Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refrigerator replacement ASAP

demort
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all
I probably should have followed my gut and turned on the fridge well in advance of our trip.
Now we are planning to leave in 2 days and my old Norcold 662 seems to have failed. We started it up this morning and smelled ammonia this afternoon. The divider between the fridge and freezer was hot too.
So - question of urgency - Does Camping World typically have replacement models on hand?
I've got maybe a day option to delay the trip, but we're heading from NY to MO to see the eclipse and meet friends. Can't quite ask the solar system to hold off while we figure this out.
46 REPLIES 46

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
One comment to folks reading this thread in times of instant need.. Well three

Dometic post-recall. There is a reset button on the "Stack" (right side of Fridge)

Norcold with the Recall box and the Red LIght.. A magnet above the light resets though it has to be powerful enough

And if the unit has TRULY failed... For INSTANT coolification a Dorm/Office job from Sears, Best By, Big Lots or __________ can be 100-200 dollars and does a great job

True story: Back in nmy PUP and early Solid trialer days I used "Coleman coolers" (Ice chests) and bought ice LOTS of it in August.. Then the CG where we normally stayed started charging for electricity #4.00/day.. I went and dropped $100 on Sears and came home with a Fridge that held as much food as our Big Ice cooler.. kept it better and MADE ICE.... When I got the Class A I sold it for 25 to another RVer who ... Is now doing the same.

Now I do not recommend Standard Refrigerators for RV use. I much prefer either the absorption cooling unit or a high-effiency conpressor (Danfoss et-al) but Let me tell you for somehing fast. and which you may well have a use for outside the RV.. Those small jobs are fantastic.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like things went super groovy!!!! Have fun!! and at a outrageously good price!
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
Its nice to hear a positive result instead of the bad experiences. Well done Leon & Demort, Thanks for updating us with the results.

MrWizard
That's great congratulations
Have a Happy trip
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Love It! Congratulations, Enjoy!
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

demort
Explorer
Explorer
Leon swapped with a scratch/dent norcold n611 in an hour & a half. Very fair price. It needed a little adjustment to the cabinet opening, so it's nice that I didn't have to figures that sort of stuff out myself. Leon and his son know what they are doing.
We're back on the road to see our friends and the eclipse!

demort
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Yup, follow your gut and check all systems two weeks in advance...1993 fridge?

I HATE those 1993 RV fridges! Always quitting on you...25 years later.

I know right?
It was fine last trip three weeks ago so I wasn't as cautious as I normally am.
I like the idea of a full swap instead of refurbishing this one, and I'll be happy if I only get 12 or 13 years from a newfangled fridge.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Jerseyjim
Fad? I bet you see more and more resi. I just turn mine off and open the doors or unplug.

demort
Explorer
Explorer
Ah - thanks Jim.
Dave was pointing me at the 12V compressor fridges - not 3 way. I get the risk of using DC on the 3-way models.
I'll consider 12v compressor technology for future because I do have a nice solar setup and good house batteries.
For now though I am getting a new 2-way, plug & play pit stop very much on our planned route.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
demort: Elaborate: Having had both a Norcold (difficult/troublesome (1) and Dometic (never a problem) (3)....that is what I base my brand preference on.

the 12V (3 way) can run down your battery really fast if not being charged either by the 12V RV battery (inverter?) or 110 from outside. To me, an unnecessary part than simply isn't worth it. Can be trouble. MY OPINION.

Electric/gas...run the gas when on the road....it doesn't use all that much...propane will keep the fridge running for at least 5 days if boondocking...providing your coach batteries are good. (for the 12V control board) MY EXPERIENCE

And, FWIW how about the new fad? Household fridges? Might work good...but how do you turn them off?

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
You won't be disappointed with Leon's work. He is a gem.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

demort
Explorer
Explorer
Leon has a new Norcold N611 scratch & dent for $75 more than it would cost me to have him change the cooling unit on the 662.
I'm going to go this option for now. It gives us all new parts, direct fit replacement, and half the time to change over than if I had him refurbish the 25 year old fridge. Any option to get this done later at home would certainly involve shipping costs and hassle. I doubt I'd get a similar price. And I'd be doing the job myself...

I'm really liking the thought of a 12V compressor unit but that's going to have to be a long term plan for costs and energy calculations, sizing so I can apply the recommended insulation, etc.

Again - I am really thankful that people spoke up with so many good ideas.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
demort wrote:
jerseyjim wrote:
Dump the Norcold, get a Dometic elec/gas. Stay away from the 12V.

My opinion...FWIW...and g'luck

Can you elaborate- what makes you avoid the 12v option?
And your preference of dometic over norcold?

Yes please do elaborate. My 12 volt fridge has been flawless. I never worry about leveling which is a big big deal. Its ice cold and ready to go in a couple of hours. The original poster all ready has solar installed which will supply the power. I can't see the downside.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
drop it off on your way pick it up on the way ,call leon.