cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Deep Cycle Battery

mikem1945
Explorer
Explorer
I have a DEKA DC24 12 volt batter in trailer right now that is 7 years old and getting weak. Has anyone had good luck going with the Walmart Deep Cycle Battery. They would be easy to replace if go bad under warranty.
MMiller
2005 Starwood SL 29ft RKS FW
2004 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab Duramax
40 REPLIES 40

tplife
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Try and find a car-jar battery with .125" positive plates and 5% antimony construction. This and glass mat separators are what makes up a "Deep Cycle" battery.

Interstate is a reseller. The only thing they manufacture is paperwork. Their production consists of warehousing and distribution. Some (not all) distributors (the people with warehouses and trucks) are well-informed about batteries. At Wal-Mart, the pimple-faced kid in the automotive department is about as battery smart as the teenager in Burger King who does the french fries.

You might want to invest in a subscription to Consumer Reports...
Amigo.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Try and find a car-jar battery with .125" positive plates and 5% antimony construction. This and glass mat separators are what makes up a "Deep Cycle" battery.

Interstate is a reseller. The only thing they manufacture is paperwork. Their production consists of warehousing and distribution. Some (not all) distributors (the people with warehouses and trucks) are well-informed about batteries. At Wal-Mart, the pimple-faced kid in the automotive department is about as battery smart as the teenager in Burger King who does the french fries.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
eric1514 wrote:
I've never seen a Deep Cycle battery at Walmart, I've only seen Marine. I'll look again.

Eric
I have been looking for the GC batteries also at Walmart's across the country in my travels and finally found them in a Walmart in NH this summer. If I remember correctly they were less than $80 and no tax, made by Interstate.

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
I've never seen a Deep Cycle battery at Walmart, I've only seen Marine. I'll look again.

Eric
2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

enahs
Explorer
Explorer
My three AC Delco series 30 RV/Marine batteries are now 8 years old. Load tested them in the spring and they are still very strong. They are true maintenance-free batteries. I've used AC/Delco for years in different RVs (and in vehicles) and have never had a single problem. No need to check water โ€” they are entirely sealed. I keep the RV batteries on a battery minder each winter. Golf cart batteries are not an option due to their height. To each his own, but I'll continue buying AC/Delco. BTW, I found that comparable AGM batteries don't have as high amp hours.
'07 Chevy 3500 Dooley, CC, LT3, D/A

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Dang, I wish we had as costco within reasonable driving distance.

I am just forced to go the wally world route and will stick to it even after reading thru this post. :h

jbbrick
Explorer
Explorer
The latest Consumer Reports that I just got yesterday has a test on batteries. For a group 65 (usual large 12v) Costco is the top brand and is almost 1/2 the price of DieHard. Napa 8465 is the same $85 price but lower in capacity and life. Walmart Everstart is in the middle of the pack but more expensive than Costco and 150 fewer CCA's. These are not deep cycles, just reg car batteries. If you want true deep cycles you just about have to go with two 6v's.
'06 Itasca Suncruiser 33'
2016 Ford Edge toad

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
DryCamper11 wrote:
westend wrote:
The AGM has a few advantages, will charge quicker, will not freeze if less than charged fully, has low discharge for storage. The FLA is a clear winner for price/AH. I haven't had any issues with acid ruining my clothes, injuring any adjacent gear, or lost a lot of time with maintenance. Maybe it's just me.:h :B

I'm interested in the claim of faster charging for AGM. I recharge by gen and exclusively drycamp. I use FLA 4x6volt and recharge at C/5.75 (80A into 460 AH). That's about as fast as I'm comfortable with.

Does anyone have experience with faster charging than this using AGM?

I'm pretty happy with the speed of my recharging as it gets done with normal gen usage for the microwave or other high draw uses, but if I wanted less gen run time, I'd go to solar, not AGM.

I have AGM, genny and solar. There are many merits to AGMs. It is quite a long list of small merits that when considered in the aggregate lead me to say "Wets are cheaper to buy, AGMs are cheaper to own.".

Re faster charging, yes it is possible to fast charge some AGMs in accordance to their specs. Lifeline allows 500%, or 5C20 which they call inrush; that means 500A into a 100AH battery. Of course, this requires a temperature sensing charger to back off on the Volts/current to prevent thermal runaway. I do believe this will cause a loss of cycles making the benefit not so great except for the possibility. OTOH, a 100A charger is about the most you will find in a MH and few can take advantage of fast charging.

AGMs do charge cheaper though at any rate of current. This is simple math related to their internal resistance being lower. This means that less fuel is wasted to heating the battery. Also, since you don't bubble an AGM, no fuel is wasted breaking apart water molecules to stir the electrolyte. Plus shaving a few minutes from each genny run time can extend the life of the genny and postpone the expense of repair/replace.

The most Amps I have used is solar plus two portable chargers for ~40A into a 110AH AGM bank; I borrowed a 25A charger to get that high. Most of my genny charging is incidental while using the genny for cooking as I am not plumbed for propane.

HTH;
John

DryCamper11
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
The AGM has a few advantages, will charge quicker, will not freeze if less than charged fully, has low discharge for storage. The FLA is a clear winner for price/AH. I haven't had any issues with acid ruining my clothes, injuring any adjacent gear, or lost a lot of time with maintenance. Maybe it's just me.:h :B

I'm interested in the claim of faster charging for AGM. I recharge by gen and exclusively drycamp. I use FLA 4x6volt and recharge at C/5.75 (80A into 460 AH). That's about as fast as I'm comfortable with.

Does anyone have experience with faster charging than this using AGM?

I'm pretty happy with the speed of my recharging as it gets done with normal gen usage for the microwave or other high draw uses, but if I wanted less gen run time, I'd go to solar, not AGM.
In the Boonies!

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
My last trailer had 2 grp 27 Everstart Maxx (Johnson Controls)from Walmart. I dry camp always. They lasted 8 yrs. Best thing is there's always a walmart close by if one fails.

Most will do you good with good care, thats the key with any brand.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I would steer clear of the Walmart offerings, if given the right chance. I know Mex has one in his Casa de Grande. I believe that might be his review that was on the Walmart site, linked previously. I just don't trust their products. It's me, mostly.:)

If the OP is not shopping by price, a genuine deep cycle battery would be a good choice. They can take some abuse and will give good longevity. I don't buy anything with warranty coverage in mind. That now includes vehicles. It's me, again.:B

I have both AGM and FLA batteries in my TT and I don't have enough time with them to give a long term review but either seems capable for the application. The AGM has a few advantages, will charge quicker, will not freeze if less than charged fully, has low discharge for storage. The FLA is a clear winner for price/AH. I haven't had any issues with acid ruining my clothes, injuring any adjacent gear, or lost a lot of time with maintenance. Maybe it's just me.:h :B
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
tplife wrote:
There are also a lot of other models available in whatever Ah you need.... Sometimes I go cheap myself, because there are a lot of different applications out there and more than one option. ๐Ÿ™‚
There are MUCH more flooded battery choices out there too. Look at my sig, do those look like Costco GC's or Walmart 12's to you? I have also picked the exact amp-hours I require and I had a lot to choose from. And flooded battery does not equal cheap. My batts were nearly double the cost of yours ($260 each). Look up the cost of Rolls Surrette batteries sometime. Those are the best in the business. And how does someone with an Optima battery look down on others battery choices? LOL! That's about the worst battery you can buy. Leave those under the hood of a sand car where they belong. ๐Ÿ™‚

EldIr
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
EldIr wrote:
it's too expensive to warrant using them.
Hey, I can't take it with me and I deserve nice things. I've worked hard for my cash and now I'm gonna enjoy it!

You can send it to me if you have too much. I'm too f*cking poor to waste money where it isn't needed. And an Optima battery sure as hell isn't needed on my tt.
'01 Burb 2500 4x4 496/4.10 (3.73 effective w/ new tires)
'94 Jayco 300BH

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
Heck I dunno...
Had better reliability with WalMart MAXX than I have with Interstate DC\Marine.
The MAXX we have now still hangs in there after 18 months.
I'd buy WalMart MAXX again at least they're easy to find and buy.