Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resealing the exterior

tspeckin
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all,
I would like to re-do all vertical seals on my 5er and wondered if there were any new ways to get "all" of the old silicon off. I have read some old threads about the use or non-use of silicon for resealing and I personally am of the belief that we are resealing for a reason and since silicon is such a pain to remove, why put it back on. Since nothing adheres to silicon and the residue left behind, it makes me nervous to think that if I don't fully remove it, it will cause my new seal to fail. I've even thought about just cleaning the trim and fiberglass good and using eternabond to completely cover the old silicon seal. ???
2007 Keystone Laredo 29GR
7 REPLIES 7

Winnipeg
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
3M caulk remover Brush it on, wait a couple of hours and caulk falls off. Follow up with mineral spirits to remove the last of the residue.

BTW, the shower stall is the only area to use silicone on an RV.

You say to only use silicone in the shower. What do you recommend for exterior?

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
tspeckin wrote:
I didn't really like the idea of taping, but time is something I can never find enough of. Maybe I'll wait till next year. I retire in June.

Make the time. Get your RV sealed now. You'll be ready to go next June.
You're supposed to spend your retirement RVing, not working on the RV. 🙂

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

tspeckin
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
3M caulk remover Brush it on, wait a couple of hours and caulk falls off. Follow up with mineral spirits to remove the last of the residue.

Does the mineral spirits completely evaporate, or do you need to clean that off as well?

tspeckin
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't really like the idea of taping, but time is something I can never find enough of. Maybe I'll wait till next year. I retire in June.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sure would look tacky with big sheets of eternabond all over the side seams. Clean everything really well,yea it is slow and a real pain. But to do it right and look good takes time. If you really want to do it right, remove the trim, clean everything really well,apply a new bead of butyl putty tape,reinstall the trim. A few days later after the excess putty tape is squeezed out and cleaned off, apply a nice clean bead of Dicor or Proflex.

westend
Explorer
Explorer

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton