cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Official unofficial CPE 2000i Generator Thread

pritch272
Explorer
Explorer
8/1/2010 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: Champion Inverter and Remote Gens Promo on CPE's web site)

3/22/2011 edit: Thread renamed ...
Renamed from: Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

3/23/2011 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: (Un)Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

Inverter Available August 2010

Remote Available July 2010

2007 Keystone Laredo 29RL, 2000 Ford F250 7.3 PSD, Firestone bags, Pressure Pro, 16" Michelin XPS Ribs, MorRyde Pin Box, Dexter EZ-Flex, PI EMS-HW30C, Dirt Devil CV950 Central Vacuum, 2000W AllPower by Kipor, 4000/3500W Champion C46540
2,927 REPLIES 2,927

canadiankid
Explorer
Explorer
Did the used ones say what was wrong with them? How much were they?
2010 Tundra Crewmax 2WD 5.7
2009 Greywolf 22BH

83trekker
Explorer
Explorer
Went to my costco reject store here, and they had 2 of these for sale so, so far they have had 2 returned to Costco and this store re sells them, so there have been problems with the early version gen set here and they havent been out for too long.

GrWhiteNorth
Explorer
Explorer
Update: Well I went out last week and purchased the Canadian version (73552I) 2000W CPE generator from Costco. Being busy I didn't get to start it up until yesterday. Added oil. Added fuel. Started first pull....and purred like a kitten. However, after trying multiple connections noticed that it was not producing AC. Called customer service and got someone right away, they figured the AVR? needed adjusting but only recommended a qualified person do it. They asked for my address and gave me a address/tel number for the closest repair depot (which was in the same town).

I decided to take it back to Costco and received a replacement one without any hassle. Started this one today, same procedure....and it works! Still haven't had any real world trials with it, but we are heading out on Sunday for a week.
2008 KZ Coyote 20C
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
pritch272 wrote:
jas67 wrote:
It would be interesting to see the output of these (and the Hondas and Yamahas) on a scope?

If you look at the power inverter market, there huge difference in price and quality of power produced.

Any conventional generator is going to put out a sine wave, but inverters are another store. All cheap inverters are square wave (not to common any more) or modified-sine (most cheap ones). Pure sign inverters usually cost 2-5X the price of modified sign unit.

I would be willing to bet that the are probably some differences in power quality.

I had some modified sign inverters for power backup at my house, but I sold them because they were hard on motors. Fans sounded bad running on them (loud 60hz hum), and the motors in general ran a lot warmer on them. I didn't want to have to replace my well pump (again), or cause the premature death of a fridge or freezer.

If the CPE inverter is modified-sine output, then it might shorten the life of AC compressors used with them.

Just a thought...

I specifically asked about the quality of the sine wave, CPE's reply:

"Our inverter does not have a stepped voltage or โ€œmodifiedโ€ sine wave. Our inverter produces a pure sine wave with total harmonic distortion levels less than 3%. This is comparable to the Honda and Yamaha units."

Soon we will have folks giving side by side tests of the New Champion 2000w Inverter with H & Y, it's interesting even the folks at Champion are using H & Y as the standard. The 'Gold Standard' is set with these two. All Chinese Inverters will be required to measure up to the standard already set.

Anyone know if this new Champion has all new patents on engine and electronics. Is it produced in their own factory? Is it time for H & Y to fade? Most RV folks are waiting the answers.

byates
Explorer
Explorer
professor95 wrote:
byates wrote:

you might want to upgrade that red phone to a black one with a dial-it would go better with that executive desk chair.

You like my phone? What if I told you that was the phone for the "Hot Line" in the Oval office when Nixon was President?

It is a classic and has better audio reproduction than any of my newer (Chinese?) phones.

BTW - I DO have a black rotary. It is just not plugged in.

In that case, keep the red phone on display and in use. Regardless of Nixon's faults, none female related that I know of, I believe he was one of the great presidents. In fact I have a certificate of appreciation from him for my service in Viet Nam. I know it was only one of hundreds of thousands printed, but I have kept it through the years.

pritch272
Explorer
Explorer
professor95 wrote:
If you want, I can even give you a hair cut while you are here waiting for your lamp. Just be sure to bring the size bowl you want me to put over your head.

I'd be tempted to take you up on your offer, but the problem is I don't have very much left. When I tell the DW I'm going to get a haircut, she asks "which one"?
2007 Keystone Laredo 29RL, 2000 Ford F250 7.3 PSD, Firestone bags, Pressure Pro, 16" Michelin XPS Ribs, MorRyde Pin Box, Dexter EZ-Flex, PI EMS-HW30C, Dirt Devil CV950 Central Vacuum, 2000W AllPower by Kipor, 4000/3500W Champion C46540

canadiankid
Explorer
Explorer
professor95 wrote:

What you WILL notice from the inverter engines compared to the engines used on the synchronous generators is the tone is different. The frequency of the exhaust note is not as harsh - even at full load. The mechanical noise evident in an open frame synchronous generator is not there either. Noise or loudness is not just about what a db meter shows, it can vary to the human ear depending on the frequency range. Thus, 64 db from one source can easily present itself louder to the human ear than 64 db from a different source. We experience this every day.

Good point. It is also worth mentioning that different tones can keep their high DB level for longer distances than some other tones. It is nice when you can hide your gen in the bushes behind a tree and barely hear it at all.
2010 Tundra Crewmax 2WD 5.7
2009 Greywolf 22BH

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
dro1984 wrote:
Hi folks! I hope you find this useful, but CPE updated their site with the following info: Champion Inverter Gen.
In a nutshell, it appears to be a little louder (6db) at full load vs. Honda. It's abit heavier too by a few pounds.
Also, I've seen them advertised for about $699 (preorder from BackupGenerator.com).
Based off all this, I'm still very happy with my purchase of a Honda EU2000i. I enjoy the lower db. No regrets!
-Dave.

The EU2000i is a great generator. You should get many years of service from it.

The Champion inverter is still somewhat of an untested unit in our RV environment. While I cannot (yet) tell you what the db figures or fuel consumption will actually be compared to a red, blue or yellow inverter of the same size, I have a strong feeling that we will discover that they are NOT significantly different. What CPE has done is disclose honest-to-goodness performance figures at differing loads.

As mentioned before I own a Kipor 2000i inverter generator. It has been tested side-by-side with the 2000 Honda. As far as I am concerned the overall performance is equal. That said, the Kipor is in the 64 to 65 dbA range at full load. I believe you will find that your Honda will hit the same numbers.

What you WILL notice from the inverter engines compared to the engines used on the synchronous generators is the tone is different. The frequency of the exhaust note is not as harsh - even at full load. The mechanical noise evident in an open frame synchronous generator is not there either. Noise or loudness is not just about what a db meter shows, it can vary to the human ear depending on the frequency range. Thus, 64 db from one source can easily present itself louder to the human ear than 64 db from a different source. We experience this every day.
Professor Randy T. Agee & Nancy Agee. Also Oscar, the totally ruined Dachshund.
2009 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel - 2004 Volvo VNL670 class 8 MotorHome conversion as toter.
Turbocharged, 12L, 465 HP and 1,800 ft. Lbs. of torque.

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
byates wrote:

you might want to upgrade that red phone to a black one with a dial-it would go better with that executive desk chair.

You like my phone? What if I told you that was the phone for the "Hot Line" in the Oval office when Nixon was President?

It is a classic and has better audio reproduction than any of my newer (Chinese?) phones.

BTW - I DO have a black rotary. It is just not plugged in.
2009 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel - 2004 Volvo VNL670 class 8 MotorHome conversion as toter.

jas67
Explorer
Explorer
I like the parallel kit, with the RV plug and twist lock.
It also mounts nicely.

I'm still happy with my twin EU2000i's.
2006 Jayco 31BHDS
2006 F-350 SRW,4WD,6.0L Powerstroke,5 speed auto,crew/long bed
Equalizer Hitch
Previous Rig:
2004 Coachman 106 (2,000lb GVW, 1526 DVW) --SOLD.
2000 BMW 323iT (Sport Wagon, 2.5L, 5 speed manual)

dro1984
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks! I hope you find this useful, but CPE updated their site with the following info: Champion Inverter Gen.
In a nutshell, it appears to be a little louder (6db) at full load vs. Honda. It's abit heavier too by a few pounds.
Also, I've seen them advertised for about $699 (preorder from BackupGenerator.com).
Based off all this, I'm still very happy with my purchase of a Honda EU2000i. I enjoy the lower db. No regrets!
-Dave.

byates
Explorer
Explorer
professor95 wrote:
MrWizard wrote:
It looks like brass lamp factory

What lamp height do you need? My metal lathe is small and will only go to 14" - but I can do more than one section and put them together.

If you want, I can even give you a hair cut while you are here waiting for your lamp. Just be sure to bring the size bowl you want me to put over your head.

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:

What lamp height do you need? My metal lathe is small and will only go to 14" - but I can do more than one section and put them together.

MrWizard
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
Prof,

Don't see any blood on that thar band finger cuttin' thinky. As for the beautiful shop, just make this old and slow guy do a little sinin' Envy, ya know.:B Tell Nancy, we think see must be an Angel.