cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Light switch

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
Quick question can you put a switch inline on positive side or negative side or dose it need to be on one or the other? I was able to track white (-) wire and want to put a switch inline on it for the bedroom lights.
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog
12 REPLIES 12

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can put a light switch on either side. HOWEVER for safety's sake the Positive side or rather the "HOT" side is recommended. But it will work the same no matter where you put it.

Why safety

Well if you put it in the "Ground" or Neutral side (negative) then the fixture is HOT even when the light is off. On 12 volt.. not generally a problem

But.. On 120 volt,, If the bulb breaks and you tough the wires inside the last thing you do in this life may be regret where you put the switch.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The poster stated Positive and Negative
DC circuitry is implied.

Installing switch on entry circuit then having over-current fault before the load causes a protective breaker or fuse to react. After the load an unintended short to ground is without significance performance wise

With switch in negative side, overcurrent before the load causes the protective circuit to enable. Short to ground AFTER the load causes a completion of circuit LOAD STAYS ON.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Either, but keep in mind that other things may share the same ground.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
Hello starcraft69.

Did you complete this mod yet? I want tot do the same thing and was wondering how it came out and any advice you may have.
2017.. Prime Time Avenger. 32QBI

His.. 2011 F-350, King Ranch, 6.2L. Crew Cab, 4x4, 8' bed, SRW, 11,000 GVWR

Hers..2008 Ford Expedition, King Ranch Heavy Duty Tow, 3.73 gears

Sold.. 2005 Star craft, Travel Star 18SB

Sold.. 2013 Keystone Laredo, 291

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to everyone! I was pretty sure i could but wanted to confirm. My lights have switch on them but i want to put switch on the wall as you inter the bedroom. To turn on main bedroom lights. Once again thanks
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your lights don't already have a switch?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
On 120VAC, I'd do the positive side to protect boneheads like me that assume that a light fixture that is turn off is not carrying current.

Ummmm, there is no "positive side" in a 120 vac circuit, just hot & neutral, and of course ground. In such a circuit one would always switch the hot.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

SuperDutyFiver
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of automotive design switches the negative-you can definitely do it either way-I think we all lean towards switching the positive out of habit...
36' Carriage Carri-Lite 35rl3
PSD 4x4 Custom Tow Vehicle-the 550
PSD 4X4 2017 CC short box
PSD 4x4 SUV-the X

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Electrically it does the same thing. Not really an issue with 12 volts.
By convention all switches and fuses are on the positive side so I recommend staying with that.

It is not uncommon to find a switch that completes a circuit on the ground side in automotive applications. Many door switches as well as fan speed switches work that way.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
On 120VAC, I'd do the positive side to protect boneheads like me that assume that a light fixture that is turn off is not carrying current.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Electrically it does the same thing. Not really an issue with 12 volts.
By convention all switches and fuses are on the positive side so I recommend staying with that.

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
If you put the switch in series (one wire) then both switches must be "on" to turn on the light. If you put the switch in parallel (both wires) then either/or can control the light.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad