cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GFI button

Carolina_Moonsh
Explorer
Explorer
Suddenly this a.m. the GFI red button started popping out after I plugged my curling iron in - in the bathroom. We've been using it for vacuuming, space heater, and curling iron (never at the same time!) for almost a year with no problem and suddenly it started popping out this a.m.
I had vacuumed earlier with no problem. Any idea what might be causing this all of a sudden? We are on 50 amp with a 1995 Newmar Class A gas engine. Thank you!
11 REPLIES 11

Carolina_Moonsh
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
A common problem with RV GFCIs is the outside outlet.. It gets wet inside the outlet box, and .. pop goes the GFCI,, I recently re-sealed mine to prevent that.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Carolina_Moonsh
Explorer
Explorer
ooops- no that was not me asking about the heated hose.

Carolina_Moonsh
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I think we did- thank you all of you! Yes, the cord on the heated hose is not long enough so what do you do??

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like you found the problem and that's great. We just had a thread about cold weather and heated hose. Was that you? In that thread the hose maker said not to use it with an extension cord. Begs the How Then DO I Use It? question...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Moved from Forum Technical Support

Carolina_Moonsh
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your help. After doing a little research, I think I discovered the problem. We had our heated water hose plugged in to outside outlet on side of coach. We recently had an ice storm and then this a.m. we had heavy rain for a few hours. The plug had gotten wet and I unplugged it and the extension cord plug had starting melting right where it plugs in. I think it may have damaged the outside outlet but not sure yet. I came back inside and pushed in the GFI red pop-out thing and it has not popped out since.So I think that have might haved caused this. Probably will replace anyway just to be safe.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a replacement at a hardware or home improvement store. If it pops with the replacement, then you need to start tracing wiring problems.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Then it has probably failed - that's the usual failure mode.
It's just a standard part you can get at Home Depot, etc.

Carolina_Moonsh
Explorer
Explorer
I thought it was just the curling iron but just tried the space heater and the GFI popped out with that too.

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
If only the curling iron is popping the GFI it probably is going bad. If the GFI detects a very small stray possible harmful current, it's job is to kick off the circuit.
Dr Quick