cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hard wired surge protector versus Autoformer?

therink
Explorer
Explorer
Here is my situation. My fifth wheel has 50amp electrical service. I only have one 15k AC, wired for two but don't plan on adding 2nd. The campground where I am seasonal has 30amp service and iI experience frequently voltage situations (110 volt at the pedestal, should be 118v min without load) during high occupancy weekends, whereas many air conditioners are running. When campground isn't busy, I get 118 at the post but like I said around 110v during peak power demand times. At my AC outlets in the rig, as low as 98v. I know this isn't good.
i am concerned about this and want to know from electrical gurus if installing a hard wired Autoformer will help. Such as this: Autoformer
Also, should I have a hard wired surge protector as well or will the Autoformer duplicate the protection?
Thanks
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.
8 REPLIES 8

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Surge protector is cheep and does about nothing. Don't bother IMO.

Power protection device has surge protection, verifies voltage, polarity and ground before power is connected. Cuts power if an error develops while in use. These are great to have but will just keep cutting power in your situation.

Voltage booster is just that boosting voltage about 10% as needed.
I have a Frank's booster and it basically works but if spending money today it would be Powermaster, Hughes, Surgeguard, and Frank's last.

That yellow box posted above is probably Surgeguard at campingworld. Just a booster. Does not cut power if too low to boost. Even worse it goes to bypass mode if lower than 95 volts :E

Sea_scape
Explorer
Explorer
110 volts at pedestal is low, but still meets standards. 98 volts at air conditioner means you have 12 volt drop from pedestal. I presume these are both measured at the same time with your air conditioner running. Try a heavier cord, look for a poor connection. The step up transformer may solve your problem during low voltage, but if wired in permanently could give you over voltage at other times.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
I would be hunting for another seasonal site unless the current owners upgrade their electrical system. They have serious problems if their power fluctuates over 20% with use.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Hard wired is a preference of convenience.

You are correct on 98v being too low. for an AC rated at 115v you need a minimum of 104v or you will damage the AC and other applianes. We have both, PI50A & Hughes 50A. IMO, you need both for your situation. The autoformer can bring power (from 98) up to around 107v. It will never exceed the 30amps at the post. You should plug in shore power to autoformer to PI to ATS/coach. This allows the autoformer to shape your electricity before the PI, which will then shut down your elec if it does not have at least 104v.

therink
Explorer
Explorer
past-MIdirector wrote:
Autoformer will increase voltage slightly when needed and surge protector will shut down until voltage increase to a safe level. The all in one yellow box system sold at Camping World will do both!

Do you know the product name or can you provide a link? I would like to research. Thanks
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

past-MIdirector
Explorer
Explorer
Autoformer will increase voltage slightly when needed and surge protector will shut down until voltage increase to a safe level. The all in one yellow box system sold at Camping World will do both!

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
98 volts is way too low for your A/C. You need a autoformer to prevent premature compressor failure from over heating. :(.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
They may overlap a little, but they perform very different functions.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE