cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter and Shore Power ??

SPRING_STREET
Explorer
Explorer
If the RV is plugged into shore power does it make any difference if the inverter stays on or not? Will it harm anything if the inverter switch is left on ?? thanks
2011 MOUNTAIN AIRE 4344, FMCA F334596, Cummins Power Play,Good Sams and KOA member..TOAD 2017 Ford Edge Titanium with a 6 cylinder Engine, License plate "TOWED" > RoadMaster Night Hawk Tow Bar and Base Plates. ๐Ÿ˜‰
17 REPLIES 17

GBaxter
Explorer
Explorer
Chris is right leaving the inverter ON (Xantrex, Magnum etc.) is really just ENABLED. While plugged into shore or running the generator the ac power is "passing through" the inverter which means it simply comes in on the input and passes directly to the output. It is not filtered or manipulated in any way so leaving it ENABLED only leaves it ready to start inverting if ac input power is lost.

So to answer the original question you can leave the inverter ON/ENABLED all the time it won't make difference as far as longevity to the components.

Gary

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
There is NO benefit in running a device that you don't need. None, zero.

I disagree- I'm not sure about the Magnum, but Xantrex models switch over as fast as a UPS, so by leaving the inverter enabled, what ever is power through it will have an uninterrupted power supply.
Note that leaving it "on" is really just leaving it enabled, as it is not doing anything when supplied with shore power.
-- Chris Bryant

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
Well since it is winter here at home in Minnesota (Temperature of -10F), and I am retired, and getting "cabin fever", I have a nerdy question to ask.

Converters convert 120v, ac, to 12v, dc.

Inverters convert 12v, dc, to 120v, ac. They also draw some over-head current from the battery(s) if left turned "ON" or in standby.

So; "Why would anyone using an RV ever want to leave the Inverter turned on? :h I am not counting specialized equipment used in industry.

I realize that many posters are confused because of Manufactures habit of muddying the waters quirky naming of their products.

Such as:

Generators sometimes called inverter/generators
Converter/chargers being called inverter/chargers (you still need a converter)
Are some Class B's really a Class B or a C?
Old antennas for any signal now sometimes called "HD"

I guess without all the confusion there would not be much hash over in the winter months. :B
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
SPRING STREET wrote:
Y...was wondering if i needed to leave the inverter on when i am on shore power, or if it would be of any benefit it it was left on.

Dave: what Gbaxter said. On when you need it, off when you don't. There is NO benefit in running a device that you don't need. None, zero.

SPRING_STREET
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
BFL13 wrote:
IMO the OP meant "converter"

๐Ÿ™‚
Yeah... God knows what they meant indeed... There's quite a difference between converter and inverter, isn't it...

Inverter !!
2011 MOUNTAIN AIRE 4344, FMCA F334596, Cummins Power Play,Good Sams and KOA member..TOAD 2017 Ford Edge Titanium with a 6 cylinder Engine, License plate "TOWED" > RoadMaster Night Hawk Tow Bar and Base Plates. ๐Ÿ˜‰

SPRING_STREET
Explorer
Explorer
Yes GBaxter you are correct. I was talking about the inverter. I have the Magnum Energy System on my RV which has the Charge and the inverter on the same panel. I always leave the charger on but was wondering if i needed to leave the inverter on when i am on shore power, or if it would be of any benefit it it was left on.. Usually the only time I turn it off is if I am dry camping and leave the coach for a long time to save on battery drain. . I do have it set so the genny will turn on automatically if the amps drop below a certain point !! Being that the RV is winterized and hooked to shore power my question was leave the inverter on or off ?? or does it make a difference. Thanks for the responses! Dave

GBaxter
Explorer
Explorer
The OP shows a 2005 Mountain Air which did come with an inverter/charger so I believe the question is about the inverter portion.

As mentioned already in previous posts you can leave the inverter on all the time if you want but realize if shore power goes off it will switch to using batteries. I would leave it ON all the time if I had a residential refer otherwise use it like a light switch, on when you need it off when you don't to save battery power.

If the question is about the charger you can leave that on all the time also it should not overcharge the batteries even in storage.

Gary

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
BFL13 wrote:
IMO the OP meant "converter"

๐Ÿ™‚
Yeah... God knows what they meant indeed... There's quite a difference between converter and inverter, isn't it...

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
There are some inverters which are made to actively be in the main power circuit at all times, and function similar to an online UPS. Victron and Magnum Energy make them. The nice thing about these is that if there is a power blackout or brownout, the inverter will make up power from the batteries, so nothing that it is feeding would notice the glitches.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, it depends on WHAT inverter (or is it an inverter/charger) you have AND how it has been programmed.

Please tell us what you have.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMO the OP meant "converter" and it has been confusion ever since.

Yes you can leave the converter on, that's the whole idea.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have two "EMERGENCY POWER" zones in my OFF-ROAD POPUP that is fed by my 600WATT PSW INVERTER direct connected to my battery bank. This is "ON" 24/7 even when connected to shore power. My on-board smart mode converter/charger continues to keep my battery bank charged when on shore power. When camping off the power grid I have my shore power cable plugged into my portable 2KW Generator to re-charge my batteries when needed.

I have my emergency must have items turned "on" plugged into these two zones all the time. Our Home entertainment items are also plugged into one of these emergency power zones...

Being a PURE SINE WAVE INVERTER we don't have to worry about what is plugged into these two zones for fear of going up in BLUE SMOKE...

Kinda neat to always have 120VAC power available to use at all locations.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Perdy simple,
Most of todays converters DO fully charge the batteries.
If you need to conserve battery power off grid, turn it off
If you on grid leave it on, if you want to.
I don't know of any electronic device ever made that cannot be left on.
But some do have a limited duty cycle while operating, such as many water pumps
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends on the inverter and what you mean by ON.

For example.. In my RV I have a Xantrex Prosine 2.0, This is a inverter/charger with pass through, the specs say it is a very good 3 stage + charger (Alas that module has an issue so i do not often use it)

It has 3 on/off switches with the option of a 4th.

The main On/Off/Remote (4th swtich) must be in either ON or REMOTE (and if you have a remote it has to be on) or the thing will NOT charge the battery or pass power.

The "inverter enable/disable" can be in either position if you have shore power as can the Charger enable/disable if you have another converter online as I do (Progressive Dynamics 9180 with wizard.. I like it better even if the prosine did not have an "issue").

I hope this answers your question.. NOTE: the main on/off/remote is on the inverter itself, the other two I mentioned are on the remote panel inside the living space.

Different models work differently.. (or not, depending on the model) but if it is a pass through type.. I would leave it on.

WHY:

Well... I am parked on a 30 amp site.. I have enough battery that even if I am using electricity to cook dinner (Microwae, toaster oven size large, steamer) I have time to get dressed, Turn off the water heater, go out and RESET the breaker without loosing power to the television, or computers.

It makes one Darn Fine UPS.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times