cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I'll never do that again

js6343js6343
Explorer
Explorer
After 4 years of RVing, and just when I think I am getting the hang of it, another lesson is learned the hard way.

I am in the process of putting the TT away for the winter. So I am pulling the anode rod to drain the water heater. I disconnect the city water hose to releive pressure and proceed to unscrew the anode. Suddenly, the anode rod launches out of the WH under pressure and a sustained blast of water crashes into my face. If my sons had seen it, I would be the deserving recepient of a lifetime of ridicule. Lucky I did not have the water heater turned on. Or the embarrasment could have turned more serious.

So removing the city water hose DOES NOT releive pressure. You have to open the faucets inside the rig. But I guess all of you already knew that. I guess I did too. But it is so easy to forget even important steps on these rigs. This is one step I will not forget again. File under "stupid"
2011 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS
2004 Suburban 2500 8.1L 4.10
Reese dual cam WDH
Tekonsha Prodigy 2
28 REPLIES 28

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
Apparently I'm a slow learner because I can remember doing the same at least twice, maybe three times over the years.
:B

We always do these mistakes at least twice to make sure we got it right. :B
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Apparently I'm a slow learner because I can remember doing the same at least twice, maybe three times over the years. :B
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
When I did it, the anode rod only went a few feet. I remember thinking that it was a good thing my face wasn't there to catch it.
I relieve pressure in the lines with the low-point drain before I disconnect the city hose and to purge air so the water heater (I don't need a hot water heater) can fill. My LPD is easily accessible and I don't get wet or have to climb in the camper to turn faucets on and off.
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
js6343js6343 wrote:
After 4 years of RVing, and just when I think I am getting the hang of it, another lesson is learned the hard way.

I am in the process of putting the TT away for the winter. So I am pulling the anode rod to drain the water heater. I disconnect the city water hose to releive pressure and proceed to unscrew the anode. Suddenly, the anode rod launches out of the WH under pressure and a sustained blast of water crashes into my face. If my sons had seen it, I would be the deserving recepient of a lifetime of ridicule. Lucky I did not have the water heater turned on. Or the embarrasment could have turned more serious.

So removing the city water hose DOES NOT releive pressure. You have to open the faucets inside the rig. But I guess all of you already knew that. I guess I did too. But it is so easy to forget even important steps on these rigs. This is one step I will not forget again. File under "stupid"

Well it took 5 years but I finally got to read about someone else that did the same thing I did!

I waited until the last minute to winterize my MH. Sitting watching TV one night and news of a blizzard and freezing temps had me running out side to winterize the MH! The sleet had already started.

In my haste I too forgot to relieve the pressure in the lines and when I went to take the HWH plug out after a couple of turns it shot out at my head like a rocket! Blew my glasses clean off my face. I was lucky I didn't loose an eye. :R

Whew! It sure is nice to know that I am not the only one that could allow that to happen!!:B:B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
monkey44 wrote:
This thread sounds odd to me, I've had two campers, both had pressure releases at top on tank, and both had WH drain plugs at the bottom of the tank, and it drains out empty in about two or three minutes. Open HW faucet when draining.

When I fill it, I open the hot faucet in the sink until water flows out without popping or hissing ... then we know it's full and no air pocket.

Due to design of WH tank....

PRV is 'near' top of tank and when filling an 'air pocket' is established. Without the 'air pocket' the heated water will over pressurize and cause PRV to weep. (Water swells when heated..air pocket allows for that expansion)

OP.....
Reason system doesn't de-pressurize when you disconnected city water hose is due to check valves in system.
One inside that city water connection (so water doesn't flow out connection when using pump) and one inside pump (so water doesn't flow backwards thru pump when on city water)

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
PortWentworthSam wrote:
That's nuttin. Wait till ya plug your motorhome into a 220V outlet and watch your A/C unit pour smoke. Then enter your coach after you rip the power cord out of the plug and see that you fried every appliance, TV's, Fridge, sound system, inverter and the list went on. Total damage over $8,000.00. I sure could have used that blast of water from the water heater to cool my temper that day. Oh, the water heater fried as well.

We all screw up. That's what makes RV'ing so much fun.

Finally. Somebody who really admits his worst mistake.

I've made some mistakes, such as leaving the tv antenna up, but too embarrassed to admit the worst.

PortWentworthSa
Explorer
Explorer
That's nuttin. Wait till ya plug your motorhome into a 220V outlet and watch your A/C unit pour smoke. Then enter your coach after you rip the power cord out of the plug and see that you fried every appliance, TV's, Fridge, sound system, inverter and the list went on. Total damage over $8,000.00. I sure could have used that blast of water from the water heater to cool my temper that day. Oh, the water heater fried as well.

We all screw up. That's what makes RV'ing so much fun.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
What? you've only done it once. some of us have done it several times. stupid is stupid does. oops, told on my self

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
All I can say is been there, done that. We all live and learn, hopefully.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
This thread sounds odd to me, I've had two campers, both had pressure releases at top on tank, and both had WH drain plugs at the bottom of the tank, and it drains out empty in about two or three minutes. Open HW faucet when draining.

When I fill it, I open the hot faucet in the sink until water flows out without popping or hissing ... then we know it's full and no air pocket.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
NAH! Got it topped! I was trying to replace the gas valve in an Atwood. The thing wouldn't turn so I thought I'd heat it with my propane torch. And that having a little water in the tank would protect all but the area I was heating around the stem of the valve. After awhile, valve still stuck, I notice the plastic drain plug is dripping. I loosen the plug...BOOM...GUSH...Steaming Hot Water...Soaked but Not Burned...Water Cut Trench in Grass...Never found Plug...
After I calmed down and IT cooled down, heated again, same spot, but with plug out so no water to absorb the torch heat. Valve came right out.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Honest people publicly detail their most embarrassing mistake.

In this case I will be dishonest and remain silent.

Get the picture? Hope this made you smile...

Heap64
Explorer
Explorer
8/14 and you are putting away for the winter? We are just getting to my favorite time of the year to camp the fall.

Take care,
James & Kim from Central Illinois
2012 Ford F250 XLT CC SB 4x4 6.7, ARE Topper and Decked Draw System
2013 Arctic Fox 25Y (1250lb tongue weight with mods)
Blue Ox Sway Pro 1500 w/Reese Titan Weight Dist Shank

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you are in the plumbing trades, or have done a hot water heater R&R or two at home, you won't see this little gem flying your way. Always a new adventure when you own a big new toy with a bunch of different systems on it. 1st time can be a doozy.