cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Low propane indicator?

Davidlee64
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 propane tanks with an auto switching regulator. The regulator does exactly what it is designed to do. The only bad part is I don't know when it switches unless I go outside and check it daily. That could be risky when it's cold outside as I wouldn't know how long it had been on the backup tank. The other day I switched it over, didn't have a spare tank, and ran out before I could get tanks filled. What I need is some sort of gauge or indicator that I can wire up to something inside the RV that I can glance at. The only other option at the moment is to leave #2 tank turned off until needed. Then replace empty, and have at standby. The bad thing would be the furnace quitting from lack of propane at 3 am and 35 degrees outside. Anyone have any suggestions?
48 REPLIES 48

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
"Not sure I'd like to see what instrumentation you'd want on your Shot gun while skeet shooting."

It's called a front bead.

I just hate being surprised. You should check out the Boy Scouts' motto.

No need for a 'Be Prepared" admonition.

On each of my Arctic Exploration trips I brought along a Submarine.

Dog sleds? Humbug. :B

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Not sure I'd like to see what instrumentation you'd want on your Shot gun while skeet shooting."

It's called a front bead.

I just hate being surprised. You should check out the Boy Scouts' motto.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
...That might work as long as the running time is consistent over the days. Suppose you run 2 days, it warms up and you don't run for 2 days, then you have to run 3 days. Or it's warm enough that it only comes on infrequently, then cools down and it runs alot. How are you supposed to get a reliable estimate of how long it will last? Seems to me a way to measure what's in there is much better than a WAG.

Spoken like a man that never owned a 1950 Ford with no operating Gas Gage.

Not sure I'd like to see what instrumentation you'd want on your Shot gun while skeet shooting. ๐Ÿ˜‰

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I am more prone to just deal with reality. Check the valve every day during heavy use. Swap as needed. Call for refill assistance when two cylinders are empty. I guess it would help to tell the person the deadline when propane would fully run out. If assistance gets delayed I would just get more cylinders. If the lift/swap is super difficult I would get extended pigtails and let the cylinders sit on the ground.

Warm breezes will be here soon ๐Ÿ™‚

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
SaltiDawg wrote:
Davidlee64 wrote:

I ended up turning off one tank as it had not started drawing from it yet. And as it worked out, the "in use" tank ran out around midnite. I went out and flipped the regulator lever over, and turned the full tank on. I waited til the net morning to change the empty tank. But I did get a good idea of tank life expectancy. I will keep track of the next tank when it runs out. Then I will get a closer idea of how long they last. I can base refilling empties with that info.

After three pages with this thread, the solution is to try to get a handle as to how long it takes to run out and swap bottles before that happens? :S
That might work as long as the running time is consistent over the days. Suppose you run 2 days, it warms up and you don't run for 2 days, then you have to run 3 days. Or it's warm enough that it only comes on infrequently, then cools down and it runs alot. How are you supposed to get a reliable estimate of how long it will last? Seems to me a way to measure what's in there is much better than a WAG.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
Davidlee64 wrote:

I ended up turning off one tank as it had not started drawing from it yet. And as it worked out, the "in use" tank ran out around midnite. I went out and flipped the regulator lever over, and turned the full tank on. I waited til the net morning to change the empty tank. But I did get a good idea of tank life expectancy. I will keep track of the next tank when it runs out. Then I will get a closer idea of how long they last. I can base refilling empties with that info.

After three pages with this thread, the solution is to try to get a handle as to how long it takes to run out and swap bottles before that happens? :S

Davidlee64
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Harvey51 wrote:
It just takes a couple of minutes to weigh the bottle with a suitcase scale and get an accurate weight for the propane remaining.
Amazon
With the way my bottles are secured in the compartment, it takes more than a couple of minutes simply to get them loose to weigh. And it's a very short compartment and you'd have to lift around 50 pounds with an extended arm in a very awkward position. Not too handy.

Which is why I got the Dometic Gas Checker.

I saw this item, and another similar device. It would be quite handy to have one. I can use a magic marker to draw a line at approximately full and empty. That will give me a reference when I am checking the tanks. Thanks.

Davidlee64
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Davidlee64 wrote:
I have 4 30# cylinders. 2 in my 5th wheel, and 2 full on standby. I have a Marshall MEGR-253 regulator that I replaced a couple of months ago with new. At the moment, I decided to turn one cylinder off. This way I will know when it runs out, and it will be a matter of turning the full tank on, and replacing the empty one with a full one. I am trying to keep track of how long each tank lasts. I started a chart for this purpose. I have thought about putting a scale in each compartment for the tank to sit on, and wire the display to a long wire and mount inside where I can see it. The weight should keep me informed of the tank status.
That will work fine as long as you are willing to risk running out at night.
I think you will get bored with it and just check every morning and replace upon seeing the indicator.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Harvey51 wrote:
It just takes a couple of minutes to weigh the bottle with a suitcase scale and get an accurate weight for the propane remaining.
Amazon
With the way my bottles are secured in the compartment, it takes more than a couple of minutes simply to get them loose to weigh. And it's a very short compartment and you'd have to lift around 50 pounds with an extended arm in a very awkward position. Not too handy.

Which is why I got the Dometic Gas Checker.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Davidlee64 wrote:
I have 4 30# cylinders. 2 in my 5th wheel, and 2 full on standby. I have a Marshall MEGR-253 regulator that I replaced a couple of months ago with new. At the moment, I decided to turn one cylinder off. This way I will know when it runs out, and it will be a matter of turning the full tank on, and replacing the empty one with a full one. I am trying to keep track of how long each tank lasts. I started a chart for this purpose. I have thought about putting a scale in each compartment for the tank to sit on, and wire the display to a long wire and mount inside where I can see it. The weight should keep me informed of the tank status.
That will work fine as long as you are willing to risk running out at night.
I think you will get bored with it and just check every morning and replace upon seeing the indicator.

Davidlee64
Explorer
Explorer
Harvey51 wrote:
Amazon

The problem with these, at least for me, is picking up the weight. I struggle to put a full tank in place. A stroke about 1 1/2 years ago did not help me in least.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Amazon
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Davidlee64
Explorer
Explorer

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:
brulaz wrote:
time2roll wrote:
lp-tank-check-gas-level-kit-monitor

:E

Very nifty.
Do you have experience with this?

I have these on three tanks and my experience has not been good.

I have a tank for my home barbeque that has one with a full tank of propane and a new battery in the sensor that indicates the tank is empty.

They seem to only work part of the time.

I would not recommend plus they are a little pricey.

my experience as well. I got a set for the trailer, hooked them up, seemed to be a really good idea. Bought more sensors for BBQ etc.

Then after a few months, they started acting erratic. have had several fail. not sure if it was moisture, even though they were protected from rain or what. But just seem to randomly quite.

Luckily on the trailer I also have the marshall changeover indicator in the trailer so I know when tanks switch.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Davidlee64 wrote:
The bad thing would be the furnace quitting from lack of propane at 3 am and 35 degrees outside. Anyone have any suggestions?

valhalla360 wrote:
Heck of a lot nicer spending 30 seconds switching over at 3am and the furnace is back up and running as opposed to finding out both are empty at 3am and you have to get dressed, pull the tank, drive around town, only to find there is no source in the middle of the night.

Agree. I run my tanks sequentially and just switch over manually when required. The only difficulty was not being able to see the regulator without removing the tank cover so I cut out a small rectangular hole and covered it over with clear plastic. MUCH better than inadvertently running both tanks dry. K.I.S.S. :B
I also agree. I do it manually, then I KNOW FOR SURE what my propane status is. Keeping a 3rd cylinder available isn't a bad idea either.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE