cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fed up with Direct TV - need help!

Vegas1
Explorer
Explorer
Today I replaced my older King Dome with a new Winegard Roadtrip Mission connected to a Direct TV H24. The install went great until I attempted to test it out. I have the package that includes local channels, but unable to receive them while parked in front of my stick house. Sat 101 is fine and provides programming as it should. Sat 119 is not sending local channels, despite all transponders putting out signals above 86.
I literally spent over 2 hours on the phone with Direct TV, but they were unable to get the locals to work. I keep getting a message 721 stating I have to order the local channels in order to receive them. Direct TV says I already have it included in the package. I have done everything possible including the latest software update. Direct TV says they will a tech out,but I fear this may just be an installer who knows nothing about advanced tech issues. Besides switching to Dish, does anybody have any suggestions?
Bill
2012 Itasca Suncruiser 37 F
Ford F-53 24,0000
2010 Chevy Equinox. Blue Ox & Brake Buddy
20 REPLIES 20

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You got the wrong antenna!
Specs says it will only pick up one satellite. Have a choice of 101 or 119 for DirectTV.
Roadtrip mission specs

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not sure what local TV is anymore... It used to on your local address account as a separate items. Our local stations include Washinton DC and Richmond VA TV stations here in King George VA.

Then it changed to being what they call "SPOT BEAMS" depending on your ZIPCODE...

I would think if you was in Wichita Falls Texas and was signed up for 'local stations in the Washington DC viewing area' I have a feeling you will be getting what is only SPOT BEAMED to the Wichita Falls ZIP Code area... Since you are not signed up for the Wichita Falls SPOT BEAM you get nothing???? The only way to see your account authorized SPOT BEAMS would to be physically located in that ZIP CODE area ??? Washington DC SPOT BEAMS may not come down to the Wichita Falls TX areas...

The I have heard you can contact DirecTv and change your physical location a couple times a year then it may possibly work for the local stations in that new ZIP CODE area only???

Then I heard you could see local stations from New York and California on request from anywhere in the US...

It may be different from my thoughts on this...

I like DutchmanSport changed to using our OTA BATWING antenna in 2009 when all of the Natl Broadcast stations started showing the HDTV Digital TV signals. This allows us to pick-up FREE TO VIEW local HDTV signals from the local towns where we were camping at... Finally stopped bringing along all of SAT GEAR with us...

We get our NCIS fix just fine watching the local OTA HDTV signals from the local towns where we are at...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is the specs page for the Winegard Mission dome which is limited to SD content and can only receive one sat at a time. The Mission dome may not be able to do what you are expecting, a quick call to Winegard should provide pertinent info to your dome's capabilities. We always used/purchased the same dish we have at home mounted on a stand to receive all the subscribed programming wherever we camp including locals if RVing within our home state. Hope you get it figured out.

Vegas1
Explorer
Explorer
Don: It is SD and toggles between 101 for regular programming and 119 for locals. Problem is that is not receiving locals.
2012 Itasca Suncruiser 37 F
Ford F-53 24,0000
2010 Chevy Equinox. Blue Ox & Brake Buddy

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We switched from DirectTV to DishTV a few years ago because they kept jacking up prices. We finally dropped DishTV completely too because they kept jacking up prices. We are now over-the-air only. So, we don't have to pay for fifteen thousand six hundred ninty-nine stations of advertisement any more. Do you realize, most stations show 1 minute of show and 2 minutes of advertisment.... time it and draw your own conclusions what you are really "paying" for. So now we get FREE advertisments! And we get what we get, wherever we happen to get it. And at least it's free and every camping spot is different. Our world is so much simpler now! My solution to your problem, get rid of satellite TV and just stick with over-the-air.

Count yourself lucky you were able to talk to a real person on the phone!

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is the road trip capable of getting more than one bird at a time? I suspect the problem is your choice of dishes, not Directs problem.

Just checked and the roadtrip is SD only on DirecTV.