cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RF Fridge to Samsung RF 18

JC2
Explorer
Explorer
About 3-4 weeks ago, we traded our 2004 Dutch Star DP and purchased a 2010 Newmar Dutch Aire Model 4304 DP from Motor Homes of Texas in Nacogdoches, Tx. It came with the double door SS Norcold 1200 series rv fridge which I admit is working relatively well. I have not been a supporter of them for some time nor do I trust them. We are scheduled to have it replaced by MH of TX on Oct 15 with the Samsung SS 17.5 cu ft French Door Counter Depth model RF18HFENBSR. Our other choice was a GE 18.6 cu ft French Door Counter Depth model GWE19JSLSS @ $500 more. Over the past several years when the big push started with folks to replace their rv fridges with residential ones, Samsung was mentioned frequently as a choice. Reader comments on the Home Depot website for "both" is all over the board. What have members of this forums experienced reliability wise if the have changed to either the Samsung or GE models I mentioned? Good, bad,???
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487
21 REPLIES 21

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
dons2346 wrote:
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Keeping Doors Closed?

Preferred method?

No problem

Another option.

JC2
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the link.. Have heard many good things about these folks in Indiana.

pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

As mentioned earlier in the thread:

http://jc-refrigeration.com/

JC2 wrote:
What company is offering this?
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

As mentioned earlier in the thread:

JC2 wrote:
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Keeping Doors Closed?

Preferred method?

No problem

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
This looks interesting:

options for the 1200 series (4 door Norcolds)
#1 the new cooling unit option:
Converts your existing fridge to a residential fridge, (which eliminates your Lp gas and ammonia absortion system) this cooling unit is built with a compressor system and not only do you get to keep your same fridge and controls you are used to but there is no need to remove the windshield, door or window to get the old fridge out and the new in nor the hassle of cutting or redoing the cabinets to make a new fridge fit. There is also no need to have your coach level anymore for the fridge, since this unit will have a compressor. It pulls .08 Amp on AC, only a fraction of what normal residentual fridges will pull and will run off a 600W inverter (does not require pure sign wave). Or we can also do a DC 12V Compressor off the 12V wires behind the fridge with a 5.5A draw. This cooling unit is designed to withstand hot humid temps and will keep your ice-cream hard. This unit comes with a 3 year warranty with the option for an aditional 3 years for $125, it is very user friendly to work on in the field should it need it down the road. we can ship to you,see our easy to install video or have it factory installed for $300 โ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ .
AC Compressor $895.00 / DC Compressor $1095.00
* there is always the question of how much power it really takes or how long the battery will last on a charge........ you need to multiply your amp hr on your battery by how many batteries then multiply by 60% for amps available, then divide by either 8 for the AC compressor or 5.5 for the DC Compressor
Example: 4 batteries at 225 A hr (these hrs are subject to amb temp an usage)
900 amps total
x60%
540 available Amps
/ 5.5 amp draw DC
98 hrs of run time
50% average run time
147 hrs of available run time
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

JC2
Explorer
Explorer

pianotuna wrote:
This looks interesting:

Converts your existing fridge to a residential fridge, (which eliminates your Lp gas and ammonia absortion system) this cooling unit is built with a compressor system and not only do you get to keep your same fridge and controls you are used to but there is no need to remove the windshield, door or window to get the old fridge out and the new in nor the hassle of cutting or redoing the cabinets to make a new fridge fit. There is also no need to have your coach level anymore for the fridge, since this unit will have a compressor. It pulls .08 Amp on AC, only a fraction of what normal residentual fridges will pull and will run off a 600W inverter (does not require pure sign wave). Or we can also do a DC 12V Compressor off the 12V wires behind the fridge with a 5.5A draw. This cooling unit is designed to withstand hot humid temps and will keep your ice-cream hard. This unit comes with a 3 year warranty with the option for an aditional 3 years for $125, it is very user friendly to work on in the field should it need it down the road. we can ship to you,see our easy to install video or have it factory installed for $300 โ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ .
* there is always the question of how much power it really takes or how long the battery will last on a charge........ you need to multiply your amp hr on your battery by how many batteries then multiply by 60% for amps available, then divide by either 8 for the AC compressor or 5.5 for the DC Compressor
900 amps total
x60%
540 available Amps
/ 5.5 amp draw DC
98 hrs of run time
50% average run time

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
This looks interesting:

900 amps total
x60%
540 available Amps
/ 5.5 amp draw DC
98 hrs of run time
50% average run time
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
C.B. wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Act like you own the Samsung and call for Samsung Repair Service under warranty INSTALLED IN AN RV. THAT will answer your question on Samsung versus other name brands. In DFW, Texas, we cannot find ANY authorized Samsung service center to work on Samsung's in RV's. They WILL work on them in Residential, but not in RV's. All other Brands we have no problem for service in RV's. Maybe not a big deal, UNTIL your unit needs warranty repair. And remember, when they are installed in an RV, the Residential Refer Service centers do NOT remove the refer from the cabinet if it needs removed for repair, warranty or out of warranty. The customer has to remove it from the cabinet, then they will repair it. Doug

Not true here. Factory authorized repair center will do warranty work in RV.

I can understand them not wanting to remove cabinet since they don't r&r RV windows.

C.B.

NO, THEY WILL NOT.

I Respectfully DISAGREE

My factory authorized repair company came out and replaced the fan assembly in my Samsung in my 5th wheel under warranty!

As far as removing frige from cabinet I would not want them to do it. I know how it's held in, not them. I 'll remove and reinstall myself.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
C.B. wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Act like you own the Samsung and call for Samsung Repair Service under warranty INSTALLED IN AN RV. THAT will answer your question on Samsung versus other name brands. In DFW, Texas, we cannot find ANY authorized Samsung service center to work on Samsung's in RV's. They WILL work on them in Residential, but not in RV's. All other Brands we have no problem for service in RV's. Maybe not a big deal, UNTIL your unit needs warranty repair. And remember, when they are installed in an RV, the Residential Refer Service centers do NOT remove the refer from the cabinet if it needs removed for repair, warranty or out of warranty. The customer has to remove it from the cabinet, then they will repair it. Doug

I can understand them not wanting to remove cabinet since they don't r&r RV windows.

C.B.

NO, THEY WILL NOT. I work for an RV Service center and NO residential Warranty Service company will work on them IF the refer has to be removed from the cabinet for repair. IF the repair can de done without removing the refer from the cabinet, they will do the repair. Even out of warranty, if the refer needs removed from its built in cabinet, they require someone else to remove it. Doug

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Regards, Don

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
JC Refridgeration makes compressor conversion kits for most RV fridges starting with the Norcold 1200. Their compressor units are more energy effcient than anything else I"ve seen.
They're a good option if a person doesn't want to replace the fridge but wants resi cooling capability.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Our experience with the RF18

Above was our experience with the RF18. Only had it for a few months. Like someone else said, wish we had done it sooner. If you are going to be off grid, I would suggest you look into more batteries and maybe upgrade the inverter/charger.You will not likely get beyond 8 hours with fridge and furnace. on 220AH.