cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Teflon tape

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
What is the difference between yellow (for gas applications) and white Teflon tape?
15 REPLIES 15

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
The first time you pay an RV service place to pull little pieces of yellow teflon tape out the orifices on your furnace, water heater or cook top, you'll stop using tape and go to something like Loctite teflon dope.

Man!! Isn't that the truth. Teflon tape particles have cost RVers a fortune over the years. That's not including homeowners and others.
Nothing beats a good pipe dope.
jwmII

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
The first time you pay an RV service place to pull little pieces of yellow teflon tape out the orifices on your furnace, water heater or cook top, you'll stop using tape and go to something like Loctite teflon dope.

The ironic thing is that I had to flush out pipe dope pieces from the original install of the anode rod in my water heater. I use the white tape, not have it near the first two threads, and it works adequately.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anything with NPT pipe threads I use this:

From the mfr:

"RectorSeal T Plus 2 pipe thread sealant is a non-setting, multi-purpose compound which contains PTFE, plus synthetic fibers to create a stronger seal. Recommended for use on threaded galvanized steel, iron, brass, copper, aluminum, stainless steel, polyethylene, fiberglass reinforced, PVC, CPVC, and ABS pipe. T Plus 2 may be pressurized immediately following application. Conforms to TT-S-1732."

Approved for any gas except oxygen.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
jplante4 wrote:

That happens only if the tape is improperly applied. As long as you wind it on clockwise and put it on the threads only, it won't be a problem.

Do NOT put the tape, or any pipe dope, on the first 2 threads from the end of the pipe.

Dusty

Lady_Fitzgerald
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:

That happens only if the tape is improperly applied. As long as you wind it on clockwise and put it on the threads only, it won't be a problem.
Jeannie

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
So if a person didn't want to concern himself with whether to use white or yellow tape even though the applications are quite apparent( I'm a bit anal and want to keep things simple but also use the best) then I could just use yellow tape for water and/or gas applications? I'm aware that one should not use too much tape which could compromise the sealing of the threads.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
wd wrote:
I've always been told wind tight and clockwise looking at the end of the threads

This is correct. It is easiest to roll it backwards off of the roll, pressing on the end with your thumb, wrapping it clockwise. The first three threads and two to three wraps are the most important to cover properly, then the rest, up to the last thread, can be done with less care.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

wd
Explorer
Explorer
I've always been told wind tight and clockwise looking at the end of the threads

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wind it so that tightening the connection will not unwind it.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I have to ask you guys, in what direction do you wind on the tape. clock wise or counter

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
The yellow tape has more tensile strength, doesn't shread as easily as the white and it seals smaller imperfections in pipe threads than the white. I could use white tape on a joint and have it not leak at 300psi with water, but the same joint might leak with only 50psi of air/gas.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looked it up.

White- single density, should only be used on NPT threads up to 3/8 inch in diameter.
โ€ขYellow โ€“ double density, often labeled as โ€œgas tapeโ€
โ€ขRed of Pink โ€“ triple density, required on all joints 1/2? or larger.
โ€ขGreen โ€“ oil Free PTFE tape, required for use on all lines carrying oxygen (i.e. โ€“ medical oxygen or welding oxygen lines).
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
The yellow tape is thicker.
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.