cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

questions.... I have them.. :D

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
1) the fresh water tank fill on my motorhome is the kind where you have to hook up a hose and have pressure on it, to fill, just like the "city water". I would prefer to have a gravity fill so water can be added from a jug, or from a hose, using this adapter that I already have. I also really dislike messing around with screwing the hose on.

Question 1: How big a deal would it be to change out that opening and is it something a person with a few skills could do herself?

I'm also planning to winterize by blowing out the lines, rather than pink stuff (except the traps, of course.) I may go back and forth a few times a year doing this, so it seems less hassle than removing all the stuff in the storage space, taking off a panel, using the pump, and then reversing the process before very long. I have a small compressor and hose.

Question 2: Is this the fitting I need?

Question 3: Are there any particular pitfalls to winterizing using compressed air? I've been googling around and reading here.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board
32 REPLIES 32

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
I went out and did some measuring with regard to level of the water inlet and tank. The inlet is about 4" lower than the tank. Thus the need for pressure to fill, and a gravity fill from that point won't work. I think my solution is going to be some quick connect fittings, to make life easier for my arthritic right hand. Turning those hose fittings HURTS.

I'm still debating about the winterizing. Agreed, antifreeze is simple. I think I'll take off panel in the storage compartment, and see how easy the pump is to access. I may add an access door for the pump.

Campgrounds without water at the site (common around here) often have unthreaded faucets scattered around. Will one of those water thief adapter things hold on well enough to get a pressurized fill? Or do they pop off pretty easily? I've only ever used one for a gravity fill tank.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not much use for OP yet, but BurbMan can note this does not need a funnel.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/20-litre-water-can/A-p8570798e

It is for potable water. Only thing is it is heavy when full! I have to stand on a chair beside the gravity fill to get the can high enough to pour it in, and it gets lighter as it empties but not fast enough that it is not a strain on you for the first while. Works though!

Of course, you don't have to fill it, but then it is more trips to the water tap to fill the RV. Also you need a short hose to go from the water tap to the can for filling it, depending on where the water tap is.

I have also used a water pump that fits on an electric drill and used that from the RV's inverter, pulling water up from an open bucket. MSW inverter has the drill turn slower (my impression anyway) but it was enough for this job.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
BurbMan wrote:
I have yet to see a gravity fill where you don't need a funnel to fill from a jug. So I wind up balancing a flexible funnel while trying to pour a 5 gal jug into it. Seems much easier to have a spare 12v pump as was mentioned...build a little rig so you can screw the output to the fill valve and stick the suction end in the water jug.

Get ahold of a short piece of PVC pipe and a 90 degree bend. A 6-8inch piece that sticks into the inlet hole connected to the 90 degree bend and a 2 inch piece sticking up from the 90 degree (we just dry fit and it's worked without leaking or falling apart). Now a funnel sits upright and the water is directed into the inlet with ease.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
coolmom42 wrote:
1) the fresh water tank fill on my motorhome is the kind where you have to hook up a hose and have pressure on it, to fill, just like the "city water". I would prefer to have a gravity fill so water can be added from a jug, or from a hose, using this adapter that I already have. I also really dislike messing around with screwing the hose on.

Question 1: How big a deal would it be to change out that opening and is it something a person with a few skills could do herself?

I'm also planning to winterize by blowing out the lines, rather than pink stuff (except the traps, of course.) I may go back and forth a few times a year doing this, so it seems less hassle than removing all the stuff in the storage space, taking off a panel, using the pump, and then reversing the process before very long. I have a small compressor and hose.

Question 2: Is this the fitting I need?

Question 3: Are there any particular pitfalls to winterizing using compressed air? I've been googling around and reading here.

1) Depends on how deeply buried the tank is. If you can get easy access to the inlet on the tank, it's a pretty easy thing to change out. If they have buried it and it's major surgery to get access, it can be a major project.

3) I find using antifreeze simpler. Air works if you do it right but it's easy to miss some water. If the hot water tank drain plug is removed and you have pink stuff flowing from every outlet (both hot and cold), there is really no question. If you are worried that it's hard to get at the pump to connect, add a longer hose once so it's easy to get to. Usually only takes a couple gallons to do most RVs and if it's easy access to the antifreeze hose, maybe 15 minutes to winterize. (PS: don't forget to drain the fresh water tank, there is usually a line coming out the bottom).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes that is the correct fitting. You should limit pressure to 45psi or less, so if you use 25 that should be fine. Be sure to open the low point drains so that water can run out. Ideally, if you open the low point drains on the hot/cold lines and the FW tank, the rig should self drain...all you are doing with the compressed air is making sure no puddles remain in case there are any "bellies" in the water lines.

Regarding the gravity fill, how easy it is to change that fitting depends entirely on where the hose fitting is. A gravity fill is larger than a hose fitting so you need to be sure a fill fitting will fit in that spot. Also you have the hose to consider...the hose from a gravity fill port to the FW tank is usually 1 1/2", if you have a hose fitting there the line to the tank is probably 3/4" Pex.

Rigs with gravity fill also have the check valve at the pump, so water doesn't flow back into the tank when hooked up to city water. If you have a hose fitting, the check valve may very well be there like it is on the city water fitting. So lot's more to consider than just changing the fitting...

I have yet to see a gravity fill where you don't need a funnel to fill from a jug. So I wind up balancing a flexible funnel while trying to pour a 5 gal jug into it. Seems much easier to have a spare 12v pump as was mentioned...build a little rig so you can screw the output to the fill valve and stick the suction end in the water jug.

Post a few pics and we can dig into some of these potential issues.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will take a look for any hidden gravity fill.

I'm not sure if the current location is higher than the tank or not, really hadn't thought about that. Will do some measurements. The tank is under the bed. Thanks for pointing that out.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You very likely DO have a gravity fill somewhere (perhaps on the other side) it will MOST LIKELY behind a square panel about 6" inches square (4 to ๐Ÿ˜Ž with a key lock. Most common key is a CH751

On at least one motor home model it's under the hood but usually out in the open.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
That fitting would be fine for blowing out the lines. I assembled a veryd similar one from various adapters and fittings from Home Depot (male garden hose to 1/2" NPT, 1/2" NPT to 1/4" NPT bushing, 1/4" air quick connect fitting).

There's nothing particularly noteworthy about blowing out the water lines for winterization; just take your time and go through everything a couple times to get as much water as possible out (operating one tap at a time). Obviously it's also necessary to drain the water heater and fresh water tank, etc. I generally set the compressor regulator at 40 psi, but the actual pressure when the lines are being blown out drops a whole lot, and that's just fine.

Adding a gravity fill might be hard depending on where your water tank is. You need to have the fill port higher than the water tank, and if it's directly under the bed (for example) that can mean finding a way to get the gravity fill port up perhaps five or six feet above the ground...and having to put water in from that point as well. If you don't have water pressure available, it is possible to pump water into the tank with a winterization inlet port by setting the valves to winterize and opening the fill valve.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I use the one with schrader valve.
Blow out plug

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
wopachop wrote:
Post pics.

Of what?
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Post pics.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 77 year old hands have trouble screwing hose fittings tightly together, so I equipped my water hoses and city water port with quick disconnects that make the job much easier. I found the brass QD's linked below to be more reliable and longer lasting than the cheaper plastic or brass colored aluminium kind.

ShowNew Garden Hose Quick Connectors, Solid Brass
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
On my 5th wheel the fresh water tank have a overflow/vent that is covered by a square plastic housing. Push up hard on the housing and it pops off. Then you can attach a gravity fill funnel to fill the tank.

Click For Full-Size Image.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
Many just carry a 12V water pump and pump out of a jug into the tank. I would not commit surgery on my piping unless forced to do so. My 12V was a spare water pump and sure enough my water pump croaked this summer.

Whatever you do do not pressurize the plumbing system beyond it's design limits.

I don't think this really surgery, it's just a fitting at the end of a line. ๐Ÿ˜„

From what I've read, 25 PSI is adequate for winterizing and that is what I plan to use.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
You fill you tank probably theough the same hose for the winterizing thats attached to your pump. You could elongate that line to the outside or underside and use it that way also. As was said you can get a separate pump and fill from a bucket also. Changing out to a gravity feed can be done, but you have to have acess to the water tank and make some holes in the camper to do it. Probably not worth it. Easier to drill a hole in the bottem of the camper and extend the winterizing line. ( just check that yours fills the tank that way, check the owners manual)
I would use antifreeze myself, i dont know how you can blow out the water in the water pump on a camper. If it doesn't get that cold during the winter it may not matter. The choice and chance is yours to make.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.