose of venting those tanks. Yours doesn't? :h
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380