cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar question

PamfromVA
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading out west for vacation and will be staying in several no hookup sites. although we have a generator, our camper is not in any way wired for solar - it doesn't even have a 12 volt plug. I was looking at this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A3UGHOA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p86_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=c...

to use when the generator is off overnight to power my husband's cpap machine and perhaps the tv and directv box. has anyone used this product or perhaps knows of something similar?
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH
two very spoiled camping dogs
54 REPLIES 54

racer4
Explorer
Explorer
Pam,

Regarding CPAP: to get an idea of the power usage check this link. On the features tab scroll down to "Machine Pressure and Battery Options and Performance" look up the CPAP machine on the drop down menu etc.

That will give you how many hours that battery pack will last with that CPAP. This is without using the humidifier. I don't need it during warm weather anyway. You can charge the battery with the provided AC charger and a small inverter like this pocket inverter while driving the truck.

You can find a variety of battery pack sizes here. I use the Powerstream PST-BP200-HR22 which uses the largest battery they offer with that battery pack.

I hope this will get you started.
Chris and Pat
2023 Ram 3500 Limited, Cummins, Aisin, dually, Auto Flex Rear Air Ride Suspension
2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
$1300 :E Pass on that dud

An extra battery or two in parallel, small 300w inverter, and 100 to 250w solar can be had for less than half and provide far better.

Since you have a generator, the first thing is to evaluate your current 12v system including how many batteries and what converter is charging them.

Post what you have and we can get some suggestions rolling.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
CPAP and BiPAP with humidifier draws 5X the amperage. If it is possible to not use the humidifier it would make all the difference in the world.

You need to tap into a light circuit wire somewhere to power the device. Use a cigarette lighter socket/plug type connection to the machine.

A group 24 RV battery that powers only a BiPAP with humidifier (and nothing else) will need to be charged after around 12 hours of BiPAP operation. When I was in cold country, I insulated the hose to the mask, and placed the machine under the blankets in order to save energy.

In your circumstances I would seriously consider purchasing a 40-amp battery charger. Like at Home Depot or Lowes. You have too much demand to even think about using solar panels, as the roof area on a camper is small and you would need a minimum of TWENTY amps of panel recharge power. And a 2nd battery to boot. The direct TV receiver used to require around 50 watts itself, and how much do tiny flat panels draw these days...50 watts.??

For batteries, I would look at a pair of group 31 AGM batteries like the Sears Platinum. You've got to size the battery bank and choose a class of battery that will allow the generator/charger to stay at a 40 amp charge rate as long as possible.

This isn't going to be an inexpensive proposition. Otherwise something, somewhere has to give.

Hurricaner
Explorer
Explorer
You need to find out how much power that cpap draws as they vary greatly dependent on his needs, make and model, etc. There are no NPs that will allow you to run the gen at night so you need to stay at hookup parks or install enough batteries and an inverter to make it through the night. There are also DC powered cpap machines and portables that might meet your needs.

Sam
Sam & Kari
Hurricane, Utah

2019 Winnebago Sightseer 33C

Jetta03
Explorer
Explorer
OMG, do not buy that. 40 watt panel, 60 ah battery, 1800 watt inverter...this is a few hundred dollars retail worth of equipment max. Since you have a generator already why not just get an extra battery to ensure you can get through each night. Then if you really want to go solar do a bit of research, prices have really come down but unfortunately there are still unscrupulous sellers out there.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If this is not a project you want to take on right now, make sure you have 4 good 6v batteries, an inverter, and plenty of gas to recharge during the day.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Just taking some basic numbers cpap machines take about 40w. If you sleep for 8 hours that is 320 watt hours. You would need batteries of at least twice that or 640 watt hours.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Run away FAST from this. This is NOT what you want. I thought it was going to be one of those Harbor Freight solar panels, which is 10x better for the money..
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would not feel safe to depend on solar by itself... What happens if it is cloudy for a week. You need to have a basic high battery capacity setup and then either recharge the batteries with Solar when the sun is out or with a generator when allowed to run one. You could even add some roof mounted turret type wind generators to the battery re-charge plan as well. They look like attic vents on homes...

It will take some serious planning I think to be successful...

Just my thoughts
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The specs say: "Consists of a 40W solar panel, 60 amp-hr. battery,"

It is almost criminal that they even dare to call this an "1800w" system. No, this is NOT what you want.

It's way expensive, and that battery is about 1/2 the capacity of even ONE 12v rv battery. It wouldn't last one night running your stuff.

You'll get more responses with other suggestions. Good thing you asked first.

Solar is generally not a 'plug and play' operation. Google "solar basics" or on youtube and do a bit of homework!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman