cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Steering Pulling to Right on Allegro RED

mclee47
Explorer
Explorer
We have an 36' Allegro RED purchased last September. The steering has been pulling to the right since we drove it off the lot, and I have to hold left pressure to keep it running straight ahead. I assumed the problem was a misaligned front end and, we took care of coach repair issues, which took two months, before taking it to the Freightliner service center for the steering problem. They said the alignment was "way off," and they had to rotate the steering wheel to keep it straight. In fact, they had a terrible time getting the steering wheel off. I left for home with the rig and discovered the steering wheel was not straight and took it back. I also noticed that it was still pulling to the right but wrote it off to the wind, although I did tell them about it. They adjusted the steering wheel, and I headed home again. The steering still pulls to the right. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing this problem?
Lee, KV5M
2018 Winnebago View
Huntsville, TX
10 REPLIES 10

mclee47
Explorer
Explorer
I decided to give the Bryan Freightliner Service Center one more chance before doing something drastic like heading for Gaffney. They found an airbag with a stripped bolt I think it was on the right side, and the chassis was not leveling properly. That is undoubtedly the problem. They should have checked that when I had it in last. They are going to recheck the alignment as well. Unfortunately they do not have the part in stock, and I have to leave the rig until next week.

As I have told many people, the last step in the motor home manufacturing process is the buyer.
Lee, KV5M
2018 Winnebago View
Huntsville, TX

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
As little as being off 3-4lbs in the air pressure on the front tires will make a difference in steering. Also there will be a natural tendency for a little pull to the right from the crown in the road, but this should not require a lot of constant left pressure on the steering. What I've done to help reduce the road crown pull is add about 3-4lbs more to the right front, then the left, but still keeping it within the pressure requirements based on the weighing weight of the front tire.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
And I should add: A defective tire can cause a pull. Implausible as it sounds, they can and they do.
You shouldn't have to be troubleshooting this for your RV dealer or chassis shop, but suggesting they just cross-rotate the front tires could at least eliminate one possibility.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to repair school buses. When those dual-rear-wheel vehicles had a dragging REAR brake, they just "went" to that side. It was a different feel than when the front end tried to "pull" it to one side. Best way I can describe it is it felt more like an un-commanded lane change than a forced change.
Is any one brake hotter than the rest?
Is one front brake hotter than the other?
Is one rear brake hotter than the other?
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
In a proper alignment it should not be necessary to pull the steering wheel, The adjustments are all UNDER the chassis.

There are several things that can cause the symptoms you cite.

Alignment is Suspect #1
Tire inflation.. Get the rig weighed, 4 corner and make sure the tires, epically the FRONT tires are properly inflated for the load they are holding up. NOTE that the inflation may be different on each side.

Brakes, if one is dragging...

Steering stablizers: Improperly adjsuted.

Damage to frame

Rear suspension/alignment.

Wind, road slope, and more.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Leewhiz
Explorer
Explorer
Give the Tiffin Factory a call, and they will make sure you get the right place to look at it. If it doesn't get fixed then call Bob Tiffin. I can guarantee you that it will be taken care of.
Lee
2008 Tiffin Phaeton QDH

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
8 degrees or 80 degrees, he didn't know what HE was talking about either!! Take it to a heavy truck alignment shop that knows how to check the coach ride height(very critical on a Freightliner chassis) and does a lot of bus type alignments. You may want to invest in a trip to the Freightliner FACTORY Service Center in Gaffney, SC.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Exactly. At least if you have the numbers you will know for sure one way or another.

mclee47
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
It should be plainly obvious that whoever you took it to the first time had no clue what they were doing. But to be on the safe side go to the scales and get accurate weight at all four corners. Then take it to a qualified truck alignment shop and get it redone right.

The service center was Bryan (Texas) Freightliner. I did not leave the shop with a great deal of confidence in them. It puzzles me why the alignment of a rig with only a bit over 2000 miles should be so far off. Would Freightliner let it leave the factory that that far out of alignment? I talked to the tech a bit, and he told me that the correct alignment number should be 8 degrees but that it was actually 80 degrees. I do not know enough about truck front end geometry to understand what that means but that sounds like a major difference.

Anyway, when you suggest weight the four corners, are you suggesting that it might not be loaded properly?
Lee, KV5M
2018 Winnebago View
Huntsville, TX

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
It should be plainly obvious that whoever you took it to the first time had no clue what they were doing. But to be on the safe side go to the scales and get accurate weight at all four corners. Then take it to a qualified truck alignment shop and get it redone right.