cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Official unofficial CPE 2000i Generator Thread

pritch272
Explorer
Explorer
8/1/2010 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: Champion Inverter and Remote Gens Promo on CPE's web site)

3/22/2011 edit: Thread renamed ...
Renamed from: Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

3/23/2011 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: (Un)Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

Inverter Available August 2010

Remote Available July 2010

2007 Keystone Laredo 29RL, 2000 Ford F250 7.3 PSD, Firestone bags, Pressure Pro, 16" Michelin XPS Ribs, MorRyde Pin Box, Dexter EZ-Flex, PI EMS-HW30C, Dirt Devil CV950 Central Vacuum, 2000W AllPower by Kipor, 4000/3500W Champion C46540
2,927 REPLIES 2,927

PrivatePilot
Explorer
Explorer
Wowzers. Never had that issue with mine and I have the stock converter in our Cougar. I would have figured given the pitifully low amp output of most converters (is the WFCO model in question high amp output?) that it would be unlikely to overload a genny.

Is it just the initial surge when the trailer is plugged into the generator that is causing the trip..and once the converter is powered up and the charge cycle is started it can be safely reduced to econo mode again?
30' Keystone Cougar 5'er, Triple Bunkhouse, SuperSlide.
Chevy 3500 1 Ton long box crew cab dually
6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4.11 Rears, LSD, Fresh rebuild spring 2012.
Dieselplace.com Staff Member

Our 2008 western adventure - to the coast and back!

Mark

curt12914
Explorer
Explorer
My buddy's DP motorhome will do the same thing to one of my Honda EU2000i's. I don't know what he has for a converter / charger, but when his bateries are low, it will immediately overload one generator.
2021 F-350 Platinum 4X4 PSD SRW 2016 Montana 3950FL (2) Honda EU2000i's
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors

A_Few_Bricks_Sh
Explorer
Explorer
PrivatePilot wrote:
A Few Bricks Short wrote:
With the batteries somewhat depleted, I had to turn the econo mode switch to Off at first. After it had charged for a little while (half an hour?) I was able to turn the switch back on without stalling,.

Are you saying that your *converter* alone was stalling the generator?

Yes. If the generator was idling with no load while the econo switch was on, plugging in the trailer would cause it to cut out. I can't recall if it stalled or whether the overload circuitry kicked in. In any case, if I turned the econo switch off it handled the charging without a hiccup.

RT12567
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everyone,
I have been following this thread for some time now without posting anything. Interesting stuff, even when thread went slightly off course from the topic for a bit.
Basically, from all your posts, I can see some very good reasons to try out this CPE 2000 inverter.
1. Price
2. Gen Size and weight compared to rated output.
3. CPE as a company.
4. My own power requirements.

I plan on picking one up at the local Sam's club today and I will give it a preliminary try out up in the mountains of upstate NY this weekend. I'll try and let you know how it turns out.

Thank you one and all for your informative (and entertaining) talk about this product.
Ray
2004 Grand Cherokee
2004 Sunnybrook 2406 ultralite

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
I think someone mentioned the New Champion Inverter is not variable speed for a load. Either vary low dwaw or set for max output. No one to my knowledge has posted any results of operating a standard 1200w Microware. The video of the max output sounded rather loud. We should soon have some real experience being posted soon. We all are waiting. With Fluke and Kill-A-Watt.

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
PrivatePilot wrote:
With the batteries somewhat depleted, I had to turn the econo mode switch to Off at first. After it had charged for a little while (half an hour?) I was able to turn the switch back on without stalling,.

Mark,

It is entirely possible. If you go back and look at Wayne's testing of the WFCO inverter with his power analyzer you will see the 120 VAC load can easily make a 2,000 watt generator come off of eco and struggle. One would not think this would be true, but for some converters it apparently is.

I doubt this is a failure on the part of the generator. Would happen to any model in the same power class. Just a crappy deign for the converter.
Professor Randy T. Agee & Nancy Agee. Also Oscar, the totally ruined Dachshund.
2009 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel - 2004 Volvo VNL670 class 8 MotorHome conversion as toter.
Turbocharged, 12L, 465 HP and 1,800 ft. Lbs. of torque.

Aero_Guy
Explorer
Explorer
Specularius wrote:
Aero Guy wrote:
...Now, in a couple of weekends we will be overnighting at the local renaissance festival and we will secure them at all times. That is a totally different crowd than we encounter at most normal campgrounds.

I am planning on being there the second weekend of October. I would like see your generator if you will be there that weekend too. We could compare it to a Honda 2000 side by side.

Do you mean the second weekend of October (as in the weekend of the 9th/10th) or the second weekend of the Festival (16th/17th)?

We'll be there the 9th/10th (opening weekend).
Ruler of all that I survey....and that ain't much!!

PrivatePilot
Explorer
Explorer

30' Keystone Cougar 5'er, Triple Bunkhouse, SuperSlide.
Chevy 3500 1 Ton long box crew cab dually
6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4.11 Rears, LSD, Fresh rebuild spring 2012.
Dieselplace.com Staff Member

Our 2008 western adventure - to the coast and back!

Mark

A_Few_Bricks_Sh
Explorer
Explorer
Old & Slow wrote:
Makes one wonder when you click on the profile of many new posters on this thread.:h

What ever happened to 'Tony F' and many others that come on and post about their new Champion and we never hear back from them.

Sorry O&S - I resemble that remark. ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm one of the early adopters. Sorry I haven't been able to post any updates. Truth be told, we only used the genset on one trip to charge the batteries a couple of times. I tried to get it to start the 13.5K BTU A/C but no go. I wasn't expecting that to work without a hard start kit. Didn't try the microwave as we have yet to use it.

With the batteries somewhat depleted, I had to turn the econo mode switch to Off at first. After it had charged for a little while (half an hour?) I was able to turn the switch back on without stalling, and the RPMs and therefore noise level dropped. It's not all that loud even with econo mode off, but with it on I'm especially happy with the noise level. I think for our purposes - occasional battery charging - it'll be perfect. It's light, small and quiet.

I don't have a SPL meter but do have a Kill-A-Watt and a Fluke scope meter so maybe when I get time I can hook up various resistive and inductive loads and see how it does.

Specularius
Explorer
Explorer
Aero Guy wrote:
...Now, in a couple of weekends we will be overnighting at the local renaissance festival and we will secure them at all times. That is a totally different crowd than we encounter at most normal campgrounds.

I am planning on being there the second weekend of October. I would like see your generator if you will be there that weekend too. We could compare it to a Honda 2000 side by side.
2015 F-350 DRW 6.7 Scorpion Diesel Reese Ford Hitch
2014 Grand Design Momentum 355TH

MrWizard
Its the.visitors who have had to much ALE and lost their good manners
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

W8NONU
Explorer
Explorer
Aero Guy wrote:
Now, in a couple of weekends we will be overnighting at the local renaissance festival and we will secure them at all times. That is a totally different crowd than we encounter at most normal campgrounds.

I wouldn't think that people needed power during medieval times. I guess that's why they're going crazy stealing generators at renaissance festivals. They've never been exposed to electricity nevertheless a portable power source. :B

Aero_Guy
Explorer
Explorer
Old & Slow wrote:
Aero Guy wrote:
JConatser wrote:
Aero Guy wrote:
... Here they are all hooked up and powering the pup...

Looking good... don't forget about low-life thieves running around out there.

Haha, this is actually in my driveway, so no worries there. But, rest assured, I have a set of cable locks that will travel anywhere these do!

They will be getting their first full field test as a pair in a couple of weeks. We'll be fully self contained camping, so these will be put to the test.

I have kin folks in Houston interested in this new Champion Inverter. Will you please give the location of the Sam's Club you bought the two units from. You might also give us more info' on how you will chain the two units to the PUP and how you find the operation of the Microwave?

These were bought at the Sam's Club located at Fuqua/I-45 South. The location at Fannin and 610 South also had them, as well as the El Dorado/I-45 South location. At the time of purchase these stores all had between 8-10 of them.

I do not have a microwave in the PUP yet, but will be purchasing one (600watt) and will report back when I use it with the generators.

As far as securing them, I will be using a pair of cable locks and they will be secured to the bumper. When we will be away for long periods of time (during a race for example) they will likely go inside the pup. The main places we would be using them (tailgating, nascar weekends) we have never had problems with theft.

It's kind of like when we go to bike rallies, we leave our helmets and jackets unsecured and they are always there (wouldn't do that anywhere else). I suppose it's just a case of folks taking care of their own.

Now, in a couple of weekends we will be overnighting at the local renaissance festival and we will secure them at all times. That is a totally different crowd than we encounter at most normal campgrounds.
Ruler of all that I survey....and that ain't much!!

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
Makes one wonder when you click on the profile of many new posters on this thread.:h

What ever happened to 'Tony F' and many others that come on and post about their new Champion and we never hear back from them. Even the CEO of Champion will not answer any questions, like how many patents does Champion CPE own on this new Inverter? We need ol' Stg Friday.

SurfaceDreamer
Explorer
Explorer
canadiankid wrote:
Aero Guy wrote:

Is that 2 30 amp power plugs? That would be nice for sharing with a friend ๐Ÿ™‚

The kit has TT30 and L5-30R receptacles.

And not to hijack the thread but if somebody could send me some ideas on how to secure these I'd be appreciative. A 20mm cable lock just doesn't seem like it would be enough given what I've read in various places. I don't know how bad theft is of portable generators but I find myself being somewhat nervous after reading all the warnings.