cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electrical cord wrapped in a circle cause problems?

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
Several weeks back was at a private campground. The owner and another fellow were trying to work out a lack of ground on their 50 amp connection (this really is neither here nor there).

Anyway, the owner (a man in his 70/80's) said that having my 50 amp cord wrapped in a circle (you know, like a snake curled up), can cause electrical issues (feedback, etc).

Hey, I am no electrician.

Any reason we shouldn't wrap our electrical cords, or is it an old wives tale?

Or was it an issue way back, but with better insulation in the cords, not an issue anymore?
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB
52 REPLIES 52

jmnoeth
Explorer
Explorer
Bottom line, coiling the cord should not cause any problems, unless you have some pretty extreme conditions.

Heating of the cord could be a problem, if the ambient temperature around the cord is significantly high, and the current draw through the cord is also high. But, under normal circumstances it should not be a problem. As mentioned in other posts, from a theoretical perspective, the inductive reactance of a coiled cord versus one that is not coiled would cause some losses. But, at 60hz (normal power line frequency), these losses would require very sensitive equipment just to measure them. Actually, the inductive reactance would more than likely be offset by the capacitive reactance of the conductors in the cord that essentially run parallel to each other.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wait a minute, we are all wrong. Since the coiled cord had AC it could not have caused a fire from heat. Only a DC coiled cord can start a fire. I'm sorry that I missed this earlier.
Puma 30RKSS

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
so that really WAS rocket surgery!!! ๐Ÿ™‚
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
You guys are good.

It was galvanic reaction between two pins of one of the connectors on one end. As I slowly withdrew one of the pins causing it, the voltage between it and one of the adjoining pins slowly declined. This fiasco held up a $$$$ rocket engine test until I found it and had the crew replace the missile instrumentation cable before proceeding with the countdown!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
pnichols;
Sounds like that may have been a chunk of composite missile cable.
Induction from almost any of electrical inside some of the facilities will be measureable.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

westend
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
I'm way at the end of this, but I'll add one more true-story mystery to see who can solve it -

While In the AF at a high tech facility I once held a multi-wire cable in my hands not coiled - with each end laying on the floor - and there was a voltage we measured across a couple of pins of the connectors on each end. What caused this?

Hint: I had to destroy this expensive taxpayer provided cable to solve it.
Capacitance in the wires, induction, or galvanic reaction between wires?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm way at the end of this, but I'll add one more true-story mystery to see who can solve it -

While In the AF at a high tech facility I once held a multi-wire cable in my hands not coiled - with each end laying on the floor - and there was a voltage we measured across a couple of pins of the connectors on each end. What caused this?

Hint: I had to destroy this expensive taxpayer provided cable to solve it.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
This has been very informative. I never fully understood theory of drift or EMF and Counter EMF and while I still don't I now understand the theory of the pain in my side being directly proportional to the creative humor of a bunch of guys who like to extrapolate and confuseigate (I just made that word up) a truly important issue that had been logically answered in plain English.

Thanks to the Mods on this page for letting the thread go on forever or at least until the tears in my eyes made me quit reading.

It has been fun.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
This should be a sticky!

Can someone explain which connections to swap so my solar panels can be used as scare lights at night? Does that only work with MPPT?
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
Must have been an improvement over the retroencabulator....
Yeah, that's a classic.
The remake may be even better!
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
2013 RAM 3500 4x4, crew cab, long bed, 6.7 CTD, Aisin trans.
CGVW 20460 Lbs.

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
gkainz wrote:
Since it's AC in the cord, the reverse current cancels out the centrifigal force with centripal force and net is zero. However, if neutral bleeds over to ground, then the power company starts sucking the reserve elecricity out of your components, whereas your toaster converts toast into fresh bread, coffee makers turn coffee into fresh water and your freezer makes hot water.

OK, that explains something that happened to me a couple of months ago. When I installed a new battery in my truck the cables were too long. Instead of cutting them, I coiled them in a very tight coil to take up the slack. This must have introduced some centripal force, which changed the alternator into a motor. Instead of generating electricity to charge the batteries, it started turning the crankshaft. The engine started sucking the particulate matter out of my DPF, combining it with oxygen and creating diesel fuel. It was really a problem. After 100 miles or so, I had fuel running out of my filler cap all down the side of the truck. I've had to wash it three times in the last week.

I'll take the coils out of the cable first chance I get.
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
2013 RAM 3500 4x4, crew cab, long bed, 6.7 CTD, Aisin trans.
CGVW 20460 Lbs.

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Do what you want but an electric cord wrapped in a circle is an electromagnet less an iron core. It creates and electromagnetic field and reduces the power at the business end.

What difference in power have you noticed when a cord is rolled?

Don't know, I'm smart enough to remember what I was taught when I worked on Nike Hercules Missile systems for the U.S. Army.
If you have a monster cord and a light load you will not notice, but subject that same cord to the maximum load an watch stuff start smoking and melting.
Marvin
PS, MEX or DRWIZ, clear up this mess so we novices can rest. ๐Ÿ™‚
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Hiking Hunter wrote:
This circuit is known as a quasi-complimentary symmetery, chopped transient blanking astable multivibrator (with regenerative feedback) circuit.
Must have been an improvement over the retroencabulator.... (google that)

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
๐Ÿ™‚ :):):):):):):):):):)
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman