cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generac generators

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
I just saw an ad in Trailer Life for the iQ2000 by Generac. The ad says it beats Honda. I'm unfamiliar with this generator. Please share your knowledge/experiences pro or con.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
28 REPLIES 28

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
I thought that ad sounded too good to be true and after reading your comments I think I'll go with the Honda. Thanks everyone. I appreciate your wisdom.
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

csamayfield55x
Explorer
Explorer
My experience was with the new IQ series not the ix. The biggest difference is in the engine size. It is an 80cc engine where the Honda is a 98.it was not significantly quieter than the Honda except in the low speed. The dB rating is 2 less than the Honda. I found it in a spec sheet deep on the website.

BTW, when I was trying to find out why the 2 of them in parallel would not run my ac I talked to the local service center. He told me that he hated them and they were nothing but trouble. He also said that I'd there was anything wrong with the inverter section it had to be sent off and could take 6 weeks or more.

Chris
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins Quad cab
B&W 20K turnover ball, Proline custom flatbed
Tekonsha P3
2015 Open Rang Light 311FLR

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
My experiance with generac is it's fine until it's not then try to get service. Their business policy is to recruit new dealers and really not care is the new dealer can service or even has the knowledge to service their product. My home unit is fine but my next door neighbors is a train wreck. Has never been good and has had many people try to repair it. I've offered to remove it and take it to the factory for service (less than 200 miles from here) Oh no, don't do that, we won't accept it. It must be serviced by one of our dealers. I for one would not by Generac again.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tried reading thru all the specs looking for the sound level and couldn't find it. Has anyone actually found the sound specs?? It's easy to say you beat Honda, but lets see it in print.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

JW_of_Opechee_S
Explorer
Explorer
Have a Generic RV generator in my fiver, it was in my Jayco and took it with me to my first Cameo and now with my second Cameo. It is over ten years old and still starts every time, it is 6500KW so runs both AC's and everything else without disturbing anyone. Quiet like you wouldn't believe especially with the exhaust tube. Generic stopped making RV units quite a whiled age but still is major supplier of whole house units and other commercial units. I appears that they have decided to re-enter the small unit market with quieter units. The probable 5500KW I used in construction would be too loud for camping, but if I needed a portable quite one I would definitely consider them due to reliability and history.
Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then:)

byrdr1
Explorer
Explorer
csamayfield55 wrote:
I had a total of 5 iq2000 generators trying to make them work as advertised. 2 in parallel would not run a keurig coffee pot. I returned them all and got 2 Hondas. You would be better off getting champions! BTW, I put a full review of them on last spring

Chris

I could not swing the honda cost for my RV generator. So I went the Champion route. It's the 4000w model with 30a plug. it has served me well when I needed it. Now I am not using it at the campground or anything like that. BUT it has provided me power on the road when needed and it worked several days on my cross country trip Memorial Day weekend. MY only complaint was it ran our of juice overnight and I was not aware of it until the next morning, BUT the camper stayed cool until I could refuel it.I have a 30a plug and play 125' cord for my 50a connection on the camper. if you have the cash Honda seems to be the way to go. Generac IS A NAME BRAND. (Caps???).
JMHO
randy

2014 F-350 SRW CC/LWB 4X4 6.7PSD

2011 Keystone Cougar 327RES
Happy Campin'
Randy
Piedmont area of NC

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
They just this summer came out with the new model IQ2000. No experience with it but it is much quieter than the Honda hearing them side by side. Some sites only rate it at 1600 watts, some at 2000. First model was the IX2000, the IQ replaces it maybe. All only have a standard 110V plug in. Cheaper than Honda but my money for an RV would stay with the Honda.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

csamayfield55x
Explorer
Explorer
I had a total of 5 iq2000 generators trying to make them work as advertised. 2 in parallel would not run a keurig coffee pot. I returned them all and got 2 Hondas. You would be better off getting champions! BTW, I put a full review of them on last spring

Chris
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins Quad cab
B&W 20K turnover ball, Proline custom flatbed
Tekonsha P3
2015 Open Rang Light 311FLR

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
If you dont stale fuel the Honda and Yam, they will run almost forever. In the shops I worked in it was usually the generac and others that came in with electrical problems. If you know that it may be a 1 yr purchase or so and you dont operate it in the higher end of it's available power range buy a generac if you want to save money. If you want it for a long time and tend to run it a little higher in it's power range buy an Honda or Yamaha. Put both names in a hat and draw one.
If you were to change plans and want to sell a generator down the road you will get a higher percentage of return on the H or Y.

The general attitude of mechanics and the owner in the shop was oh god, another generac. I had a 4500 watt or so open frame generac that broke an armature winding right at the epoxy the first time the power went out. It was 2 weeks out of warr they wouldn't do anything. They directed me to a dealer out in the sticks who said well I dont wok on them full time but maybe we can line something up so you can drop it off.

Another thing I have seen my buddy the John Deere dealer do is provide out of warr service for his customers. By HIS I mean people who he always sells stuff to. Here and there he would eat stuff that he just couldn't stomach seeing his customerss eat. He would pop into the computer and see where it was bought and there is a difference of who is first in line when the power goes out and there are 40 generators needing repair.

With the lower Generac price it also does lets you buy with part of your risk calculation being that it's a throw away purchase.

SanMarMor
Explorer
Explorer
Generac has been making generators for a long time. They are a good name in generators. Our home portable generator for power outage is a Generac, and they make a lot of the whole home automatic units.

Mark
2007.5 Chevy 3500HD Crew DMax Dually 4x4 w/ Curt Q5 20K Hitch
2011 Sabre 31RETS-6 w/ TrailAir Pin

44 nights in 2013, 37 nights in 2014, 27 nights in 2015, 29 nights in 2016
34 nights in 2017, 27 in 2018

http://camping.morrises.com/

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
klr650goldwing wrote:
The ad says that it beats Honda on sound power levels. And it sells for 799.

I've been on the forum long enough to know, nothing beats a Honda gen, maxxis tires, or a B&W hitch.:W

I think the Generac is nice looking, but no experience with it.

BTW, I'm one for three on the above.

Jerry

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
The ad Here

A review From a regular contributer to this forum

Good price and is very quiet,meets my needs.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
The ad says that it beats Honda on sound power levels. And it sells for 799.
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not familiar with the Generac. Did the ad say how it beats Honda?