cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane detector going off

BigT
Explorer
Explorer
I have a real head scratcher going on. We got our trailer out of storage today. It's been there since early February with the 12 volt switch off and the propane off. When I turned on the 12 volt power and closed the refrigerator doors I heard a chirp. When I got home 10 minutes later and plugged it in to shore power the propane detector went off with a continuous sound. There is no source of propane (no small portable bottles) that I can think of, and I double checked the LPG tank valves and they are tightly turned off. We opened windows and the door to air it out and the alarm finally silenced itself. Would low voltage on the house battery cause it to go off? The read out said it was 12.6 volts, and that is a little low, but in 10 years of RVing I have never had this happen. Anybody got any ideas?
2012 Hitchhiker Discover America 349 RSB
Bigfoot levelers, Tailgater satellite
2011 Ford F350 PSD, Pullrite Superglide
RDS Toolbox Tank Combo, Garmin GPS & an itch to hit the road
7 REPLIES 7

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Low battery, old detector, dead mouse, rotten garbage, farting dog. Your pick.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
I had that happen last summer and it turned out to be the neighbors trash can out gassing something juicy that you could barely smell but the detector caught it
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Low voltage will make them quirky but do check the date on it.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

BigT
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I think low voltage is the culprit. After being plugged in for a few hours no more chirping and no more alarm going off. I have not checked the Mfg. date, but I will. Thanks again.
2012 Hitchhiker Discover America 349 RSB
Bigfoot levelers, Tailgater satellite
2011 Ford F350 PSD, Pullrite Superglide
RDS Toolbox Tank Combo, Garmin GPS & an itch to hit the road

parker21
Explorer
Explorer
What BB_TX said. Plus I once had a 2011 Sunseeker that had the batteries housed in the first step as you go into the coach. The Propane detector sensed the acid vapors given off by the batteries. Drove us nuts until we figured this out.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
12.6V is hardly low.......

BUT were are you getting that reading?
While hooked up to shore power OR just battery/no shore power?

5th wheel in storage since early Feb.....3 mos of parasitic drain can cause battery to be low.
Then when you plugged in voltage came up....LP Detector beep due to low voltage

2012 LP Detector should not be 'expired' (Usually 5-7 yr shelf life)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Did you check the date on it? They have a "replace after" date.