cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ideas for lifting AC unit to the top of a RV

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
I do not have two strong young people around to lift a replacement AC unit to the top of our RV. The roof is about 11' off the ground and the AC weighs 110lbs.

I do have a 6' high scaffolding to cut the height in half, but pretty sure two 70 year old guys (me and a buddy) could not "press" the 110 pounds 6' at a time.

I need your ideas of how to accomplish this task.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC
41 REPLIES 41

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I helped a neighbor at a campground in Florida do the A/C "ladder slide" trick last spring. I pulled while he guided and pushed. Took us about 10 minutes to get it on the roof and another 10 or so to take off the shipping hardware and set it in place. I'm 72 and he was 69 at the time, and we weren't even breathing hard. ๐Ÿ™‚
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I bet if you stopped by your local Home Depot, they'll put it up there with no complaints....Just don't go in the middle of the day when they're really busy. Slide it on a bunk of lumber, up it goes, slide it off...boom! you're done. Never hurts to ask....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Sluggo54
Explorer
Explorer
mayo30 wrote:
I too wondered about getting it up and the other down.Went to local lumber yard to inquire about a rental of some sort,the manager heard my question and turned and asked his yard man to stop with a buddy to put it on the roof after work on the way home.They showed up and walked it up the ladder,were going to haul the defective one down,but I told them to just throw it off the roof,which they did.Came down refused $50.00 and took enough for a box of beer.end of story 20 mins.Uncrated with shroud off it weighed 89 lbs.

Tell us who and where? Nice guys deserve a pat on the back.
DH = Bruce, DW = PK, DD = Maggie (Lab, Pointer, Viszla)RIP 4/13/2007
Apprentice Princess = Kaia Grace (Kelpie, RIP 8/4/2016) DD = Zoey, Carolina Dog
TV = 2005 Chev CC LWB Max & Allie SOLD
5'er = 2005 Excel R30CKW DEAL PENDING

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
fpresto wrote:
I am 68 years old and not in great shape and I just added a 2nd air conditioner. I had no difficulty pulling it up a sloped extension ladder (still in the box). I attached a rope and pulled it up while my wife stabilized it. It was not difficult. Don't overthink it.

That's how I did it. Bought a used AC (no box) and dragged it up a ladder with a thick mover's shipping pad under it. No help needed, just patience and perseverance.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Aren't you supposed to pull the ropes over the top and tie them on the wife's car bumper? No wait, that was the guy trying to climb his roof. ๐Ÿ˜‰
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
I am 68 years old and not in great shape and I just added a 2nd air conditioner. I had no difficulty pulling it up a sloped extension ladder (still in the box). I attached a rope and pulled it up while my wife stabilized it. It was not difficult. Don't overthink it.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Having watched RV mobile techs do this multiple times, their system must work. A 20' extension ladder, 2 ropes, to the roof and the AC left bolted to the platform it come in. Drag it up the ladder to the roof, uncrate the AC and throw the crate to the ground. You need help setting it, so there are going to be 2 or 3 people around to do the job. Last one I watched was 2 OLD geezers and they had it on the roof and ready to install within 20 minutes.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Search for "rv prepper wayne" on youtube. he replaced his old AC with a newer used one. He used an extension ladder and pushed it up the ladder while climbing the ladder. Would be easier if you had one on top pulling while the other is pushing and guiding.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
I too wondered about getting it up and the other down.Went to local lumber yard to inquire about a rental of some sort,the manager heard my question and turned and asked his yard man to stop with a buddy to put it on the roof after work on the way home.They showed up and walked it up the ladder,were going to haul the defective one down,but I told them to just throw it off the roof,which they did.Came down refused $50.00 and took enough for a box of beer.end of story 20 mins.Uncrated with shroud off it weighed 89 lbs.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a case of beer. Put in car. Drive around town, look for strong back that would enjoy case of beer.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the link to the Material Lift machine solution.

http://www6.homedepot.com/tool-truck-rental/450LB_Material_Lift_12/2412/index.html
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

MrWizard
MFL wrote:
Slide it up an extension ladder, one fellow pushing, the other on top, pulling with a rope.

Jerry

this is what i did last time

but i was about 8yrs younger, not quite 60
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
A tree and a block and tackle or a come a long.
I need some wild

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
admit this no job for us 70,year old guys , I know we can do it better than those 25yr old kids, but we gotta let them learn, lift time,, a nice supper for your help, and the doc,s bill . cheaper to let the kids do it.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
deandec wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Bite the bullet and pay to have it done. Not worth getting hurt over few bucks.

Probably the best suggestion, but where is the fun in that? :B

The fun is. Being able to walk into the RV, and turn on the AC instead of waiting until DW comes to visit at the hospital to ask her how it's doing. :B
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers