Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford F-250 tow

Zigpep
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
we have a fifth wheel with max weight of 14,300. We are no where near that but want to have a truck that tows over the 14,300. Fifth wheel is a 31.5 Nuwa. We have been searching for a truck for a while. Started out thinking we needed a 3500 duality but have seen so many Ford F-250 towing heavy fifth wheels we did a little more research and talked to a few people in campgrounds too.
From what we can see we should be good with a 2008 or newer Ford F-250 diesel super duty Single wheel (dually not necessary), with the tow package option ( from what I can tell it is standard on the 250).
My question is what are we missing? Iโ€™m sure there is something. Iโ€™ve checked the ford fleet tow ratings and we seem to be good. They have separate rating for conventional towing and fifth wheel towing on their websites. I really like the way they list the tow ratings, has been very difficult to find with dodge and Chevy. Initially our last choice was the ford. We know we donโ€™t want anything older than the 2008 due to the issues with the 6.0 liter.
This option also puts us at our price point of about 25,000. Any one know of anything we have not considered re tow capabilities and also any glaring issues or problems with the 2008 to 2011 ford 250 diesel super duty?
Thanks zigpep
24 REPLIES 24

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with above. Check the Ford Fleet link someone posted above. In the year you specified the payload is 2400-2500 depending on short bed/long bed for crew cab. The same year F350 has about 1000+ more capacity in payload so as others say it would be prudent in upgrading rear suspension.
I did tow 5th wheels with a 2014 F250 XLT and it had plenty of power but did sag on the big ones (15k GVWR). It was a work truck and my only option so I dealt with it. I was solo (min cargo) and the trailers were empty with no cargo, propane or liquids (new) so I was on the lighter side. Add family, luggage, food, liquids and propane and things would change.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd say you should do some more research before buying a 2003 - 2007 Ford (6.0L) or 2008 - 2010 Ford (6.4L) diesel. They were both made under contract by Navistar International, very, very troublesome by most accounts. Ford even sued Navistar over the cost of warranty claims for these engines.

The 2011 Ford diesel was a new, in house (Ford) designed 6.7L diesel which was much better, but then it's the very first iteration of a new engine which most will say to stay away from. But a huge improvement to be sure, and likely every bit as reliable as a 2011 Duramax or Cummins.

On the truck chassis, 14,000+ is going to likely exceed a few of the ratings of an F250, or any other 2500 series truck, and will almost certainly require beefing up the rear suspension (timbrens, airbags, extra leafs, etc.).

I think you're in 350/3500 territory with that 5er.

Have fun shopping.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bird Freak wrote:
If I listened to all these same OLD Ford haters here I would be scared to even start my 04 F250. Glad I don't listen to them.
Sure are a lot of these sorry old trucks on the road.

Yep... My '12 6.7PSD has 129k miles and one Nox sensor repair to date. I'm sure the turbo is going to go out soon. :B
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I listened to all these same OLD Ford haters here I would be scared to even start my 04 F250. Glad I don't listen to them.
Sure are a lot of these sorry old trucks on the road.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, I see lots of F250 and 2500 series trucks pulling big 5th wheels. Most of 'em are sagging in the rear as they go down the road.

To the contrary, I seem to notice how the srw trucks seem to sit level when I observe them going down the road.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
What you're missing is the second main dimension in towing, pin (or tongue) weight.

Sure the truck is rated to tow 14,000lbs worth of 5th wheel trailer, but a 5th wheel travel trailer generally has 25%+ of its overall weight on the pin. In a 14,000lb trailer that is 3500lbs, not counting the weight of the hitch or the weight of the people in the cab or the weight of the fuel.

Ain't no diesel F250 on the market with 3500lbs of payload capacity.

I agree, I see lots of F250 and 2500 series trucks pulling big 5th wheels. Most of 'em are sagging in the rear as they go down the road. That's not good for driver or passenger comfort, let alone stability and handling. Sure it's safe given the odds of being in an accident are slim even if you try, but that's really not the issue at hand, even though people will try to tell you it is.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
As stated above, the F250 & F350 SRW trucks are the same except the springs and related hardware. When buying used, find the best condition and price and upgrade the suspension if needed.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
op wrote:
From what we can see we should be good with a 2008 or newer Ford F-250 diesel super duty Single wheel (dually not necessary), with the tow package option ( from what I can tell it is standard on the 250).
My question is what are we missing? Iโ€™m sure there is something.

I have no idea what your definition of a tow package but Ford has a camper package or heavy service package that is a option for the F250 ....but doesn't come on all F250 trucks. The package has the same front and rear suspension as the F350 SRW truck. F350 srw has three different RAWR packages from a 6390/6730/7000 rawr.
In the year model your looking at the F250 has a 6100 rawr and several front axle ratings. The 6100 rawr will be carrying all the weight in the bed includes wheels/tires and rear suspension. The f250 rear axle may weigh in the 3000 lb range which leaves it with approx 3100 lbs for a in the bed payload.
Realistic pin weight for a 14xxx lb trailer can be 3400-3700 lbs depending on how the combo is loaded.
If the F250 doesn't have the heavy service package/camper package then the trucks rear spring pack/wheels and tires will need a upgrade.

Use this holy bible from Ford as it gives you all the different weight packages for the F250/F350 SRW trucks in the different year models https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/techspec.html
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
The confusion on this subject never ceases to amaze me. It's not complicated at all.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
You need more than a 250. My '16 F250 has the 10,000 gross weight rating which still only gets me 2400 and change for payload. You could have a pin weight of 3500 pounds with that trailer.

Grateful_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I love my 6.4. Granted I havent' had it long, and already replaced the entire fuel system ($8,000 - that the dealer paid). However, since it has been a beast. I have researched as much as one possibly could. The best thing for them is sticking with 5,000 oil changes and change out fuel filters every 10,000. As soon as my extended warranty expires the DPF is gone. But knowing what I know now, I am planning on keeping a reserve of at least 4,000 for the next repair - the cab usually has to come off. I got a killer deal on mine, but if you have the extra money, I would try to go with a 15+ 6.7. Don't be fooled in thinking the cummins or duramax are any less problematic. There is a lot of negative reading on the web for a 6.4 - but it they sold a ton of them, and most of the people that take the time to post about it are ticked off - there are just as many good stories floating around. If you find a decent 6.4 (09/10) - here is what I suggest - take it to a reliable mechanic and have compression test run, check the oil pan for excessive fuel (some is going to be present), and most importantly have upper and lower fuel filters changed and checked for any metal.

I am waiting for my neighbor to finally decide to sell me his 02 7.3 with 35,000 miles. That is the dream set up.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Since you are buying just jump up to the 1 ton. Maybe not dually but for the cost difference there is nothing to gain by skimping.

Now if you get a good deal and the weight ratings are there for a 3/4ton, I wouldn't rule it out but only if you get a good enough deal to justify it.

Key point: 5th wheels are usually limited by the pin weight not the tow rating. Any of the diesels will drag 14k easily.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
There's a reason why the 2008-2010 powerstroke is much cheaper than the Duramax and Cummins. That being said, my buddy owns one and it runs great since he did the emissions "fix". If you want a fifth wheel, I would recommend the 350. I am currently running the setup in my signature and I'm 1,000 over my GVW, "fixed" with airbags (I do have higher rates tires than stock and I'm under each axles weight rating). I personally would rather have a 350, but that's not in the cards monetarily right now. My pickup is paid off and I need it to stay that way for a couple more years.

Go to Ford forums and read up on the 6.4 engine. It's a good engine if you know what you are getting into and don't mind tinkering. If you don't want to tinker, spend more money up front and you'll come out ahead.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looking to buy used I would be looking at a Ram or GM 2008 to 2012 for your assumed price range.
If you choose a 2500/250 you will likely exceed the listed GVWR. That said if you are ok with running over GVWR then a 2500/250 is basically a 3500/350 just with slightly softer springs.
I tow a 12,360# GVWR with a 2001 Ram 2500 CTD 4X4, I am over the TV GVWR, but tows great. Would I rather be within GVWR, sure, but the current Ram runs great.

While I like the Cummins engine, I have no issues with the Dodge/Ram wrapper other than before 2013 their GVWR seemed low compared to what people carry and tow with it.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"