cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommend me a tool?

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I know this is radical, but I am thinking about NOT bringing my favorite cordless drill this year.

Drill, battery, extra battery, charger -- all together they weigh a lot, and I hardly used them last year. But I'd feel naked without some way to make holes in stuff. I could bring my antique corded drill that doesn't even have reverse. It's a LITTLE lighter. I could bring my really-antique hand crank drill :).

But I wonder if something exists that y'all could point me to because my computer is having problems and won't cooperate with Amazon. Something LIGHTWEIGHT, and rechargeable and reasonably cheap. It doesn't have to be high-powered. Worst case, I might drill an 1/8" pilot hole in my steel bike frame, but more likely just in plastic or wood.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.
23 REPLIES 23

stevenal
Nomad II
Nomad II
A cordless drill that requires no charger or battery and is easy to pack Run time determined by the operator.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Versatility -capability - run time -power - type of chuck infinetly more important.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Drill, batteries, and charger weigh what, 5 lbs.? This is a non-issue.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a small, cheap corded one to keep in the camper. I don't even remember what brand it is right off the top of my head. It was like $30. It is in a plastic case and I don't have to worry about charging batteries. I've had to use it once in 5 years.

MrWizard
ryobi link that works
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Just picked up a 5-1/2" hole saw and now I have an excellent first use for it. Might cause a Tsunami hazmat flood and kill a lot of steelhead though..Draw flies too.

Naio, go Lithium for the battery. The higher the voltage generally speaking, the faster and stronger it will be. Devices that hinge will fit into tighter places. Good luck!

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Quote:
Drill, battery, extra battery, charger -- all together they weigh a lot,
---------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah, perdy heavy,...mite blow tires. Maybe just drive in the morning, so the tires have a better chance. 2nd thought, just rent a drill if/when you need one.
That would be cheaper than blowin tires from haulin that heavy drill,.....oh yeah, I forgot about the cat and litter and food etc etc.That stuff is really heavy.
You in big trouble, thats all there is to it !! ๐Ÿ™‚
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
I have this Makita set, no need for the old heavy drill anymore. If you want to go light leave one at home and since the battery will last a long time for your limited use leave the charger home to.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone! I go off for the day and I come back to all these drills to look at :).

My drills are all all the old, heavy, batteries (or corded). I did not realise the newfangled ones, some of them, are so light but strong!

The weight issue is that my van is not a camper, and now I gotta bring the sick kittycat and all his stuff -- litter and food is heavy. And I have my new ex650...
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
I carry my 10 year old 18v Dewalt 1/2" hammer drill/driver in its case and do not think it heavy. I used it at work every day, so use to it. I also have some drill bits and and magnetic nut setters in the case.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I carry all my chargers (about a dozen) in a plastic tote including the cordless drill charger. At home the tote comes inside for use until the next camping trip.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ryobi/Amazon Clicky
I like it for a compact tool that looks like it could get a lot done. A friend has a little Hitachi 12V lithium kit that's way smaller/lighter than our 18V Ryobi lithium or older 14.4V Ryobi NiCd
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If you need a drill and have one.... just bring it.

Mine has always stayed at home. But then I have yet to need one.
My jacks etc. have always worked fine with the hand crank.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use the 20 volt B&D linked above for raising/lowering our rig's 4 stabilizer jacks, lighter than the 18 volt Ryobi we used to tote along. We never RV without it as it works the jacks up or down in mere seconds, along with our powered tongue jack, it really makes setting up or breaking camp quick and easy. Works great as a drill and driver as well should the need arise.