cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stinky fresh water

landiwiley
Explorer
Explorer
After a couple years of traveling during the winter with the trailer we had recently purchased and having issues with the fresh water smelling (particularly in the bathroom vanity sink)I believe I have found the solution to the problem.

The old trailer did not have a problem with smelly water but the new one did. This started happening after about 2 weeks of use.

I finally realized the difference between the two trailers was that the newer one had laundry prep plumbing, tapped into the plumbing immediately after the bathroom sink. Evidently what was happening was the water was stagnating in the lines to the laundry, even though the lines had never been in use. The solution was to install valves in the lines at the point the plumbing was tapped in at the bathroom sink. After having done this about a week ago the problem seems to be gone.
9 REPLIES 9

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always use "taste pure" and do not have any problems.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
I took out the anode rod and put a ball valve drain in it's place. The anode rod was causing the stink, I believe because it has never happened again. AND I can flush the tank under pressure any time and drain it quickly.

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
The only time I get stinky water is when the water heater gets bacteria in it. The hot water will smell like rotten eggs. Drain and flush the water heater a few times and the smell will go away.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
tenbear wrote:
Some RVs have the bathroom sink plumbed into the black tank. Normally this does not cause a problem as long as the P trap is kept full of water. If the P trap gets dry, it could be the source of a bad smell.

I believe the OP is talking about the water having an odor, not the drain.

Sometimes its hard to tell the difference.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
tenbear wrote:
Some RVs have the bathroom sink plumbed into the black tank. Normally this does not cause a problem as long as the P trap is kept full of water. If the P trap gets dry, it could be the source of a bad smell.

I believe the OP is talking about the water having an odor, not the drain.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a water filter bacteria can breed in them. I removed mine.
Hot water heaters can do it too.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know what the proplem was, but water don't go of and start smelling in 2 weeks.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.