cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Honda vs Yamaha

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for a new generator and have narrowed it down between two. I was originally going for a Honda 3000is which can be bought online for around $2k delivered to my house. But I also like the Yamaha EF3000iSEB. It has the 500w boost option. It is about a $100 more. I was thinking the boost might come in handy if the A/C started up when you were running other things.

Can anyone tell me their personal experience with the Pro's and Con's between the Honda and the Yamaha, more specifically the model with the 500w boost?

Thanks for your help.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".
29 REPLIES 29

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
NinerBikes wrote:
YMMV, I don't find the Yamaha's to be quiet under some load in eco mode. Possibly something to do with the compression ratio being so high, or the motor works very hard in that capacity.

Perhaps that, and the fact the EF2000iS engine is 20% smaller than the EU2000i engine. 😉
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
I've camped next to others in campsites with the Yamaha 2000is, and there is an absolutely obnoxious "pulse" or "popping" noise sound to the exhaust tone on them. If I spot a campsite available with a neighbor running a blue Yamaha, I will pass on the site and find somewhere else. It was really obnoxious, the exhaust sound of the Yamaha. YMMV, I don't find the Yamaha's to be quiet under some load in eco mode. Possibly something to do with the compression ratio being so high, or the motor works very hard in that capacity.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
dfb wrote:
The Yamaha 2000is puts out a true sign wave non modified.

NOT under all conditions, that's the point.

The ems is a 500.00 surge protector... idk if they are worth it. Been rving for 25 years and never used one...

:h The latest version EMS-PT30X is $326 US & the EMS-PT50X is $453 US directly from Progressive Industries, but both are available through online retailers such as Amazon, etc for FAR less. :B

You've been "lucky" without one but don't worry - the time will come when you wish you had one. In the meantime, ignorance is bliss I guess. :W

dfb
Explorer
Explorer
dfb wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
MeandMyLabs wrote:
The following is copied from the Progressive Industries website.

Yamaha Generator
Please be advised the Yamaha Generator Model EF2000iS does not generate enough start-up current which causes the unit to overload. The generator then puts out non-true Sine Wave power.

dfb wrote:
As far as I know, all inverter Gensets put out a true sign wave....

Not ALWAYS ... but then you'd know that if you read the Progressive Industries / Yamaha Disclaimer. :R

http://www.thegeneratorpower.com/yamaha-ef2000is-vs-honda-eu2000i/

The Yamaha 2000is puts out a true sign wave non modified. They are talking about the Gen putting out enough in my opinion to run an AC OR MICROWAVE. This would cause the generators protection circuit to cut the power. The ems is a 500.00 surge protector... idk if they are worth it. Been rving for 25 years and never used one...

dfb
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
MeandMyLabs wrote:

Yamaha Generator
Please be advised the Yamaha Generator Model EF2000iS does not generate enough start-up current which causes the unit to overload. The generator then puts out non-true Sine Wave power.

dfb wrote:

Not ALWAYS ... but then you'd know that if you read the Progressive Industries / Yamaha Disclaimer. :R

http://www.thegeneratorpower.com/yamaha-ef2000is-vs-honda-eu2000i/

DwnSth
Explorer
Explorer
I've had the Yamaha 2400IHSC over 4 years now with no problems. Starts on first pull. Runs my 13.5k AC (added hard start capacitor) as needed but primarily just use to charge batteries. Actually tested my 15k unit and it started but just wanted to see if it could. Change oil regularly and have cleaned carb etc. I liked the fact that I don't need to carry two. A bit heavy but as long as I can lift to truck bed and move a few feet that's all I care. Very quiet and has done the job so far so no complaints.
2014 Berkshire 360QL

ctilsie242
Explorer II
Explorer II
With what I know, I'd go with the dual-fuel Champion inverter generator. It is good enough, parts are easily found, and having the ability to use propane means you can run the genset empty, switch to propane and run it from that for a bit, completely cleaning out the carb bowl of anything, before storing the unit.

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
Champion rules!!!!
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
MeandMyLabs wrote:

Yamaha Generator

dfb wrote:

dfb
Explorer
Explorer
MeandMyLabs wrote:
Yamaha Generator
Please be advised the Yamaha Generator Model EF2000iS does not generate enough start-up current which causes the unit to overload. The generator then puts out non-true Sine Wave power. Progressive Industries units are designed to operate only on True Sine Wave power.

For this reason, The Progressive Industries Warranty is hereby void if an EMS Unit is used in conjunction with a Yamaha Generator Model EF2000iS. Any damage sustained to the EMS unit are the sole responsibility of the customer.
I am not partial to any brand and do own a Yamaha 2400is but I thought this to be interesting.

As far as I know, all inverter Gensets put out a true sign wave.... generator puts out ac. Ac goes to inverter that takes th ac turns it to D.C. And then back to an ac with true sign wave...

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
MeandMyLabs wrote:
Yamaha Generator
Please be advised the Yamaha Generator Model EF2000iS does not generate enough start-up current which causes the unit to overload. The generator then puts out non-true Sine Wave power. Progressive Industries units are designed to operate only on True Sine Wave power.

For this reason, The Progressive Industries Warranty is hereby void if an EMS Unit is used in conjunction with a Yamaha Generator Model EF2000iS. Any damage sustained to the EMS unit are the sole responsibility of the customer.
I am not partial to any brand and do own a Yamaha 2400is but I thought this to be interesting.

Glad I saw this.. I have a Progressive Industries 30 amp EMS hard wired into my travel trailer. I also have a Yahama EF2000iS generator that I have used with the trailer BUT before I installed the EMS System.. I use the GN plug on the generator. It is almost impossible to unhook the EMS system (due to location) if I ever need to use the generator with the trailer.. Had I known of this issue, I would have purchased the pedestal mounted PG EMS system or a Honda generator.. Oh well.. Live and learn and leave the Yahama EF2000iS generator at home..

dfb
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned both and first test the loudness with a SPL meter from Radio shack.. The Yamaha is quieter by out 2 dbs.. The Yamaha has wheels, a dc battery charger, a fuel gauge, a fuel shut off, steel cam lobes not plastic. Gear drive not belt driven like the Honda.. my choice is the Yamaha... However, at 146 lbs, I can't lift it...
the deal of the Century?.. Costco sells the Champion 2800 inverter for 699.99.. comes with 2 year warranty and if you use the Costco card the Warranty is 4 years. It has an RV plug not twist, inverter, wheels and handle, battery cables, fuel shot off.. It is quiet... at 58 db at 23 feet in eco mode and 59 at full load.. The big bonus is even I, who has had knee, hernia and open spine surgery CAN LIFT IT... weight is under 90 lbs.. .. Great penny for the money... HONESt!!!

ng2951
Explorer
Explorer
I have Honda 2000i and had Yamaha 2400i.The Yamaha ran for about 3 years of hard work before I had problems.The Hondas have given me no problems except when the carbs plugged.

The Yamaha is really a rebadged Boley (Boiley??) generator...that I think is red...go figure. I am not a fan of the 2400 (which is really a derated 3000 with a aluminum head to save weight).

The Yamaha 3000 can be quite nice and have remote start on some models, as do the Boleys. With battery and everything they are really just barely man portable.

Same hold true for the Honda 3000.

Of the two, I would stick with the Honda. Nicer unit and much easier to put an extended run tank on. The Yamaha uses a gravity feed carb, which makes it easier to start, but extended run tanks require modification to the generator's fuel venting system in order to use an extended run tank. The Honda only needs a fuel cap.
Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
with Chloe, Belle, & Danke
2017 GD Imagine 2800BH
2017 53 days camping
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Classic 4x4 LBZ Duramax Diesel
Honda 2000sThe Bayou Bounty Hunters Cowboy Club
The Single Action Shooting Society

ctilsie242
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been happy with my 3000 watt Yamaha iSE (model with no battery boost, but electric start -- it has been discontinued, but shares parts with the other Yammy models). If you buy a SEB model, the 500 watts from the battery are enough to help with the locked rotor amps from almost all 13k BTU units, and a good number of 15k BTU units.

My Yamaha (knock on wood) has been running quite well, for over 3000 hours, with oil changes and other basic maintenance.

You can go with Honda twins, and I've compared my setup to what others use, and one can go either way. I like having a bigger generator because it actually is quieter than the Hondas when unloaded, as well as when handling the A/C and so on.

As for a Yamaha or Honda model, I might even make a recommendation different from the pack: A Yamaha EF4500iSE ($3059.19) or a Honda EU7000i ($4499.95) model. Yes, you will be paying 50% to 150% more, but you will be getting an inverter model that has the headroom to laugh at the incoming impulse current from the A/C, as opposed to bogging down, and undervolting the A/C's compressor. Plus, the bigger generator has the option of remote start as well.