Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Early Dodge 6.7L CTD, EGR and Turbo Issues

flifisher
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I have a 2007 Dodge Mega cab, SLT, 4X4, 6.7L CTD with 36,000 miles. I am the original owner of the vehicle. I have just returned for our fall outing, pulling my 30' fifth wheel 4,300 miles. I had two trouble codes come on during the trip. EGR sensor circuit open and Turbo boost performance. The dealer stated that the EGR cooling system was plugged with soot as well as the Turbo. I ended up paying $755 for the EGR cleaning. (they would not cover the fix because the EGR was not defective and cleaning is listed as a maintenance item) The turbo was replace under my extended warranty. The dealer told me that I should run the truck hard with the exhaust brake on all of the time. Chrysler Customer Care Case Manager stated that "extended towing with a load, dose not help clean the system, even at rpm". I can't figure this one out. Maybe someone with any expertise in this issue can clarify this for me.

I use the truck mainly for towing my fifth wheel, I leave the exhaust brake on while driving and I do not let the engine idle for extended periods.
2018 Ram Laramie Mega Cab Off Road 2500 4X4 6.7 CTD and a Super Gluide hitch
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
9 REPLIES 9

flifisher
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks 3 Ton, I'll check it out.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
flifisher wrote:
Thank you everyone. It sounds like it was a bad emission design to begin with. Thanks for the EGR soot issue 3 Ton. Sounds like I could be in for more issues down the road. I will need to take it on a few trips now and then to clean the system out. Thinking about a trading it in, in a few years. Hope the new ones are better.

The engine is rock solid!!.... Check out the Cummings forum for possible alternatives. JMO...

flifisher
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone. It sounds like it was a bad emission design to begin with. Thanks for the EGR soot issue 3 Ton. Sounds like I could be in for more issues down the road. I will need to take it on a few trips now and then to clean the system out. Thinking about a trading it in, in a few years. Hope the new ones are better.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
A very common problem, I had the same happen on my 2007 6.7. At 18k turbo died (soot)...Now at 114k have had the EGR cooler cleaned and/or replaced 4 times now and at 107k another turbo ($5,100)...Seems that 2007.5 was a beta emissions system...Run with the exhaust brake ON to help ensure that the Varible nozzel turbo stays free (of EGR produced soot) and operable...Investigate regular preventive turbo soot cleanings by technician. DPF cracked at about 44k covered by warranty...Causes were as follows:

Casual driving (i.e. short distance drives, stop & goes, no loads) will prevent passive regen of the DPF (a controlled burn in DPF per temporary computer enriched injectors - provides excess unburned fuel source for controlled regen burn)...Eventually (without regular regenerations), the DPF gets plugged, thus when the passive burn finally does begin (one fine day after about 40 min of steady engine operation), the heavily soot laden DPF overheats from whats now an extended burn & temp and cracks its housing, sending smelly exhaust fumes up through the cowl and into the cab...By this time the EGR circuit is also already well plugged with soot, and your likely getting light headed or headaches from the fumes as well...EGR cooler size was made larger in later years...

Best of Luck,

3 tons

Root cause is excess soot via EGR valve through the exhaust tract...

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same truck and also run with my exhaust brake on all the time, except in the snow or ice. I know this doesn't help you at all, but my truck runs great since I deleted my egr and all the restrictive exhaust. And no, my truck isn't much louder and doesn't blow black smoke. My truck did break down one time when the dpf wouldn't regen and I had to take the exhaust apart on the side of the road with the 5th wheel in tow.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS

GaryGus
Explorer
Explorer
I have basically the same truck, 2009, with 71000 miles. The 67,500 EGR clean is covered by the California 7 year/70000 emissions warranty. I just had mine done in July, even though I had to discuss it at length with the dealer. Most dealers here in California seem to be unaware of this, and certainly do not seem to volunteer the info. Saying that, I find it hard to believe your cleaning was not covered somehow. Hope this helps.
Gary
2019 Ram Crew Cab 6.4, 4.10s, 4WD
2005 Hitchhiker II 29.5 LKTG
"Greetings from the sunny San Joaquin Valley"

INBellbuoy
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same issue, do run that exhaust brake all of the time. I took mine to a guy who works at Cummins in Columbus, IN and works on 6.7 engines on the side.
INBellbuoy, wife of 36 yrs, 19 yr old son, & Scruffy the Goldendoodle, 2007 Dodge 3500 Quad Cab, 2005 Lund 1800 Explorer w/ 90 hp Yamaha & Minn Kota I-Pilot Link , 2006 Host Yukon W/ Tent 80W solar panel

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Same truck, you need to some research online. Lots of information on this. Basically lugging and too much low speed driving. Sadly your in the worst state for easy resolution of the problem. Keep the revs over 1700 at all times, no idling. Drive it like you stold it is about all you can do. Me? Deletes when I get ahead of the game.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I think they should have covered it since the cleaning is not required before 67K miles.
I think there's something else going on. Many people end up doing that service at the recommended interval only to find it didn't need it at all.
I suggest you post your situation on the Turbo Diesel Register.
There are some very talented mechanics and dealer techs there that may be able to give you a better idea of what's going on.

Scott