cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Norcold Refrigerator too cold

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
While getting our now three year old camper ready this season, I turned on the refrigerator (using electricity) for 48 hours to make sure everything was working right. This year, I noticed some frost building up on the fins. So I put a thermometer in it and a bowl of water and waited 24 hours. The temp was 20 degrees and the water was frozen. So I did some research and most of what I read from others with the same problem, indicated that it might be the thermister/thermostat that had gone bad and they solved their problem by buying a "Snip the Tip" adjustable thermister. I did that, installed it following the instructions and now my refrigerator's temp is 25 degrees at the cool setting and 22 degrees at the coldest setting. That's not much difference between the coolest and the coldest settings. Either setting is still freezing our food. Does anyone know What else can I check or replace to try and fix my problem? Thank you in advance for your replies.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
15 REPLIES 15

jetcare
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
jetcare wrote:
The Norcold model N611 "V" was sold just in last few years only.

Is the V the tell that will let you know it is a Auto temp? Doug

That is correct.
2016 F-250 Crewcab 6.2L 4x4
2012 Palomino Sabre 32' Travel Trailer

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
jetcare wrote:

Is the V the tell that will let you know it is a Auto temp? Doug

jetcare
Explorer
Explorer

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
jetcare wrote:
Here is the proper fix. You have a very special Norcold refrigerator that came with "Automatic" temperature control. It did not work. All the food in the lower section would freeze. Norcold will replace the Automatic Front Control Panel with the "Tried and True" older style if you call Norcold Tech. Services. They may ask you to work through a Dealer or Authorized Service Representative. The part and labor will be covered by warranty.

You will need to buy the correct Norcold thermister and get your thermister system back to the original configuration.

Thank You. I have NEVER seen this model Norcold. What years did Norcold sell these things? That explains why the aftermarket snip and clip had a listing for Norcolds. Doug

Mine is in an RV made in Sept.2015. It is a model 811 Norcold with automatic temp control. It was freezing inside so I moved the thermistor 3 fins to the right (per the manual) and all seams ok so far.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
jetcare wrote:
Here is the proper fix. You have a very special Norcold refrigerator that came with "Automatic" temperature control. It did not work. All the food in the lower section would freeze. Norcold will replace the Automatic Front Control Panel with the "Tried and True" older style if you call Norcold Tech. Services. They may ask you to work through a Dealer or Authorized Service Representative. The part and labor will be covered by warranty.

You will need to buy the correct Norcold thermister and get your thermister system back to the original configuration.

Thank You. I have NEVER seen this model Norcold. What years did Norcold sell these things? That explains why the aftermarket snip and clip had a listing for Norcolds. Doug

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Wow- never seen one of those. Interesting! Thanks, Jetcare!
-- Chris Bryant

jetcare
Explorer
Explorer

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
What fin in food compartment is thermistor clipped to?

Standard calls for 10th fin from right......
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
No, there is not any switch or slider. I've looked on the inside of the fridge too. All it has is an on electric/on propane/off button.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
RobWNY wrote:
It's a Norcold N611 unit. There isn't any adjustment knob to make it colder or warmer. Must be the basic Norcold Refrigerator.

Yes, there is. On the front control panel you either have a switch or slider that goes from 1 to 5. Norcold does NOT make auto temp adjust refers. I read the install for the Clip and snip for the Norcold. It is nonsense. The replacement Thermister for Norcolds does NOT have excess wire. It just clips to the 4 wire connector by the interior light. It connects both to the light bulb spades and then to the 4 wire quick connect and you clip the sensor on the evap fin. WHY anybody would use the Clip system on a refer that has an adjustable tstat is beyond me. IMO, the clip system sends an OHM feedback to the rear control board. BUT, since that OHM reading is sent by the NEW Clip sensor, it must then navigate to the rear board that is looking for a specific OHM reading and wants to analyze a signal that is NOT correct. Last, Norcold makes different Thermisters for their various models. You must install the Thermister for your soecific model. LONG shot would be the Wire from the evap area is OPEN between the thermistor and the control board, but I have never seen that in 30 years. Doug

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
It's a Norcold N611 unit. There isn't any adjustment knob to make it colder or warmer. Must be the basic Norcold Refrigerator.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Are you positive the Snip and clip aftermarket Thermister system will work with a Norcold? Remember, your Norcold DOES have a Thermister temp adjustment. The Snip and clip aftermarket replacements are designed for the Dometic Auto temp type refers. So, you have installed an additional adjustable tstat system in conjunction with the existing adjustable tstat system. IMO, that is incompatible. Just go out and purchase the CORRECT Thermister for your Norcold and install as the OEM intended. When I have experienced your type problem, just replacing the Thermister fixes the problem 100 percent of the time(at least 20 times over the years). Also, a defective Thermister will OHM test as good. This is why searching the Internet for a fix, sometimes, does NOT result in a good outcome. Doug

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you j-d. I will give that a shot and see if it fixes the issue.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Should add if connection IS bad and you only snip the tip it'll still over cool till thermistor has a good connection.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB