cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix crack in shower wall

calliopeguy
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a used 2007 Suunybrook Brookside 5th wheel this spring from a private party out of town. Today I discovered a crack in the side of the shower stall. It is near the bottom, a clean break, parallel to the floor, and about 6" long coming out from both sides of a plastic wall fastener for a total 12" length. I would like to make it look good but I don't think that's going to happen. I would at this point just patch it and make it water-proof. I can't get at the backside of it. Any ideas how I can patch this shower wall crack?

Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.

Ken and Renee
2014 Ram Gas V-6
Semper Fi! W0CSC
16 REPLIES 16

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
If is just a crack that hasn't separated, you could use some methylene chloride solvent to "melt" the plastic back together. Its colorless, and makes an almost invisible weld. Sign companies use it to repair plexiglass signs; you should be able to get some from them. Take a glass, not plastic, container to store it in.:B Note, it does not / cannot fill gaps. The cracked parts must still be in contact. I just use a cheap plastic pipeter to squirt it into the crack. Also works beautifully on cracked skylights.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
Shoe goo or Goop
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used JB wet weld putty to repair a crack in my shower basin. Still holding strong.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Bondo if fiberglass.

If plastic go to West marine and look for a plastic boat repair kit. It is a special epoxy for plastic. Not pretty but it will likely work. Can be painted. About 30.00 I think. http://www.westsystem.com/ss/repair-kits Here it is. I think the 655 kit. Google it ...high reviews. I used it on a Kayak worked like a dream.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
The first thing I would do is drill 1/8 inch holes just beyond the ends of the crack to prevent it cracking further. The hole spreads out the load that allows the crack to expand.
Be sure the hole is PAST the existing ends of the crack. If not it will just crack further.
Then repair as suggested.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
If it's fiberglas, check in your area to see if you have any fiberglas repair businesses. We use them to repair fiberglas tubs/showers in our rentals. A good technician can repair it and you won't be able to see the repair at all.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

badboy368
Explorer
Explorer
be sure to drill a small ( 1/8 ) hole at each end of the crack before doing the repair to keep the crack from spreading.
40' pusher,350 turbo cat, pullin a 37' trailer haulin a drag car. oh yea baby

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Clicky

It reminds me of this. The guy seals a screen door at the bottom of a row boat. That should be the ticket .

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
I think your concern should be to make sure the crack is sealed so water gets in and damages the structure behind the crack. Covering it with something just to hide the crack is the wrong approach.
I guess that it depends how big the crack is and if it opens up more with pressure like when your standing in the shower pan.
There are a couple of small cracks in the shower of my trailer that have been repaired with silicone caulk. it works fine I check them occasionally and they are not moving so I leave them alone.
jesse

marly
Explorer
Explorer
If it is near the floor look at flexible vinyl self adhesive base molding from your local home improvement store. Comes in some colors plus white. About 4 inches wide.

mobilefleet
Explorer
Explorer
you could use textured paint in a spray can (white I assume your color) which would cover the crack and make it invisible. Mask off tub if it's a tub/shower combo by using a garbage bag and masking tape all the way around the top rim of tub where it is separated from shower.

calliopeguy
Explorer
Explorer
I think my wall is plastic, not fiberglass. I'm not familiar with a lot of the repair stuff but is there something that will stick to a wall while drying? Everything I read about requires making kind of like a puddle and let it dry....how do I do that on the side of a wall?
Ken and Renee
2014 Ram Gas V-6
Semper Fi! W0CSC

rode2nowhere
Explorer
Explorer
mine is cracked too, it looks plastic to me, about a 6 inch crack...near bottom of sidewall

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with othertonka regarding Bondo. Specifically, I'd try getting this repair kit. Once complete, sand and paint to match and you might get away without having to replace the shower.

Bondo Fiberglass Repair Kit
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)