cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flex Seal repair on grey tank.

Sooner_Schooner
Explorer
Explorer
Have any of you used a Flex Seal product to repair a crack in a holding tank?
2008 Damon Tuscany 4076 40' Diesel Pusher
29 REPLIES 29

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
I used plastimend on the rear wall of my black tank. So far it has held up and I don't see any reason that it would fail. They do provide a small piece of fiberglass window screen to use for reinforcement. I bought a bit more screen to make sure it was well supported.

This is probably nothing more than Acetone and ABS chips, but it worked for me so I'm happy.

Link
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
I have used it on some repairs. I would use it on a temporary, internal repair, such as the shower. I would not use it on an external application, such as a cracked tank. Won't hold up under pressure for long. Temporary applications because while very sticky, it will work loose under many applications.

Sooner_Schooner
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
If the crack is in the bottom, in an area where the tank is going to flex a lot, and not well supported chances are slim an adhesive will last too long as the tank fills and sags.
You may want to look at adding a support under the tank to take some stress off of it.

It's on a side wall. Thank you.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
RobWNY wrote:
Maybe the Flex Seal didn't work because you didn't apply it with a big smile while yelling out "It's like liquid rubber in a can!"
LOL
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sooner Schooner wrote:
Have any of you used a Flex Seal product to repair a crack in a holding tank?

It's garbage. Stay away from EVERYTHING Flex Seal!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the Flex Seal didn't work because you didn't apply it with a big smile while yelling out "It's like liquid rubber in a can!"
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
If the crack is in the bottom, in an area where the tank is going to flex a lot, and not well supported chances are slim an adhesive will last too long as the tank fills and sags.
You may want to look at adding a support under the tank to take some stress off of it.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I tried some Flex Seal spray to try and seal a small leak in a corner gutter. Awful stuff, never worked at all, just foamed and did squat. I've used Goop on a lot of stuff and it is pretty good stuff. I don't think JB Weld would work as well because it has no "give" when set.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Sooner_Schooner
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the input.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I used some tank repair from camping world twice. Crack at corner, stuff held up good. Crack where drain pipe connects not so good. If doing over I would pull tank so I could "prep" bad spot better. Might of help up better?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We used on a crack in the tank of our commode in our S&B several years ago. We put 3 coats on it, letting it dry the recommended time specified. It lasted for about 2 years before it began leaking again. I wanted to dry, spray and let it work for another two years, but DH decided he would rather just get a new commode.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I've used goop on everything from my slide seal to shoes to motorcycle seats. Most of the time it's sold out at HD near me. 600 is often sold as a fabric mender and seems similar to goop.

If the tank is black abs I've also repaired with a kit found online. People use abs shavings and mixes that you can find on YouTube

Goops contribution to mankind is right in there with weedeaters, bungee cords and chainsaws.

RICKIM
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not on a grey tank but I've had to use it on my shower stall floor.
It held up fine for the last 2-1/2 years we had the camper. The tape is very similar to eternabond. I had to use it in a pinch and was surprised at its durability.
I drilled a 1/8" hole at each end of the crack then cleaned/prepped the floor with naphtha then cut a piece of flex seal a few inches to overlap the crack and it held up great.
Very sticky to work with if you handle it a lot.
I used the flex seal paint over the tape to blend the tape in with the bottom of the stall. Stuff worked good also. "As seen on TV" product made me squirm a little, but, it worked well.
Good luck,
Rick
2018 AF1140DB, 400W solar, Trimetric, Lifeline GPL-31XTโ€™s, rear deck,
2019 5500 Ram Crew, DRW, 6.7L-CTD, Custom TC bed, on board air, Front Rack

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Unless it is a replica of the San Andreas fault, GOOP adhesive is as good a repair as any. The crack need to be dry. Place the nozzle of the tube hard against the crack, squeeze then follow the crack. Repairs have outlived my ability to keep track of them years later.

This stuff stretches like a rubber band and adheres tighter than a Time Share salesman. Scuffing up the edge area alongside the crack with 80 grit makes it stick even tighter. Want decorative results? Paint over top with RustOLeum black bed paint.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately I gave it a try on other projects around the house....my opinion: junk and hype.

Might look at something like JB Weld for the repair on your grey tank..
Good luck with it.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro