cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My stupid Question of the day

rugermark2
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a new 5th wheel and I was reading through my owners manual, and it said that my trailer either has the Dexter Ez lube axles or the AL-KO Axis Safe-T-Lube axles. How do I tell which one I have? The materials I got from the dealer doesn't have any information about what's actually on my trailer. The maintenance is different between the 2 axles from what I read on line. The Ez lube you inspect and repack every 12 months or 12,000 miles, AL-KO you inspect every 6 months or 6,000 miles. Any help would be appreciated.
2011 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins
2015 Cougar 29RLI
21 REPLIES 21

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is the problem inspecting every six months is good practie and works for either brand.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
It doesn't matter about the brand. They both are just grease fittings. Do whatever you are comfortable with. Personally I don't use the stupid things.

Most people with enough experience with them don't.

Sorry, have to disagree with the word "most."

Some, certainly.

Some of us have had some good luck with EZ Lube.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

rugermark2
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
FWIW, I think the 6 month thing on the Alko is a misprint. The Alko manual suggests yearly.

Note: Even with the Safe-T-Lube Feature, periodic inspection and repacking must be done every 6 months or 6,000 miles. Do
not pack hub full of grease. Excessive grease may leak into brake drums causing brake failures.

This note is out of the owners manual. Maybe I am looking at the wrong one?
2011 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins
2015 Cougar 29RLI

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Lynnmor wrote:
It doesn't matter about the brand. They both are just grease fittings. Do whatever you are comfortable with. Personally I don't use the stupid things.

Most people with enough experience with them don't.

FWIW, I think the 6 month thing on the Alko is a misprint. The Alko manual suggests yearly.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer

westend
Explorer
Explorer
There should be a label or stamp on the axle tube. It is usually located toward the center of the axle.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
No stupid questions here. That's what the forum is for.

There should a brand sticker or plate on the axles. Just crawl under and look.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)