cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toilet filling with water by itself!

NHCampers
Explorer
Explorer
We are seasonal campers and have run into a very strange issue recently. The last two weekends, when we arrive at our camper the toilet has been full of water to the point it has overflowed.
As a part of my routine, I always turn the water off at the site to prevent the possibility of a leak and the water running unattended for 5 days. After the 1st time we found the toilet full, before leaving, I opened all the faucets to make sure there's no pressure in the lines. Last night when we arrived, the toilet was again overflowed?? Before we left last week, I put some chemical in the bottom of the bowl and it was still there. Clearly the toilet is filling from the fresh water fill but for the life of me I can't figure out why or how. If there's no water or pressure in the line, how? It's a Thetford foot operated unit and we're in our 4th season with this rig. Been RV'ing for 35 years and have never come across anything like this. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 315RE
Clearwater Campground, Meredith, NH
10 REPLIES 10

NHCampers
Explorer
Explorer
Well, the good news is the 5th wheel is not haunted. We returned last night and the toilet was NOT full of water. We took everyone's advice and disconnected the water line from the trailer. The really strange thing is that we have never had any additional water in the toilet while we're here. We've been out for the entire day and nothing. We left on a Sunday night and returned Tuesday and still nothing. Thanks for all the replies.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 315RE
Clearwater Campground, Meredith, NH

glorio
Explorer
Explorer
I have a sprayer on my toilet and it is connected to a vacuum breaker on the rear of the toilet
It is a check valve and maybe something to be look at because it connect to the water supply to the toilet. I also think you should replace the flush valve. Make sure you water heater was not left on
And an outside shower faucets were not left on and feeding hot expanded water in the cold side
And into the toilet.
I know this sounds far fetched but it could happen.
Good luck with your search for a solution.
less is more

Fleet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
When our toilet water valve failed, I went to Home Depot, got a ball valve shut off valve, some fittings, sone water line and two shark connectors and plumbed that combination into the water line before the water valve as a temporary measure until I could get a replacement water valve. I left the shut off mechanism installed should I ever need it again.
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H
Toad, '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue OX, Aventa
US Gear UBS

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never leave your unit for an extended period without turning the water source OFF!!

Jim

calamus
Explorer
Explorer
webhannet wrote:
First things first - get a new water valve for the toilet!

If all the water coming INTO the trailer is off, is your water tank HIGHER than your toilet valve?

Color in the bottom of the toilet only indicates that nothing is comeing from BELOW, and I suspect your nose would know if it was.

It's an interesting question, but I suspect it'll be an easy fix. You might also install a toilet line shut-off (like at home) if you don't have one. Be sure to check that the toilet valve actuator rod or cable isn't somehow pinched causing it to be too short.

x2 the toilet valve is not holding and it sucking water out of the fresh water tank. We had to stick a stop in our line also because it has a drip from lack of use. so we only turn it on when we are at the camper.
2015 3500HD Chevy Dually Duramax, 2008 Sundance 2014 22'SSX bennington pontoon

webhannet
Explorer
Explorer
First things first - get a new water valve for the toilet!

If all the water coming INTO the trailer is off, is your water tank HIGHER than your toilet valve?

Color in the bottom of the toilet only indicates that nothing is comeing from BELOW, and I suspect your nose would know if it was.

It's an interesting question, but I suspect it'll be an easy fix. You might also install a toilet line shut-off (like at home) if you don't have one. Be sure to check that the toilet valve actuator rod or cable isn't somehow pinched causing it to be too short.

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
A few theories.

What if your campground neighbor or the groundskeeper is turning your water an and off while you're gone? the pressure in the lines would bleed off as it leaks into the toilet.

You have a leak at the spigot that is smaller than the leak into the toilet. So the spigot leaks but the system never pressurizes as the toilet valve leaks faster.

Here's a couple of suggestions.

Fix the toilet fill valve.

Disconnect the water hose after turning off the spigot.

Or you could buy a garden hose Y adapter at Home Depot or Lowes to screw onto the spigot before the hose. Then when you go home turn off the spigot, turn off the valve on the Y adapter that goes to the trailer. Open the other side of the Y adapter so that any leaks can spill onto the ground.

Notify management to keep an eye out for a mud puddle under the adapter so they can fix the spigot leak before you get back the next weekend.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
If the pump and water connection is indeed off, the only other possibility would be thermal expansion. Nevertheless, your toilet valve needs repaired/replaced.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Possibly the outside tap does not fully shut off? Try shutting it off and disconnecting the hose. Also make sure there's no water in the fresh tank and/or the pump is shut off. If the toilet continues to fill after that, call in a shaman! :E :B
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing I can think of for water to get in is possibly the water pump is on and you don't know it?
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006