cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

electrical help

lovemytt
Explorer
Explorer
When hooking up trailer tonight the power at the post flips the breaker when i plug the trailer. What should i do?
2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Hemi Engine
2012 R-Vision Crossover 200
10 REPLIES 10

lovemytt
Explorer
Explorer
Fleetwood99 wrote:
RVing troopers. Thanks for update.

Thanks! You made us smile!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some RV's seem to have issues with a GFCI.. There are several suspects but I'm told some converters will trip a GFCI if the batteries are low, others if they are full, others all the time, others never (if working properly) Mine is a never type (Progressive Industries 9100 with wizard).

Water heaters and fridges sometimes trip 'em too, epically if the heat element has a short to case near the NEUTRAL side of the beast. (If it's hear the other side it trips breakers)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Fleetwood99
Explorer
Explorer
RVing troopers. Thanks for update.
99 Fleetwood Vision 36Zulu V10 Gas F53 Chassis
Hyd Leveling man/keypad (Powergear)
Electric Slideouts (Powergear) x2
2005' 4020 Fadal 4Axis CNC Mill w/24Datc
Hendy 16x72" WWII Navy Lathe 1800RPM

lovemytt
Explorer
Explorer
30 amp - gfci tripping - moved to 3rd site and the post now works. Thank you. I called my husband when i moved it to the 2nd site and he said to write you guys. It was a calamity setup.
1st site - chocked, put tongue down, plug in and water hose connected before i realized the trailer wasnt level side to side. We unchocked, hooked trailer up and rolled it onto 2 boards on one side. Unhooked again then saw no light to post. I took the electric cord to the next sitr plugged it in and had blue light so we threw everything in the back of the truck and went to the next site. Leveled side to side prior to unhooking then plugged in electric. Then the 30 amp post would flip everytime i hooked up the trailer. Called husband, got out all documents of trailer, got hotspot working and posted with son's help. Got fed up and went to the 3rd site with cord and it lit up...rehooked trailer and pulled to the next site. No need to level side by side plugged in electrical and it worked. When i was unhooking i couldnt figure out why the tongue post kept on buckling. I hadnt chocked and after the 2nd time of putting it on the hitch yelled we got to chock. My son and i finished the setup in silence. Levelers, xchocks, water and sewer. No trouble from any other part of the trailer. I think we scared it into submission. When it came to puttingnthe stuff up inside we threw outside what goes and are done. We cant believe we survived the experience and have been laughing in shock for the rest of the evening. Life - you just cant make this stuff up.

Again thanks for the help.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
What exactly are you plugging into? A 30 amp, 50 amp, 20 amp, circuit?

Is a breaker tripping or a GFCI?

Are you using an extension cord?

More info always is helpful.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If you haven't been experiencing this anyplace else, I would not keep plugging in and tripping a big breaker. Eventually what ever in your rig is shorting it may fail catastrophically.
I am concerned the pedestal is miswired.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Turn off all circuit breakers in the rig.
Plug into pedestal
Turn on breaker in pedestal.
If it does not trip, turn one breaker on in the rig at a time starting with main if equipped.
Report back!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Moved from Forum Technical Support

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
MOD, PLEASE MOVE FROM FORUM TECHNICAL SUPPORT TO PROPER FORUM

Test the connection with a meter to make sure it is wired correctly. Try dropping your breakers and see if it still does it.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
move to a diff site or see if the plug looks bad do you have your breakers off