Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Panel Outlet with 50-Amp Receptacle

N6WT
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to install one of these.:
Click here
My question is the circut coming from the main house box shoud it be 60 amp 110v or 60 amp 220v
2015 Newmar Ventana 4002
2003 Jeep Rubicon O||||O
UPS Feeder Driver Retired
Ham call sign N6WT
17 REPLIES 17

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
dougrainer wrote:
Regardless of what it states, you will NOT be able to close the door when the 50 amp male plug is plugged in. Does that concern you? If INSIDE then no big deal. But if exposed to the elements, I would NOT want to leave the door open. Doug

Doug...not saying you are wrong, but I have the same CE box, only RV30, not 50, and it is designed for outdoor use. My 30A cord easily fits in the slotted area in lower box, with door closed, and slid upwards for waterproof seal. I think the box pictured, has more depth than it appears. I do realize the 50A cord is larger than my 30A.

Jerry

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Should be 240 volt divided You want the NEUTRAL to be the same gauge as the HOT wires The wiring inside the box will take care of the 120/240 volt division feeding one 120 volt leg to the TT-30 and the other to the GFCI 15/20 and both of them to the 50 as designed.

DO NOT Swap wires or bad things can happen
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
Nicholsfamily05 wrote:
We have a 50 amp set up at our house and we purchased the receptical that allows us to close the cover all the way. It's nice keeps it out of the elements but makes a great place for. It's to make a nest. That part sucks!

But one leg should be 120volt and the other 110volts with the neutral and a ground with a 50 amp breaker. Pretty cheap to do if you can yourself, if not make sure you get an electrician that knows what they are doing.

I hope you had an electrician do this because it's apparent you don't understand electrical supply. Hot legs to neutral are a nominal 120v. The voltage may vary some depending on electrical system load but it's considered 120v. There is no nominal 110v electrical supply.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nicholsfamily05 wrote:
We have a 50 amp set up at our house and we purchased the receptical that allows us to close the cover all the way. It's nice keeps it out of the elements but makes a great place for. It's to make a nest. That part sucks!

But one leg should be 120volt and the other 110volts with the neutral and a ground with a 50 amp breaker. Pretty cheap to do if you can yourself, if not make sure you get an electrician that knows what they are doing.

I'm not following the 120V and 110V concept :H

As for the electrician part.......50A is normal for an electrician its the 30A RV circuit that they mess up....wire it 240V Dryer/Welder vs 120V
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

N6WT
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
60 amp 240 from a 60 amp double breaker in your main panel... You'll need to run a 4-wire (3 plus ground) 6GA copper line at a minimum, 4 GA if the run is very long. If you run aluminum, use 4GA instead of 6GA. Make sure the neutral and ground are NOT bonded at the sub-panel.

Best answer.

This is what I was looking for!

Thanks!!

Kent
NC6B
2015 Newmar Ventana 4002
2003 Jeep Rubicon O||||O
Ham call sign N6WT

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Extra reading material....
RV Electric
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
the wire diagram is printed inside the door in the picture. Just follow the instructions. I made my own 50 AMP plug but it isnt out in the weather. Mine is inside a machine shed and I just run my cord through a hose port in the wall.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Dutch_12078 wrote:
60 amp 240 from a 60 amp double breaker in your main panel... You'll need to run a 4-wire (3 plus ground) 6GA copper line at a minimum, 4 GA if the run is very long. If you run aluminum, use 4GA instead of 6GA. Make sure the neutral and ground are NOT bonded at the sub-panel.

Best answer.

N6WT
Explorer
Explorer
It will be in a covered location.
Thanks!
2015 Newmar Ventana 4002
2003 Jeep Rubicon O||||O
Ham call sign N6WT

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer

2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans
50 gallon diesel Transfer Flow tank with the Traxx 3 system.
2017 Sierra FLIK 5th Wheel
42' Front Livingroom, 15K
Hydraulic level up system

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
My 50A male plug it flat, and I can, and usually do close the panel after I connect and turn the breakers on. At campgrounds that type of box is exposed to the weather all the time. I would try to place it in a protected location of possible though.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a couple of pictorials to give some idea what to expect...

Camp Ground Pedestal wiring...

AC VOLTAGE MEASUREMENTS at the connector your shore power cable plugs into.

50AMPS

30/20/15 AMPS

Google Images

All readings must be followed to the TEE...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Regardless of what it states, you will NOT be able to close the door when the 50 amp male plug is plugged in. Does that concern you? If INSIDE then no big deal. But if exposed to the elements, I would NOT want to leave the door open. Doug