cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hot water tank plug never seen one like this

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a new to us travel trailer with an Atwood hot water heater.
Instead of the normal nylon drain plug they have a galvanized square plug on it
For the life of me I can't get it off it seems to be rusted on and tough to get a grip with channel locks any ideas.
29 REPLIES 29

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
Do not people have access to open end wrenches any more? Why would one want to use a socket that only contacts a square nut at the four corner points? (BTW, that suggests using a socket with a number of points devisable by four... eg NOT six...)

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Well if you're going to go for it, I would use the 8 point like others said but on an impact on a low setting. The Tat...tat..tat may break the bond. A breaker bar I'm thinking will just pull the threads out of the soft metal.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
I would leave it and save for a new tank.

X2 if you need to drain the tank, you may have an electric element on the back side if you have gas/electric model which can be unthreaded.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I would leave it and save for a new tank.
-- Chris Bryant

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Terribly corroded due to electrolysis. I would freeze the plug with Freon, then try rocking the plug back & forth till it breaks free. Good luck, hope you do not lose the aluminum threads and require a new tank.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

cmeade
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on the eight point socket but use an 18" breaker bar to control your leverage and save your skin and blood for another project.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
8 point socket or square socket should be used on a square plug.

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
yeah, before I tried twisting that thing Id drill it out and at least wack the sides inwards a few thousands might be the difference of having or not having threads when you unscrew it.
2017 Cougar
2015 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Cummins Aisin transmission

thecdnmole
Explorer
Explorer
Drill out the center with as large a bit as you dare, then a punch or chisel out the sides with the threads, should fold down onto itself.
2002 Titanium 29E35RL 5th, adopted Summer 2015
2015 Ram 2500, CC, SB, diesel, 9900 lb GVW

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
My aluminium tank had galvanized plug as well, but with teflon tape it come off easy.
Some of those squares are in 3/8 or 1/2" size, meaning ratchet extensions might fit over and than having better grip on other end you can use good crescent wrench.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
You need an 8 point socket.

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
I tried everything 12point sockets slip I haven't tried the heat I'll do that next

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Someone put in the wrong plug..

Aluminum and steel, not the best of friends add water and you get electrolysis.

A brass plug would have been a better choice.

Since it has a square head, you can use a socket, but the trick is only one of the socket styles will fit.. You can try a 6 point or 12 point, I can't remember which one will work, but one of them will fit.

Then you can use an ratchet with an extension that is long enough to get the ratchet outside the tank.

You will need to take it slowly when removing the plug, there will most likely be a lot of rust in the plug threads inside the tank.

Turn the plug less than a 1/4 turn out, then reverse to tighten the plug then reverse to remove and take slightly past the 1/4 turn point. By reversing you allow any build up inside to clean off the plug threads which were exposed to the water.

Don't force it, if it tightens up reverse and the direction , you may need to repeat this a few times.

If you force the plug out you risk damaging the softer threads in the aluminum tank..

Once out, go buy a proper plastic nylon plug, they are dirt cheap at about $2 for a package of 2.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Channel locks may be the problem, try a small pipe wrench. I don't think channel locks are very efficient at transmitting torque. You may also want to soak the plug threads with some sort of thread loosening spray, pipe blaster or some such.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
More than likely that t has bonded together you will probably destroy the threads .might try heating the/area around the plug up and hitting the plug with cold