Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

"Youuuu Light Up My Lifeee"

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

Hairpin alternator anyone?

Man, a cop catches you with this thing lit, he's likely to pull his Sig Sauer and empty a clip into it.
17 REPLIES 17

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I have some fog light sized LED's with 6 LEDs each. Barely over 12 watts consumption, yet as bright as a 65 watt sealed beam on high beam getting 14.5v.

People that blind me with aftermarket hId/led bulbs in halogen housings, have the favor returned.

The LED lightbar in this thread will sear retinas. Lawyers will love the new workload they get after chasing ambulances when such a lightbar used onroad induces the moth effect.

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Idiot in downtown Denver blinded me with one of these, a couple of days ago. Ticket waiting to happen!
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

CJW8
Explorer
Explorer
That is probable 728 watt equivalent. Look at the wiring kit in the picture. It probably pulls no more than 30 amps. The 500 watt light is "Current draw: 21.42 A @ 12 volts" I couldn't find the specifications on the 728 light.
2003 Forest River Sierra M-37SP Toy Hauler- Traded in
2015 Keystone Raptor 332TS 5th wheel toy Hauler (sold)
2004 Winnebago Vectra. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
200 watt aircraft landing lights, one enraged cop...

"Do you realize when you shut off those lights, they slowly dim. White, yellow, RED, orange, then fade"?

Well, at least down here you can separate a visiting redneck's pickup from a local's in an instant.

The redneck has a gun rack above the seat back.

Wheels, fat tires, chains, chrome, loud exhaust, black windows are exactly the same...

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Back in the day I had a Scout 80 with a couple of aircraft landing lights on the front. The Scout would actually slow down when I turned them on as the draw on the alternator was so great.
They were so bright we would stop just before a large highway bridge and turn them on at night and after a few minutes they would shut the lights off on the bridge.......
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
gotsmart wrote:
No officer. That's not an illegal light bar on top of my smart car. It's an air brake. When I flip this switch it cuts power to the car and the car stops immediately.

D*mn! Where's my "like" button!

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Every other redneck truck here in Alabama has them.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Almot wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:

Only legit reason for those is on a back-country road to give visibility of deer & other wildlife

Cows sitting on the road in the night. They come at night when it's cold in desert and road paving releases the heat accumulated during the day. This, and UNMARKED speed bumps, and potholes, and cracked or missing sections of paving is the reason to avoid night driving in Mexico at all costs. And drunk drivers too - hola, here rests Antonio who never used his headlights because he thought he could see better without them :B

Car insurance is optional, and many locals don't have it because can't afford it.

Or, in the boonies of TN....
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sure beats the set of KCs I had on my brush guard :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
coolmom42 wrote:

Only legit reason for those is on a back-country road to give visibility of deer & other wildlife

Cows sitting on the road in the night. They come at night when it's cold in desert and road paving releases the heat accumulated during the day. This, and UNMARKED speed bumps, and potholes, and cracked or missing sections of paving is the reason to avoid night driving in Mexico at all costs. And drunk drivers too - hola, here rests Antonio who never used his headlights because he thought he could see better without them :B

Car insurance is optional, and many locals don't have it because can't afford it.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Got Me Roy!

Was hoping to venture into the legality of this. My little toad is going to get a pair of minor lights. However, they will be covered with an elastic sock while in the USA for Dr appts.

Asphalt tinted cattle, Berrendos (Antelope) and potholes so deep you'd swear you could hear Chinese coming from the bottom, is why I am getting the 96 lb wonder version of a light bar. That picture above, shows the wrong way to install aux lighting. Shaving the top of the pavement with light, makes for texture and bump shadows (profile relief). Bad Juju lighting quality.

Yeah I forgot about that stuff:

Truck lifted so high women refuse to expose themselves getting in. Decals plastered all over about Smith & Wesson Burglar Alarms, 2nd Amendment rights. Mandatory half dozen empties rattling around in the bed, stack of Hustler's under the front seat. NASCAR belt buckle. And tires that make sounds like downtown London during the Blitz.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
These 20-inch LED LIGHT BARS are showing up on alot of Ford F150 trucks front grills around here. Bet they draw Law Enforcement attention as well...

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
No officer. That's not an illegal light bar on top of my smart car. It's an air brake. When I flip this switch it cuts power to the car and the car stops immediately.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some bubba who lives out past me has a couple of huge light bars above the windshield on his truck. I saw him running down the road a few times with them on, in city limits, early in the evening. Haven't seen him recently, my guess is that he met the ticket-writing bubba. ๐Ÿ˜„

Only legit reason for those is on a back-country road to give visibility of deer & other wildlife, or to light up a work area.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board