cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Official unofficial CPE 2000i Generator Thread

pritch272
Explorer
Explorer
8/1/2010 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: Champion Inverter and Remote Gens Promo on CPE's web site)

3/22/2011 edit: Thread renamed ...
Renamed from: Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

3/23/2011 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: (Un)Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

Inverter Available August 2010

Remote Available July 2010

2007 Keystone Laredo 29RL, 2000 Ford F250 7.3 PSD, Firestone bags, Pressure Pro, 16" Michelin XPS Ribs, MorRyde Pin Box, Dexter EZ-Flex, PI EMS-HW30C, Dirt Devil CV950 Central Vacuum, 2000W AllPower by Kipor, 4000/3500W Champion C46540
2,927 REPLIES 2,927

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
Brent,

It looks really nice! What is your exhaust pipe extension made from?

I like the electric start feature - constantly going outside and then inside to start or stop a generator is a PITA.
Professor Randy T. Agee & Nancy Agee. Also Oscar, the totally ruined Dachshund.
2009 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel - 2004 Volvo VNL670 class 8 MotorHome conversion as toter.
Turbocharged, 12L, 465 HP and 1,800 ft. Lbs. of torque.

McZippie
Explorer
Explorer
Finished installing in my rig the Lifan 2000 electric start, inverter generator. Updated the thread with lots pictures. clicky

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
I realize this sound measurement field test set-up is not what is used to measure actual sound levels for advertising or determining what is listed in the specifications, but IMHO it is a realistic set-up as it duplicates what and where the generators will be placed and used. The meter is at 7 meters, the generators stacked and placed under the front of the 5th wheel. The only thing that would not be present is the RV port with a metal roof that my fiver is sitting under. I really do not believe the RV port altered the sound level - if it did it would most likely increase the sound reading.

It was too cold for the A/C compressor to kick in - that test will need to wait for a warmer day.

With ONE inverter running the STATIC sound measurement was 57 dba. STATIC in my language is no A/C or microwave - just powering the camper from 120 VAC for lights, fridge, converter/charger, TV, satellite dish receiver, ice maker, ceiling fan, fan lights. The generator(s) are connected through the 30 amp generator supply cord which goes to the automatic transfer switch. The "normal" 50-50 amp power connection was not used. Actual amperage being drawn was not measured - I'll do that later (promise) when I have more time to experiment. I have a LED display A/C amp-meter with an in-line shunt that I need to wire up for insertion that I have not completed.

Anyway, with ONE inverter running in this mode this is the sound level meter reading:

Running the same STATIC load with TWO inverters in parallel produced a higher sound reading - which was expected.

Both readings are well under the standards for National Parks and should NOT be objectionable to other campers when using this set-up in a camping area where generators are allowed. In fact, you could sit under the awning and still carry on a conversation.

I do expect a higher sound level with the A/C running and the camper connected to both generators using the parallel adapter. Again, I need a warmer day to do that testing. The A/C compressor on my camper will NOT start unless the outside temperature is over 70 degrees. We may not get that until next year!
2009 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel - 2004 Volvo VNL670 class 8 MotorHome conversion as toter.

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
curt12914 wrote:

It sounds like poor engineering if you have to remove four phillips screws to merely check the oil. I thought the one screw that has to be removed on the Honda EU2000i was a PITA and I can use a coin to open that.

I agree. I'm not too crazy about taking an entire panel off each time I used the genny because I always check the oil level first. I strongly suspect their thinking was with the low oil shutdown switch people would not be checking oil between changes anyway - just my guess.

But, I did send an e-mail with a photo last week to CPE suggesting that a access port be added there that comes off with one screw and is large enough to reach in and remove the dip stick cap. So, we both saw and felt the same about the omission.

On mine I am considering an extension to the fill opening that comes out to a small opening in the case panel - sort of like their spark plug access that is covered with a rubber plug on the top case panel. Make a new cap with a longer dip stick. A couple of vertical shaft engines around here have that arrangement. Downside is it would be easy to overfill the crankcase if one did not measure and check. SuperGen Products is also offering a neat kit called "The Lazy Man's Oil Drain" that replaces the oil drain plug with a clear PVC tube that can be bent and conformed. It could be installed and brought out the bottom of the case to view oil level.

No, the warranty is not voided. The engine and electronics were not opened (but I wanted too :B )

People interested in the genny wanted to know more about how it was made, performed, etc. OK - now you know how it is cased and why I said it is built like a brick outhouse. The casing on the Honda, Yamaha and Kipor I have also been working with too cannot compare in structural integrity. They are strong, but not like this thing - it literally has a case over a case. Perhaps why it weighs up to 10# more than some of the other brands.

curt12914
Explorer
Explorer
On step #5, you state "Remove the 4 phillips head screws that hold on the side cover. This is the cover that must be removed to fill, check or change the oil".

It sounds like poor engineering if you have to remove four phillips screws to merely check the oil. I thought the one screw that has to be removed on the Honda EU2000i was a PITA and I can use a coin to open that.
2021 F-350 Platinum 4X4 PSD SRW 2016 Montana 3950FL (2) Honda EU2000i's
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors

rustycopperball
Explorer
Explorer
Is the warranty void now?:@ or this just betwee us;)

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
There was absolutely nothing on the telly last night that I wanted to watch.

I had finished my latest "good book" and the wife went to bed early.

With nothing to entertain me but the dog, I decided to assemble a picture story on how to "Skin" one of the CPE Inverter generators.

It takes about 10 minutes to strip one of all the casings. If you ever need to replace a module or just want to see what is inside this might be helpful.

BTW - this thing is built like a brick outhouse. Lot's of attention to detail and extremely well engineered. It should hold up well with banging around and "normal abuse".

The only issue I found that the manual did not address is the piece of foam in front of the exhaust for the alternator. It is going to act like a furnace filter and collect stuff sucked in from the air intake duct next door. It will require cleaning - depending on the operating environment - every oil change or sooner.

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
W8NONU wrote:
Professor, you're a lucky dog. Not even a couple weeks ago, you had no intention of buying one. Now you have the whole setup!!! What's the wife getting for Christmas?

:h
Well, she got the class 8 Volvo tractor last Christmas, and the Cedar Creek the Christmas before.

Maybe a Smart Car to sit sideways on the back of the Volvo would be nice this year :@

Just kidding - you can bet I take real good care of her - not just on special occasion days, but ALL THE TIME!

What they say about diamonds being a girl's best friend is true. But they love emeralds, rubies, topaz, pearls and gold too. :B

I think I will label the inverter twins "His and Hers" :R

W8NONU
Explorer
Explorer
Professor, you're a lucky dog. Not even a couple weeks ago, you had no intention of buying one. Now you have the whole setup!!! What's the wife getting for Christmas?

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
lovely
now for the number 1 big question

did you see a fuel pump ? so as to facilitate using an extended tank

from what I could see in the pictures I don't think it has one

my would be mounting and usage doesn't require or make it easy to use and extra tank , but I know others want to know

sorry about your son's camper, glad there were no serious injuries

Contrary to a statement in the manual referring to a fuel pump, there is not one that I can see. Gravity feed from tank to fuel valve to carburetor.

It is "possible" that there might be a diaphragm pump in the top of the carburetor plate that works off of internal vacuum - but I am not disassembling the carburetor to see right now.

This is the carburetor (photo below). The black hose on the left side of the carburetor is the 8mm (1/4") rubber fuel line. It goes straight to the fuel shut off valve on the tank.

Lack of a fuel pump may explain why the marine tank extended flow system had trouble working. The vacuum created in the tank was enough to shut off fuel flow to the carburetor but not great enough to pull from the auxiliary tank.

I think we can come up with a safe system to accomplish fuel transfer for extended run. I have some ideas, but just need more time to work with these little critters to discover their operational characteristics.

In the mean time, Brad's "bung" on an elevated 6 gallon marine tank sounds like the best approach

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
canadiankid wrote:

So if you don't mind me asking.. How much $$ for the set and the parallel connector?

No, I don/t mind. Total was #1,078 before the 5% sales tax got added on.

pritch272
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, how things change in the blink of an eye. Glad nobody was hurt. It was meant for you to purchase the generators, prof. There's absolutely no other explanation.
2007 Keystone Laredo 29RL, 2000 Ford F250 7.3 PSD, Firestone bags, Pressure Pro, 16" Michelin XPS Ribs, MorRyde Pin Box, Dexter EZ-Flex, PI EMS-HW30C, Dirt Devil CV950 Central Vacuum, 2000W AllPower by Kipor, 4000/3500W Champion C46540

canadiankid
Explorer
Explorer
professor95 wrote:

I had the $500 for one so that became a no-brainer. About the time my wife Nancy walked up, I spied the parallel connector wrapped on the top of the uppermost box. This was a "set" that was intend to be sold as a twin pair. No one there could provide an explanation other than, "What you see is what you can buy."

So if you don't mind me asking.. How much $$ for the set and the parallel connector?
2010 Tundra Crewmax 2WD 5.7
2009 Greywolf 22BH

BeatCJ
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, professor. Right now I'm getting by with the ultra cheap Harbor Fright $80 2 stroke 900 watt unit, but it's marginal. I could get one of the more expensive 2000 watt rated units, but I wonder "Why?". I await your info patiently.
Gordon
Now
2001 GMC 3500 DRW, Duramax
2021 Outdoors RV 250RDS
Old
1987 F-350 XLT Lariat SRW 6.9
1986 Western Wilderness Alpine Dinette 11

MrWizard
lovely
now for the number 1 big question

did you see a fuel pump ? so as to facilitate using an extended tank

from what I could see in the pictures I don't think it has one

my would be mounting and usage doesn't require or make it easy to use and extra tank , but I know others want to know

sorry about your son's camper, glad there were no serious injuries
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s