cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oversized Ice Cube Maker

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I am not looking for a large freezer, just a way to make large (5-10 pound) blocks of ice in a conventional freezer for use in a portable cooler. I have tried half gallon milk jugs but after leaving room for expansion, they only yield about four pounds of ice.
12 REPLIES 12

Paul_D_
Explorer
Explorer
While it doesn't answer your container question, this stuff rocks! Lasts all weekend, I mostly use 2 liter bottles and cranberry juice bottles. Just label them as non potable! It is a powder you add to the water and freeze, makes a gel like those blue reusable ice packs, but lasts a lot longer. Available at on line retailers.

https://koolergel.com/

mnm_2
Explorer
Explorer
we use bottled water and freeze them for the cooler on our beach trips,after they thaw we have drinking water

neilnbe
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried dry ice? Very cold and evaporates so no mess after and not expensive.
Neil, Deb
2 Kids 1 Dog
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire
'11 Ford Edge
Mountain Master Towbrake
Blue Ox Adventa II

MrWizard
large blocks have less surface area,than crushed/cubed ice, add that to the density (negative thermal mass?)

they last longer in a cooler, but they take more time to chill the cooler contents
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
The larger blocks will melt slow and last longer than small blocks. That is they have less cooling effect because cooling only happens when the ice melts.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I just fill a large cooking pot with water and put it in the freezer.

Once frozen, put it in the sink upside down and pour water over the top to free the ice. Makes a large block that will last a long time.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:

You must have an empty unused chest freezer to making big blocks of ice

Not sure where you got that assumption. Two ten pound blocks of ice will only occupy about 1/3 of a cubic foot. (water weighs approximately 62.4 pounds per cubic foot). I don't need dozens of blocks, just one now and then.

MrWizard
So freeze in the bags
To use cut the bag, put the blocks in the cooler

You must have an empty unused chest freezer to making big blocks of ice

I would fill it with ham, beef, and I've cream that on sale
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I will look for some two gallon Ziplock bags. I would really like something like a one gallon, one cube, tray. No bags or jugs to mess with after they are melted.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fill a gallon jug about 90% full. Then just put the entire jug in the cooler.

I've also seen people use a plastic storage container with a lid. They are more of a problem to set level in the freezer. Again, leave expansion room so the lid stays on.

You can also use 2 gallon ziplocs about half full, and stack them in the freezer laying flat. If you fill them you won't get a flat brick of ice, it will be rounded.

If you put several large containers of water in a freezer at once, be aware that it is probably going to take 24-36 hours for them to freeze solid.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
And if the gallon milk jugs split try using ones from Arizona Tea, they are heavier plastic with a better cap.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Then use 1 gallon jugs. A gallon of water weighs about 8.5 pounds
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos