cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Running AC on battery power

drillagent
Explorer
Explorer
For those days when the pets have to stay in the RV, and the CG charges extra for electricity. Is it safe to unplug the shore power while you're out while leaving the AC on for the pets and then plugging back in when you return? Or will the batteries drain before the end of the day?
TV: 2012 F250 CC SB SRW 6.7L Diesel w/air lift suspension
CHU: 2012 Keystone Montana 3750FL
Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball w/ Companion 3500
Family: Me, HH6, a Boston Terrier, a Shiba Inu
26 REPLIES 26

MarshaNichols
Explorer
Explorer
I would pay the extra to make sure pet is ok...I even have a portable battery powered fan...just in case (Ryobi)

msiminoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since we're talking about extreme examples...

What the OP asked is possible. There are plenty of expedition vehicle owners that use a small-ish A/C unit (typically a household window-mounted type) in combination with large solar array, a bank of batteries, and a 2-3kW inverter to keep their rigs cool... and they never plug into shore power or run a generator.

I can and often do operate my roof-top A/C without starting the (gasoline) generator or connecting to shore-power... I just power it from my inverter. Of course, due to the modest size of my solar and battery systems, I am limited to about 3 hours of A/C run-time. After that I have no choice but to re-charge my batteries from a 115Vac source.

Unfortunately any the solar/battery/inverter solution is going to be far more expensive than the extra charge campground is going to have for power use.

-Mark
'04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 328W of solar, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Trimetric, Prosine 2.0
05 Ram3500, Cummins,Vision 19.5 w/M729F's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Superhitch, Roadmaster Swaybar, Rancho RS9000XL
The Overlhander Blog

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Of course it could be a troll, but that isn't the point. Learning is the point. Using extreme examples at times allows for amplified perspective and sometimes that is exactly perfect to illustrate a point.

X100 in Enterprise Architecture we call that an alternate viewpoint. Boundary conditions are extremely useful for learning purposes.

I have seen Natural gas AC. LP microwave needs an LP genset in the middle.

Jim

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Using extreme examples at times allows for amplified perspective and sometimes that is exactly perfect to illustrate a point.
So what did you think of the LP/wood MW post?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

penguin747
Explorer
Explorer
You have to pay for electricity? Is this not in your rate price? Just a crazy question

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Of course it could be a troll, but that isn't the point. Learning is the point. Using extreme examples at times allows for amplified perspective and sometimes that is exactly perfect to illustrate a point.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
HiTech wrote:
Need some kind of grid tie or similar paralleling/fast switch technology to get the financial benefit I would think.
I was just thinking about this.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
joebedford wrote:
I think the OP thought the A/C ran on 12 volts - no mention of inverter.
Unfortunately, yes. I'm wondering if it's another leg-pulling post, along with the refer light out and the LP microwave.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
Some people on meters have looked at using inverter/battery/ solar as well to reduce costs. Very situational if you can ever "pay" for the solar by reducing meter costs.

Makes the most sense to me to skip the batteries all together in this kind of scenario. Need some kind of grid tie or similar paralleling/fast switch technology to get the financial benefit I would think.

Jim

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
How do the 20 GC2 batteries get recharged?.
That's the real problem. Getting enough battery bank is the easy part. I think there was a thread last year that actually explored this question seriously. The consensus was, I think, two battery banks. One being charged while the other was in use.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
How do the 20 GC2 batteries get recharged? More efficient to use the electric to power the air directly vs inverter/batteries/recharge all night.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I think the OP thought the A/C ran on 12 volts - no mention of inverter.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some people on meters have looked at using inverter/battery/ solar as well to reduce costs. Very situational if you can ever "pay" for the solar by reducing meter costs.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
Honestly it's not that big an inverter. 3600 watts or smaller. It's just being able to do it for any period of time.

A small AC on a dog crate might not be impossible.

But I am confused. So you are paying for electricity? If so, it would cost you more to run from batteries even if you could, than just running from the AC line, because you would need more electricity to recharge the batteries than it takes to run the air conditioners.

Jim