cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hot water heater not burning right

2006cummins
Explorer
Explorer
When I light my hot water heater it stays orange and does not get the blue flame that it should, Any idea on the cause and how to diagnose this? RV places charge an arm and a leg here so I hope I can do it myself. Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

SteveB
Explorer
Explorer
This thread is a couple of months old but I figured I'd chime in. I had a problem with my Atwood water heater on our Memorial weekend trip. I noticed a whole lot of soot coating the vent and fridge panel above it. The heater had been running for only a few minutes. The flame was lazy, yellow and was visible up to the exhaust side. With guidance from the manual I pulled the burner tube to fine a spider nest flapping inside. I had purchased a small bottle brush in preparation for the job and that did the trick. At first (or second) I thought there was an issue with the propane but there was no change after switching to the new tank so I proceeded to clean the burner tube. Oddly I could not find any posts on RV.net that addressed soot and weak flame from a water heater.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD Auto 4X4 CC Dually, Reese 20K
SOLD 8/2015 '01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD HO 6sp, Reese 15K Pro w/ Kwik Slide, Prodigy

'04 Jayco Jayflight 28.5RKS

MPD56
Explorer
Explorer
Two Months later, sorry LOL.
Glad it worked out.Thanks for the update.
Most folks don't notice it, if it still heats the water. I see it all the time, if you read the small print, it says "May Contain Propane" LOL.

2006cummins
Explorer
Explorer
It was bad fuel. I hooked up another tank and it worked fine. I'm going to take it back to where I got it filled. I had never heard of a bad propane fill, thanks for the heads up.

MPD56
Explorer
Explorer
I would say that if the flame is all orange, there are contaminants in the air or fuel.
That said, there may be a slight orange or red tint in a normal flame usually in the form of streaks. This is caused by dust particles in the air and cannot be eliminated if the air quality doesnโ€™t change. It does not denote any sign of insufficient air supply.

Folks assume that a tank of propane has pure propane in it, but usually it will have small amounts of some other gases that shouldnโ€™t be a problem getting a good flame 99% of the time. Also, letโ€™s assume that you just changed the tank? A tank that wasnโ€™t purged properly could still have contaminants in it that can affect the colour of the flame.

So is it the fuel or air? If it was the fuel, the stove top burner would have an orange flame when the gas from the new tank reaches the burner. If it was the air I would assume that I would notice dust in the air, but maybe not? Could even be CO gas in the air from a vehicle near by running. You donโ€™t mention that this heater is in a motor home? It will also help the members if you let us know the make and model of the HWT.

Good Luck

2006cummins
Explorer
Explorer
I watched videos online and no matter how I slide piece to give more or less air it never turns blue. I took it apart and and made sure there was nothing blocking any of the tubes and it is fine. Any other ideas? The RV places here are so expensive I really hope I can fix it myself.

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
Usually if it was burning right previously, it is just a spider web (or nest) in the mixing tube.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Common problem. (If I explaned it with my writing you'd be more messed up) Go to youtube and do a search on rv hot water or tune up hot water heater or similar. They go thru step by step. You need nothing more than a good cleaning and air adjustment tube needs adjusted. Then after you get this fixed, do it every year to keep in adjustment and prolong life of heater. Takes about 10 min after you get the swing of it.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
After making sure the burner tube is clean there is a slide adjustment on the burner tube it is held by a small screw loosen this screw and slide the adjustment sleeve one way or the other till you get a blue flame with just a small yellow tip.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of air blasts to the burner area from my compressor fixes mine right up.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Clean the burner area, spiders often cause problems in LP appliances.